Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#79091 by vicw
Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:03 pm
It's not a really big deal, and I couldn't find any other threads about this, so maybe it's just me, but I found the manner of selecting calls for display from the Call Logs less than intuitive.

At first I assumed I would just Select Incoming, or Outgoing or Missed Calls from the menu, but after fumbling around for a while, it finally dawned on me that it is really acting like a filter, so that you see any one or more of the three that is toggled to the dark blue selection. I guess that affords maximum flexibility in the selections, but I found it very confusing at first.

If you are currently looking at Incoming Calls, and want to switch to Outgoing, you have to Deselect Incoming and Select Outgoing. I've used a ton of menus over the years, and I don't usually get thrown off with them, but this one had me going for a bit. So, is it just me?
#79094 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm
You are right vicw, the filter function got me for the longest time too. Filter is on when the background is lighter.

Perhaps Ooma could give a confirmation box when a filter is turned on saying "missed calls filtered" or something like that.
#79104 by tomcat
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 am
Well, that would explain why I wasn't always seeing the results I expected to see. Always learning something new on the forum. I love it!

Thanks, vicw, for bring this up. :)
#79110 by tomcat
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 am
lbmofo - I'm afraid I didn't. The only time I really mess with the logs is when I am creating/modifying a contact entry or adding a number to my blacklist. I use my phone's CID for the day-to-day stuff.
#79113 by vicw
Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:05 am
I guess I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone, and in good company.

Based on your responses, and the contents of that other thread, it seems to me that there is certainly an opportunity for Ooma to make this setup more user friendly. I also wonder why there is no "?" or "Help" selection on the screen to provide directly accessible assistance for breaking the code on the Call Log.
#79122 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am
I think ooma can fix this easily. One option: put a checkbox on each category and make default all checked; show all. Checked = current dark highlight, unchecked = current lighter highlight (filter or don't show).
#79169 by EA PA
Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 pm
vicw wrote:I guess I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone, and in good company.

Based on your responses, and the contents of that other thread, it seems to me that there is certainly an opportunity for Ooma to make this setup more user friendly. I also wonder why there is no "?" or "Help" selection on the screen to provide directly accessible assistance for breaking the code on the Call Log.

"help" is always a nice feature, however with some basic human factors engineering this would not be required. Some things should just be intuitive.