Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#74775 by Morac
Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm
I recently activated Ooma and I like that there is a Mobile site where I can play my voice mail message on my iPhone (though it would be nice if it came out the headset instead of the speaker). Anyway I've been seeing a reproducible issue which has me a bit wary.

I can log into the Mobile site on my iPhone and see my voice mail messages. I can then play a message. When the message ends, if I press "Done" it takes me back to a completely different voice mail message, one that is not mine. It seems to be a display issue since if I try to play that message, it just plays my message and if I go back to the mail voice mail list it correctly shows my voice mails. It's only when finishing playing back a voice mail that it occurs.

For example, here's my voice mail list, which has one item:

Here's what displays after I go back after I listen to the voice mail. It's always the same info:

I wasn't even a subscriber back in December. Even though I can't actually play that voice mail (it plays mine), it's bad that I can see the phone number, date and time of someone else's call.
Last edited by Morac on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#74777 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:18 pm
I was able to repeat this. I can't seem to find a consistent pattern on how this happens though.

Sometimes getting message detail and back (to inbox) a couple of times would do the trick but sometimes takes more tries. Sometimes bad data sticks for a bit and then back to accurate then back to some other random bad detail.

The erroneous details seem to come from real VMs in the Ooma system. Not sure if folks keep old VMs around that long but I've seen some bad details with datetime in the June timeframe. Usually, the bad detail only shows phone, datetime, duration but I've seen one with the Name too (not in my contacts).

Could be dup recycled sequence or id #?
#74815 by ntoy
Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm
Morac wrote:I recently activated Ooma and I like that there is a Mobile site where I can play my voice mail message on my iPhone (though it would be nice if it came out the headset instead of the speaker). Anyway I've been seeing a reproducible issue which has me a bit wary.

I can log into the Mobile site on my iPhone and see my voice mail messages. I can then play a message. When the message ends, if I press "Done" it takes me back to a completely different voice mail message, one that is not mine. It seems to be a display issue since if I try to play that message, it just plays my message and if I go back to the mail voice mail list it correctly shows my voice mails. It's only when finishing playing back a voice mail that it occurs.

For example, here's my voice mail list, which has one item:

Here's what displays after I go back after I listen to the voice mail. It's always the same info:

I wasn't even a subscriber back in December. Even though I can't actually play that voice mail (it plays mine), it's bad that I can see the phone number, date and time of someone else's call.

Hello,

I'm having our engineering team take a look.
#74837 by Morac
Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:57 pm
nextbond wrote:This could become a potential huge privacy issue for ooma.

How can i be assured that vmail on my ooma line cannot be viewed by others via mobile app or the web site?

I agree it's a privacy issue, but not a "huge" one. From my testing (albeit limited) you can't play anyone else's voice mail messages. Only the call details (calling number, date/time and duration) are displayed. I'm not sure what someone could really do with that information other than spam/prank call or text the number in which case it's probably just as easy to simply dial a random phone number.

Also I've only seen this on the mobile web site. I've not seen it on the regular web site. I don't have the mobile app, so I don't know if that's affected or not.
#74850 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 pm
It felt like looking at some random phone number from the phone book without names (most of the time).

Also, the erroneous VM detail doesn't show the associated Ooma number the VM was left for.