Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#68548 by joeduck
Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:18 pm
I'm trying to get OUTGOING FAX to work (I am not interested in INCOMING FAX). I use a HP J4580 ALL-IN-ONE machine. I have OOMA HUB. Using splitter. I prefix the phone number with "*99", it dials correctly, but stops sending FAX on page 10 or 11. I've tried various FAXE SPEED settings on my HP J4580, but still no sucess. Can you help? Thanks in advance.
#68799 by in2dadark
Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:47 pm
Ooma used to fax fine. I may have had to try 5 times to do 4 faxes (multiple pages). But it worked good enough. They've done something different to the system and tell me they're working on it. In the mean time I have to use snail mail. This bites. I hate the post office.

I get the impression they've abandoned faxes for more subscribers $$$$. I might ditch ooma because of this.
#68843 by Jerry_NA
Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm
On the Ooma fax troubleshooting instruction page

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... /related/1

Ooma says that (a) they are working on improving fax capability;
(b) you need to enable fax mode;
and
(c) you may need to reduce the number of pages that you send at one time.

Residential users who do a lot of faxing are in the minority of the home telephone market. In my humble opinion, I don't know anyone who needs to fax repeatedly more than 10-11 pages at a time, so I'm guessing this may not be a very high priority for Ooma. (I'm not saying this is unjustified in any way, just not so common.) Given that we are not paying per call or per length of call, the only thing faxing in 10 page blocks costs is a little extra time. I'm pretty sure that this is not what you wanted to hear, but I do hope it helps. regards,
Jerry
#68954 by gary754
Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 am
I activated my Ooma Telo on 10/19/10. I have never been able to send a fax with my ooma telo. I have the telo wired before my router (Cable Modem > Telo > Router) The fax machine is a Brother MFC-5460 and is attached to the telo with a splitter to the phone port per internet instuctions. I have tried every possible combination of transmit settings on the fax, along with *99 and "enable fax mode" on the telo. I have even disabled the QoS on the ooma Telo per support instructions to no avail.

While researching this problem I discovered that other Ooma users lost their ability to fax early in October.

Ooma released an automatic firmware update on Oct. 6th for the Telo ( update 41189) which coincides with all the reports of faxing outages. Here is the thread on the Ooma support forum that describes the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9538
#69099 by heart
Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:20 pm
Inserted a Gigaware DSL filter (purchased at Radioshack for $15.99) into the Ooma phone out jack and then the fax line into the DSL filter.
Everything is working fine now, hope it will last.

I did not have to change speed, error correction, etc.
I did not have to add *99

Have a HP m2727 all in one fax/scanner/printer
The problem occurs with other Voip devices, not just the Ooma.
This is less of a problem with MagicJack
#69133 by in2dadark
Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:25 am
Looks like they fixed it. My fax is working better than it was last year. Please don't mess with it anymore..?