Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#68888 by rmfort
Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:32 am
I have an idea for a NEW OOMA product ... a TV over Internet converter box ... just like your phone over IP box connects directly to the Internet provider coax cable, why not design a converter box that connects to the Internet the same way and provides the user with his choice of standard local broadcast TV and Cable TV channels.

My cable provider does this now charges $60/mo to $150/mo and I do not get to choose the channels they provide ... I envision a new OOMA box that lets me pick and choose the TV channels I want, and then the box outputs those selections to an output coax jack that then connects directly to my TV or multiple TVs with a splitter.

This type of converter is LONG overdue and seems a perfect fit for OOMA ... you make the box and sell it outright like your OOMA HUB or OOMA TELO ... and all the customer supplies is the Internet service connection ... GET TO IT !!!!!

RM Fortunato
Belchertown, MA
#68899 by southsound
Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:17 am
I'd like free TV too - but who is going to pay the companies that provide the video feed? Even our local channels require a fee from the cable or satellite providers and unlike telephone termination fees (yes, ooma pays fees to other telco entities to complete our calls), these fees are substantial. But like I said, I like free if you can propose a business model that would make it possible!
#69135 by in2dadark
Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 am
southsound wrote:I'd like free TV too - but who is going to pay the companies that provide the video feed? Even our local channels require a fee from the cable or satellite providers and unlike telephone termination fees (yes, ooma pays fees to other telco entities to complete our calls), these fees are substantial. But like I said, I like free if you can propose a business model that would make it possible!

I don't see where he said FREE. I think it was more about CHOICE. I thought it was a great idea.
#69144 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 pm
in2dadark wrote:I don't see where he said FREE. I think it was more about CHOICE. I thought it was a great idea.

Although not explicitly stated, since rmfort mentioned "sell it outright like your OOMA HUB or OOMA TELO" I think rmfort wanted free service after buying this box.

rmfort wrote:... you make the box and sell it outright like your OOMA HUB or OOMA TELO ... and all the customer supplies is the Internet service connection ... GET TO IT !!!!!
#69321 by tajson
Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 pm
wristwatch wrote:Until then... you may be interested in the roku hd dvp ($59.95) and netflix streaming ($8.99/mo).

Hulu+ is available for $7.99/mo as well on Roku with more recent tv shows than Netflix but Netflix is pretty good with the movie streaming selection and older tv shows. You will probably see Netflix release a $7.99/mo-stream only option in the very near future. The Chaneru channel on Roku (a one-time fee of $10.61) allows you to show content(Movies/Music/Pictures) from your computer to the TV along with reading and playing the itunes content from your computer.

Between the Over-The-Air Digital TV and Roku with Netflix/Chaneru, our monthly cost for this package is $8.99 (Netflix) and this includes 3-5 NFL games on Sundays/2-3 College Games on Saturdays in digital quality in a rural area. We do not use Hulu+ since we have ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/PBS on the DTV for free (and the Federal Government paid me $40 of $59.99 for the DTV box available earlier before the closing of analog TV).

Yeah, there is some upfront costs but it beats the $29.99+ monthly basic cable cost. But this is a pretty tough market to enter for ooma.

Edit: Upfront costs equals Roku HD $59.99 and DTV box $59.99 plus antenna/cabling if you do not have them. Just realized the Roku and DTV is same price. (Just to clarify the upfront costs)
#69477 by wristwatch
Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:40 am
Thanks for the details. I see Hulu+ finally went live. I was starting to think they would never come to Roku. Still, I can't see paying them $7.99/mo when I can just record the episodes on my lifetime Tivo subscription. I never heard of the ChannelRu. I just recently purchase Roksbox for $15 lifetime subscription and it allows me to stream video, photos, and music from my PC to my Roku.
#69555 by tajson
Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:34 pm
Update: So netflix released their new pricing tiers today Monday (http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/new-pla ... -plus.html) where you have the stream option for $7.99/mo and increases on other plans to begin in January.

I agree on Hulu+ where $7.99 is a lot for new releases when Netflix has "older" shows (and movies) for the same price and you/I have other methods to record the couple of tv shows we are watching a month. Besides Hulu+ does have limited content due to licensing.

Actually, I have purchased both Roksbox and Chaneru (www.chaneru.com) where I like the flexibility of Roksbox but I love the ease of the Chaneru installation and the ability to read the itunes xml file/using the content. Chaneru was in the Roku developer contest this summer too and I like his forward thinking of the ability with tranconding within the application (future features).

Anyway to keep this thread on track, I doubt that ooma will commit any resources to enter a market where Roku has been for years and with new products from Google, "resuscitated" Apple, and Boxee already this year. (Wii and Xbox do also have streaming abilities from i.e. netflix while Microsoft has an exclusive deal to stream Espn3 on Xbox to a TV)
#69557 by southsound
Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:59 pm
Just having a moment of thinking about the big picture... Would anybody really want a movie / TV service that dropped the picture after about 20 minutes of play or garbled the sound so that Gregory Peck or James Earl Jones sounded like Daffy Duck or Elmer Fud? Where we only heard 80% of the words being spoken and the rest was dead air? Maybe where we saw a persons lips move and a couple of seconds later we hear the dialog?

Maybe we are better off looking at traditional (Netflix, Hulu, pirated content, etc.) sources for our video enjoyment. I'd just like ooma to work for reliable, high quality telephone service like it did 6 months ago. :shock: