Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#89593 by joe123
Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:25 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello John,

You can only block absolute numbers. We do not support wildcards.
I believe blacklist by name is already in the feature request queue.

Mr. Ooma Moderator.

Why is this so hard to implement this for Ooma? Wildcard Blacklist? Like blocking all 800-xxx-xxxx numbers?

It seams to me that this is more of a legal issue than a technical issue, no?

Is it really that hard?
#91148 by cunnagin
Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:41 pm
I've been getting calls from a Jamaican scammer for almost 1 year now - at my Ooma number; I NEED to block all of the Jaimaican originating numbers (876) area code as they contniue to change cell phones, etc... so the number keeps changing except for the (876). I don't expect any real, urgent or important calls from Jamiaca...
#91782 by jacque
Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09 pm
Add me to this request. I need to block all 8xx numbers. Blocking by name would be almost as good, if that's easier I'd settle for it, but blocking by area code would be best.
#97374 by kukabuka
Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:56 pm
This is becoming a deal breaker. The convenience of having a home line is being outweighed by the inconvenience of all the toll free calls I am getting. Almost half of my incoming log is calls I could easily block if I could just enter an area code to block. For example, I have never received a call from 8xx or 253 that I wanted. What is the point of a blacklist at all if I can't block this stuff?
#97379 by joe123
Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:13 pm
kukabuka wrote:This is becoming a deal breaker. The convenience of having a home line is being outweighed by the inconvenience of all the toll free calls I am getting. Almost half of my incoming log is calls I could easily block if I could just enter an area code to block. For example, I have never received a call from 8xx or 253 that I wanted. What is the point of a blacklist at all if I can't block this stuff?

Same here. Before I ported my 30 year old number to Ooma, I was getting telemarketers calling. After porting to Ooma, I am getting *MORE* Telemarketers calling my Ooma phone line, each time from a different line but the same people.

My Ooma line has gotten so bad with Telemarketers that I had to set my Ooma "Do Not Disturb" ON ALL THE TIME.

This should be a RED flag for anyone thinking of buying an Ooma system - YOU WILL GET HIT WITH A LOT OF TELEMARKETERS.
#97402 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:05 pm
joe123 wrote:
kukabuka wrote:This is becoming a deal breaker. The convenience of having a home line is being outweighed by the inconvenience of all the toll free calls I am getting. Almost half of my incoming log is calls I could easily block if I could just enter an area code to block. For example, I have never received a call from 8xx or 253 that I wanted. What is the point of a blacklist at all if I can't block this stuff?

Same here. Before I ported my 30 year old number to Ooma, I was getting telemarketers calling. After porting to Ooma, I am getting *MORE* Telemarketers calling my Ooma phone line, each time from a different line but the same people.

My Ooma line has gotten so bad with Telemarketers that I had to set my Ooma "Do Not Disturb" ON ALL THE TIME.

This should be a RED flag for anyone thinking of buying an Ooma system - YOU WILL GET HIT WITH A LOT OF TELEMARKETERS.

Like I said in another post, don't think bump-up in spam call is due to Ooma but rather porting your landline number. Crooks somehow have access to this info from the industry porting database is what I am guessing.

Do you actually know of any VoIP providers that are providing the services you want here? Doing wildcard blacklisting, whitelisting etc that actually works and is practical?

Ooma doesn't provide wildcard blacklisting currently but allows 256 specific numbers which is excellent I think. NetTalk blacklist allows measly 10 numbers and Phone Power allows 50 for example. No wildcard blacklisting from any VoIP providers that I know of so asking if you know any.
#98022 by bruceb
Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm
The only reason I can think of, that you can't add the wildcard feature, is that you must be using vendor, as opposed to in-house software. Is this the case? Is the vendor responsive to enhancement requests? If not, are you looking at other vendors or developing your own in house software?

I'm certain you have a lot of very intelligent and skilled customers. Have you considered going open source?