Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#68413 by kieranmullen
Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:41 pm
Allow for more free calls via these methods which once implemented do not require more resources bandwidth etc and will not incur more costs from termination charges.

If one does not know what these are please google. Thanks
#68433 by kieranmullen
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 am
Basically with VOIP you can call direct to other servers and users if you have an address. My other voip devices aer accessible via #@ip However ooma device to mothership is VPN so that would not work, but they could provide server IP's which would be terminated that way.

Those other 2 services are directory lookup services that those using open voip systems can program into their various deivces quipment, pdxes etc to lookup a phone number in the directory before defaulting to whatever trunk there is (another voip trunk, pots, t1 etc) IOW It users using these other systems try to make free calls before making paid calls.

This would reduce the load/cost on telecom the. It would still have some load on the Internet connections.

Also if this was an option to select in the user control panel area to try INUM and e164 lookups before dialing that would be good too.

roadshow wrote:huh???
#68480 by DTMF
Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:46 pm
What you're asking for here is not just a feature request, it's a paradigm shift. :cool:
#68492 by kieranmullen
Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:52 pm
The VPF is already being used by major carriers. It is peering using a private network over dedicated bandwidth.. Companies using it are saving termination costs while pocking the difference or offering lower rates.

Ooma needs ways not only to make (or save since they are burning through VC cash) more money by offering new features, but also offering new features to save money as well.

DTMF wrote:What you're asking for here is not just a feature request, it's a paradigm shift. :cool:
#68495 by southsound
Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 pm
DTMF wrote:What you're asking for here is not just a feature request, it's a paradigm shift. :cool:

When you consider that this may well be the Kieran Mullen of UO fame, we should probably all listen and question not.
Kieran Mullen wrote:I am a condensed matter theorist at the University of Oklahoma. I work on a wide range of problems, all of which involve the dynamics of electrons in a regime between classical and quantum mechanics. I enjoy trying to apply old ideas in new ways (such as "electron refrigerators" or finding unexpected phenomena in novel systems (such as quantum rings).

Professor Mullen is noted for his ability to bring a lecture class back to focus by shattering a laptop with liquid nitrogen. Although the laptop was a non-functional prop, he states that the demonstration did have the desired effect. I should caution that this technique may void the warranty on your ooma device.

Actually, sending some of these thoughts (not about the laptop) to Toby Farrand and Dennis Peng might yield some great innovation that could be used for future products and features.
#68542 by DTMF
Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:27 pm
The larger point to my comment about this request being a paradigm shift is that Ooma doesn't seem to want to play in the SIP space. BYO hardware would be the first step in that direction and there's been no indication in over a year from anyone at the company that this is even on the roadmap anymore.

Joe and Mary Consumer aren't interested in the SIP space. They're here because they're getting phone service that's a lot cheaper than it was at the provider they left behind and because they heard Ooma was simple to set up. They don't know anyone that they want to call on SIP and because of that, they don't care to learn about it. They seem to be Ooma's target market, so if they're not interested, I doubt that Ooma will be either.
#68545 by kieranmullen
Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:00 pm
Wrong. They don't need to know how it works. They don't need to BYOD. They just have an option to "try Direct Internet Connection" first. VSP's (and companies, individuals) can register their blocks of DID's with alternative ENUM organizations. inum, e164.org etc.

Again the reasons & benefits have been posted earlier.

DTMF wrote:The larger point to my comment about this request being a paradigm shift is that Ooma doesn't seem to want to play in the SIP space. BYO hardware would be the first step in that direction and there's been no indication in over a year from anyone at the company that this is even on the roadmap anymore.

Joe and Mary Consumer aren't interested in the SIP space. They're here because they're getting phone service that's a lot cheaper than it was at the provider they left behind and because they heard Ooma was simple to set up. They don't know anyone that they want to call on SIP and because of that, they don't care to learn about it. They seem to be Ooma's target market, so if they're not interested, I doubt that Ooma will be either.