Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#67406 by Greenraider
Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:14 am
For people who have two houses, Ooma could be great. Say I have a house in Dallas and La Jolla. I am from Dallas, and I want my Dallas friends to still be able to call the Dallas number when I am in La Jolla. I want to port my Dallas phone number to Ooma. Simple enough. I do not want to unplug the Ooma in Dallas and take it with me to La Jolla. It would be much easier to just buy a second Ooma, and put it in La Jolla. When I am in Dallas, I do not want the Ooma to ring in La Jolla. ( I know about google voice, but they do not have porting yet). When I go to La Jolla, I want to go online to My Ooma, and turn on the Dallas number to ring my La Jolla Ooma, which will turn off the Ooma in Dallas, and vice versa.

It seems like this is a simple software solution to allow to Ooma's to share the same number. What do you think?
#67430 by ajw522
Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:37 pm
Set up the two Oomas. Your Dallas Ooma will get the ported number, and give your La Jolla Ooma a new Ooma Telephone Number. Then, whenever you are in La Jolla, go into My Ooma and forward all calls from your Dallas Ooma to your La Jolla Ooma.
#69136 by in2dadark
Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am
I'm a snowbird. Ooma is just fine the way it is as far as phone numbers go. I could get one with a northern area code. I prefer to have both of mine in Florida and still carry it up there and save a ton of money. It was such a pleasure to get rid of 2 phone companies.
#69799 by EricJRW
Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 pm
So if I carry my ooma somewhere else, and plug it into an Internet connection, it will still ring a phone when someone calls?

I guess I'm still thinking too much of the way my telephone used to work... That's cool.

It seems one would have to be careful if 911 was ever dialed as it would use your provided address, which might not be where your ooma, and you, are at.

After thinking about this, the two oomas with forwarding does seem to make the most sense.
#69808 by southsound
Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 am
EricJRW wrote:So if I carry my ooma somewhere else, and plug it into an Internet connection, it will still ring a phone when someone calls?

I guess I'm still thinking too much of the way my telephone used to work... That's cool.

It seems one would have to be careful if 911 was ever dialed as it would use your provided address, which might not be where your ooma, and you, are at.

After thinking about this, the two oomas with forwarding does seem to make the most sense.

Whenever you move your ooma to a new location, be it in a neighboring town or in another state, you need to go to my.ooma.com, click on account and then service address to change it to your current location. Then when you call 911 they know where to respond.
#70892 by roonie76
Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 pm
This is directly from customer support today via chat:

Guest: I'm wondering if I purchase a second Telo, can I set it up to receive calls on the same number as my current Telo
Sabrina: No, you would have different number on each device
Guest: so I would have to forward the calls in order for that to work
?
Sabrina: you can not forward calls ooma device to ooma device

Has anyone tried to forward from one Ooma device to another?
#70894 by EricJRW
Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:34 pm
I notice that some people have a hub and telo in their sig... Maybe they can try it out, though I don't see why support would say you can't forward from one ooma telephone number to another.
#70895 by murphy
Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 pm
Forwarding from a hub to a Telo works just fine.
Forwarding from a Telo to a hub works just fine.