Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#77750 by popcorn
Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am
My old configuration was Hub/Scout. I finally decided to upgrade to Hub/Hub with a new number for the new hub. This would allow me to go portable with the new Hub by forwarding line 1 and line 2 to the new Hub. The problem is that calls from Ooma users to the old Hub/Scout will not forward to the new Hub they ring on the old system and then go into voice mail. Calls from land lines forward just fine so it is obviously an Ooma problem.
#77775 by southsound
Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm
Maybe you could try adding Google Voice into the mix. Get a GV number and point it to the new hub. Then forward Number 1 and Number 2 on the old hub to the new GV number. You could also point the GV number to your cell phone if you like. Google Voice is free and no longer requires an invitation.
#77782 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:17 pm
SoundSound, what you proposed with GV should work great.
I can never get this straight but maybe this time, I will.

Will the new Hub's forward/multi-ring work (if OP provisions it) with calls coming in via GV?
I am thinking if Ooma know GV call coming in is a forwarded call, it won't do forward/multi-ring?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1300&start=10#p7717
#77790 by southsound
Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm
lbmofo wrote:Will the new Hub's forward/multi-ring work (if OP provisions it) with calls coming in via GV?
I am thinking if Ooma know GV call coming in is a forwarded call, it won't do forward/multi-ring?

My thought is that ooma will not recognize the call as another ooma call if GV is set to send the GV number as the call's CID. I can't recall who tried this in the past but I believe it was an adequate workaround. It is at least worth a shot. The setting for the GV CID is on the Calls tab of GV settings. The one you want to change is Caller ID (incoming). Set it to Display my Google Voice number.
#77801 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm
I've tested this and as SouthSound proposed, the GV solution works great.

Even with GV option to "reflecting caller's number."

Ooma 1 forwards to GV
GV forwards to Ooma 2

Above works great as long as non Ooma number calls Ooma 1.

A step further, I had Ooma 2 forward to cell 1 and then cell 1 forward to cell 2. Worked!

Non Ooma number calling Ooma 1 rings cell 2 no problem (Ooma 1 -> GV -> Ooma 2 -> cell 1 -> cell2).

Observations: with GV call screening on + cell 2 rejects the call or with GV call screening off + cell 2 doesn't answer (maybe Ooma 1's # of rings setting too short), Ooma 1's VM would kick in. The Ooma lady announces double 1's in front of the number (1-1-area code-7 digit number) when playing back message left. Yet, on my.ooma.com, the proper callerid is stamped on the VMs.
#77806 by tomcat
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 am
lbmofo wrote:If incoming call is from another Ooma, the forward (multi-ring as well) will not work.

viewtopic.php?t=10876#p76152

Why isn't an incoming call from another Ooma forwarded just like any other caller?
#77817 by southsound
Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 am
[quote="tomcat"Why isn't an incoming call from another Ooma forwarded just like any other caller?[/quote]
I believe it is out of a sense of caution to prevent an endless loop of forwarding. I'm not sure if blocking it is worth the inconvenience to those who have a need to use the feature but I'm glad that there is a free workaround.
#77819 by southsound
Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:27 am
lbmofo wrote:I've tested this and as SouthSound proposed, the GV solution works great.

Even with GV option to "reflecting caller's number."

Ooma 1 forwards to GV
GV forwards to Ooma 2

Above works great as long as non Ooma number calls Ooma 1.

A step further, I had Ooma 2 forward to cell 1 and then cell 1 forward to cell 2. Worked!

Non Ooma number calling Ooma 1 rings cell 2 no problem (Ooma 1 -> GV -> Ooma 2 -> cell 1 -> cell2).

Observations: with GV call screening on + cell 2 rejects the call or with GV call screening off + cell 2 doesn't answer (maybe Ooma 1's # of rings setting too short), Ooma 1's VM would kick in. The Ooma lady announces double 1's in front of the number (1-1-area code-7 digit number) when playing back message left. Yet, on my.ooma.com, the proper callerid is stamped on the VMs.

Thank you for the in-depth testing. It is great to confirm that we have a workable solution.
#78789 by nn5i
Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 pm
lbmofo wrote:If incoming call is from another Ooma, the forward (multi-ring as well) will not work.

viewtopic.php?t=10876#p76152

Wow, that's an egregious bug!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests