Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#80146 by hometurf
Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:34 am
I have a Ooma telo that seems to not be able to exit the bootloader.
The Ooma device is connected to my dsl modem and homeport connected to home router.
When I power the unit, the 1 and 2 are on, then trash and email and finally the bottom rows sequencing from left to right.
At this point, it never progresses to Ooma logo so cannot factory reset.

If it never moves beyond this point, what would most likely be the cause?
Are there any other key combinations or technical operation that can be performed.

Thanks for any assistance, so far Ooma support is worthless....

hometurf
#80147 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:18 am
hometurf wrote:I have a Ooma telo that seems to not be able to exit the bootloader.
The Ooma device is connected to my dsl modem and homeport connected to home router.
When I power the unit, the 1 and 2 are on, then trash and email and finally the bottom rows sequencing from left to right.
At this point, it never progresses to Ooma logo so cannot factory reset.

If it never moves beyond this point, what would most likely be the cause?
Are there any other key combinations or technical operation that can be performed.

Thanks for any assistance, so far Ooma support is worthless....

hometurf

When I was in China I had to do the following procedure at two locations to allow me to connect with PPPoE. I learned later there is a "bug" in the PPPoE Ooma Telo setup.

Try accessing Ooma Setup by connecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo's home port to the wired network port on a computer. Reboot the Ooma telo, than allow the Ooma Telo to boot up as far as it will go, and than after a computer reboot, type in http://172.27.35.1, the Ooma setup page should open.
Click on Internet settings. In the internet setting page, click on the down arrow behind Connection Type and select Automatic. Click on update.

Note: If you can't reach the Ooma setup page and if the Ooma Telo doesn't boot up to the point where the top row of icons and 1 & 2 are flashing, disconnect the network cable from the modem to the Ooma Telo's Internet port and reboot the Ooma Telo again to make setting above. Reconnect the network cable to the modem to the Ooma Telo's Internet port after setting are made and Update is clicked.

Reboot the Modem, than after the Modem is done rebooting, reboot the Ooma Telo. This should allow the Ooma Telo boot to up to the point where the top row icons and 1& 2 are flashing. (It may even boot up all the way). If it doesn't boot up all of the way, sign in to the PPPoE window, with name and password, in your computer, as if the computer was connected directly to the modem. It will take about three or four minutes for the Ooma Icon to flash red, than solid blue.

After you have signed in to the PPPoE computer log-in this way once or twice, the Ooma Telo should remember the log-in information. So after a Ooma Telo reboot, it should fully boot without having to use the computer log-in.

Reconnect your router and reboot everything.

If you don't have the PPPoE sign on window configured on your computer, go to the computer Start menu, and click on Help. Search PPPoE. The help topic will give a step by step procedure on how to setup a PPPoE sign-in window.
#80198 by hometurf
Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:22 pm
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, none of your suggestions worked.
I could never login to the telo --- with or without internet or home network connection.

I appears it is stuck in the bootloader or something that is not launching the tcp stack.

I do have PPOE enabled on the Telo, and that's probably the issue. It has locked up before but a reboot usually solved the issue.

Are there any more tricks anyone is aware of? special key combo's? A hard reset?

I am out of options.

what's so frustrating is I have just passed my 1 year anniversary and this is my gift?...

hometurf
#80200 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:47 pm
hometurf:
The factory reset is Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to the Telo to issue a factory reset. But I don't know if it will work unless you can boot fully up.

One time, with nothing connected to the Ooma Telo except power, I was able to reboot the Ooma Telo repeatedly, over and over again, until the lights went to the top row flashing and the 1 & 2 flashing. When I reconnected to the see Ooma Setup, the Internet connection has changed by itself to Automatic.

It's probably a longshot, but worth a try.

You could check with the person that gave you the Ooma Telo as a gift and see if their credit card warrents a purchased device. Some credit cards will provide warrenty for up to two years.

The other thing that you might try is to call Ooma Customer Support and tell them that you might have the recently found PPPoE "bug", that might have caused your Ooma Telo to lock up. They may give you a special consideration? It would be worth a try.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#80322 by mimcdon
Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm
hometurf:
Have you been able to resolve this? I've had my telo for only 2 months, and I ran into this problem today. The telo is continuously rebooting and I can't get to the management interface to see how things are set up. Did ooma recently push out a bad firmware patch?

mimcdon
#80323 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm
mimcdon wrote:hometurf:
Have you been able to resolve this? I've had my telo for only 2 months, and I ran into this problem today. The telo is continuously rebooting and I can't get to the management interface to see how things are set up. Did ooma recently push out a bad firmware patch?

mimcdon

When you say the Ooma Telo is continuosusly rebooting, will it boot up to the solid blue Ooma icon and you get a dialtone, or does it boot part way and than start booting again by itself?

If it boots part way and than reboots by itself, what lights are flashing when it self reboots?

How doe you have your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Rotuer or Modem-Router-Ooma?
#80377 by hometurf
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:59 pm
mimcdon

No I have not been able to resolve this issue. I tried suggestions from thunderbird but no luck.
Support is useless unless you can get to someone with any techical knowledge of device.
#80386 by hometurf
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 pm
Ooma users,

From my experience Ooma does not stand behind its product
OR
There standard of quality is --- "If its warrantied for a year and it lasts 1 year and a Day" is acceptable.

And there option to me is "Buy a B stock or refurbished unit"...Uh!!!.....
So let me get this correct...Your "A" stock might last a year...so buy a "B" stock?... Boy, that sure sounds like a good deal.

You get what you pay for...
$200.00 for unit
$132.00 /yr with premier
$200.00 for a replacement ( if unit will las a yrt...pray )
--------------------------------------------------------------

Total experience with Ooma--> $532/yr for free a dialtone...?

Does someone on this forum think this is a deal? Probably.. like I believed a year ago.."Time is wisdom" they say..

Sounds like a company I want to do business with:
- The software is buggy
- The hardware is unreliable
- They do not care about customer satisfaction or reputation...there is a sucker around every corner.

But, you get a dialtone for $12/yr?

Ooma for Life!
#80418 by southsound
Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 pm
hometurf,
I understand that you are upset with your experience but may I ask a few questions? How did you pay for your ooma system? Many credit cards offer an extended warranty for free. I use either a Visa card or my Costco branded AmEx card and get an extra year on almost anything. I had a Pioneer receiver that died just outside the manufacturer's warranty so I called AmEx and they told me that they would send me a check equal to what I had paid - I then had my choice to repair the unit at my local repair shop or replace it with a new one - my choice. If you used a card, check to see what kind of warranty extension might be offered.

On another issue, I noticed that you did some rather creative financial manipulations when you figured the first year cost of an ooma system. You said:

$200.00 for unit
$132.00 /yr with premier
$200.00 for a replacement ( if unit will las a yrt...pray )

Wouldn't it just be the $200 for the unit plus Premier for $132 for a total of $332? I'm not sure why you would have another $200 during the first year. Maybe I'm not understanding something.
#80427 by mimcdon
Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:11 am
thunderbird:
I have an integrated modem-router in front of the Telo. During the reboot sequence, I don't get a dial-tone. When I disconnect and then reconnect the power connector to the device, I see this sequence:

* Buttons 1 and 2 go solid blue and then go out.
* Trash can and envelop buttons go solid blue briefly and then go out.
* Bottom four buttons flash blue in this order: reverse, stop, play, forward. This sequence flashing continues for several seconds and then all four buttons go out.
* The top three buttons (volume, brightness, page) flash blue for approximately 1 minute, and then go solid for about 30 seconds. All three button then go out.

This sequence continuously repeats itself.