Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#72005 by stevei
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:40 am
I get a dial tone on the main handset connected to the Telo, but no dial tones on any other handset in the house.

Any ideas?
#72006 by murphy
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 am
stevei wrote:I get a dial tone on the main handset connected to the Telo, but no dial tones on any other handset in the house.

Any ideas?

Do you have the Telo's Phone jack connected to a building wall jack to feed the house?
Have you disconnected your old phone company at the NIB?
The Wall jack on the Telo is not used to feed a dial tone to your house.
#72009 by stevei
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 am
murphy wrote:
stevei wrote:I get a dial tone on the main handset connected to the Telo, but no dial tones on any other handset in the house.

Any ideas?

Do you have the Telo's Phone jack connected to a building wall jack to feed the house?
Have you disconnected your old phone company at the NIB?
The Wall jack on the Telo is not used to feed a dial tone to your house.

Thanks for trying to help.
Telo is connected directly to the phone. Nothing in the wall.
AT&T discontinued - don't know what NIB is.
Nothing connected to the wall jack on the Telo.
#72020 by murphy
Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 pm
Please describe your equipment in more detail.
If you only have one phone connected to the Telo, that is the only place you are going to get a dial tone.
If the phone connected to the Telo is a cordless base, it is responsible for connecting other cordless handsets.
#72021 by southsound
Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:43 pm
stevei wrote:Telo is connected directly to the phone. Nothing in the wall. AT&T discontinued - don't know what NIB is.
Nothing connected to the wall jack on the Telo.

So how are the remote handsets supposed to get dialtone? Are they cordless? If not, then you need to power your home's wiring using the PHONE jack on the back of the Telo. You can use a splitter to do this if you like. The NIB or Network Interface Box is where the ATT lines connect up to your home wiring. You need to unplug the little plug inside to disconnect your home from ATT's lines that go to a remote cabinet that may be sending voltage over them even if you no longer have ATT. In past postings you have said you have cable Internet - my instructions would be different if you had DSL.

Lest we forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#72041 by stevei
Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:17 pm
Problem resolved.
The Telo is plugged into a wall telephone plug with a splitter going to the handset.
The other handsets in the house are both wired and wireless. Once I disconnected the service from the AT&T box outside the house, I got dial tone on all handsets.

I got this solution from the Ooma FAQ section of their web site.

Thanks for attempts to help.
#72042 by southsound
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 pm
stevei wrote:Problem resolved.
The Telo is plugged into a wall telephone plug with a splitter going to the handset.
The other handsets in the house are both wired and wireless. Once I disconnected the service from the AT&T box outside the house, I got dial tone on all handsets.

I got this solution from the Ooma FAQ section of their web site.

Thanks for attempts to help.

I'm glad that it is working but I have two small issues. First off, you gave us faulty information. You told us that nothing was plugged into the wall. Then when you get the right information (please take the time to read my post again) you say you got the answer from the ooma FAQ and thanks for the attempts to help you.

I'm glad that most new users give us the appropriate and accurate information when asked and then at least try what we suggest. It makes it much more satisfying.
#72044 by stevei
Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 pm
Lighten up.

I didn't give you faulty information. The information I gave you was accurate at the time - I changed the way the unit was connected after reading the Ooma online documentation.

That takes nothing away from your attempts at helping.
You're trying to provide answers remotely without viewing the installation, and I'm sure all of us appreciate the effort.