Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#78164 by Trinimd
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:30 pm
Yes its from OOMA
I received the same email. Same mistakes
#78172 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm
Trinimd wrote:Yes its from OOMA
I received the same email. Same mistakes


Wow :shock: I hope this did not come from the US
#78182 by AlpacaLips
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm
Come on, guys--cut the guy some slack. The important thing is that they are working on the problem. Should they do a better job of hiring people with perfect English skills? Of course. But I'd rather get this e-mail response than the incompetent telephone rep who had better English.

(Of course, if the problem still exists after a couple more weeks, my attitude may change....)
#78186 by nn5i
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:37 pm
AlpacaLips wrote:Because the errors in the message I received appear to be mostly "alternate forms" errors like plurals and tenses, rather than general lack of professionalism, I suspect this was written by a nearly but not quite fluent 2nd-language English user.

That's my guess, too, because the errors are so severe, so basic, and so numerous. Everyone, though, as Southsound implies, makes errors, and no one wants technical writing done by persons who have only non-technical skills. Everyone makes errors, and I have found that my own writing absolutely requires proofreading by someone other than me. I have a friend who does that for me, and I do it for him.

I don't think it was unprofessional of some techie writing in a second language to make mistakes; many techies can't even write intelligibly in their native tongue. But it was unprofessional of Ooma to publish the writings unedited.

I just now edited this message to correct one rather stupid error. Perhaps there are others that I'll find tomorrow.
#78188 by nn5i
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm
AlpacaLips wrote:Come on, guys--cut the guy some slack. The important thing is that they are working on the problem.

So they say.
#78189 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm
AlpacaLips wrote:Come on, guys--cut the guy some slack. The important thing is that they are working on the problem. Should they do a better job of hiring people with perfect English skills? Of course. But I'd rather get this e-mail response than the incompetent telephone rep who had better English.

(Of course, if the problem still exists after a couple more weeks, my attitude may change....)


Nonsense! I have invested hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a VOIP system and peripherals. When I purchase a product, I expect that the company will continue to operate throughout the service life of the equipment. I also expect a payback. Poor communications, or worse yet, the inability to communicate effectively to your customers send a message of incompetence. Retail businesses survive and flourish, in part from word of mouth. If potential customers are getting the message of incompetence and referrals cease to exist based upon emails of this nature from their “customer service” employees, then the business will not continue or at least experience a slowing of growth. For a new company, this usually equates to cash flow death. Therefore, there is no more company and I wasted my money. I am not fond of that eventuality.

I bought a Dell PC lots of years ago, had a blue screen of death, went through hours of troubleshooting from " customer service" India, looking at fail codes on LEDs they conclude its a motherboard. Reluctantly, I buy one. Ultimately its a damned RAM card (RAM fail code not displayed), my bad. Ill never buy one again. BUT, they were well established, OOMA not so much.

Company communications are important. They should be factual, precise, timely, and to a reasonable extent, written in proper English to customers in the US.

Even though I have had some technical issues, I have personally had reasonable responses to my issues via phone and e-mail.

I presumed that this was a fabricated post from a competitor due to its obvious shortcomings. However, there is a second post confirming that it was sent multiple times as is. I am no English major, but OOMA, really?
Last edited by EA PA on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#78190 by nn5i
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 pm
Perhaps it would be a kindness to fix it for them. Ooma, please feel free to use this edited version.

In order to provide customers with the best possible experience while Ooma grows its customer base, we update our systems from time to time. We have not yet developed a workaround for this problem, nor can we predict when it will be corrected. Our Network Operations Department is aware of your issue, and we hope to resolve it this weekend. Thank you for your patience.

There! Reduced from 90 to 65 words, and still says everything that was intelligible in the original. I'm unsure what the first sentence has to do with the rest of the message, but it wasn't any more relevant in the original. Also note that the second sentence is contradicted by the third. Were I actually proofing for publication, I'd ask the author about those things.
#78191 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:13 pm
nn5i wrote:Perhaps it would be a kindness to fix it for them. Ooma, please feel free to use this edited version.

In order to provide customers with the best possible experience while Ooma grows its customer base, we update our systems from time to time. We have not yet developed a workaround for this problem, nor can we predict when it will be corrected. Our Network Operations Department is aware of your issue, and we hope to resolve it this weekend. Thank you for your patience.

There! Reduced from 90 to 65 words, and still says everything that was intelligible in the original. I'm unsure what the first sentence has to do with the rest of the message, but it wasn't any more relevant in the original. Also note that the second sentence is contradicted by the third. Were I actually proofing for publication, I'd ask the author about those things.


Ahh - a breath of fresh air! One can only hope! Unfortunately, personnel / business plan infrastructure is often difficult to re-invent with efficiency :cry: .
#78194 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 pm
nn5i wrote:
EA PA wrote:Ahh - a breath of fresh air!

Thank you, EA PA. You're very kind.


You are welcome. However, it is not kindness that motivates my compliment. It is simply an acknowledgment of my admiration of your command of our (native) language. My job demands language precision. It is refreshing to see others who are concerned with language precision as well.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests