Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#66817 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:40 pm
noltian wrote:I don't think you understand correctly or you don't make international call alot.

I beg to differ. I clearly understand and correctly, I might add. I don't make international calls a lot but my friends do. They were either with iTalkBB or Vonage World. They've now signed up with Ooma on Basic 1000 min international plans. They are all happy campers now. 1000 min of international calling per month is plenty for most people in a residential setting (which Ooma is for in the first place). 1000 min is about 33 minutes every day; if one was to miss a day, they'd have more than an hour the next day. That's a lot of minutes...for most folks, the Ooma Basic 1000 min international plan is perfect.

noltian wrote:Otherwise, you'd know OOMA is not well designged for international callers. As I mentioned, new plan probably help some, but not for everyone.

Again, for most folks, the Ooma Basic 1000 min international plan is perfect.

noltian wrote:Everyone has different life style. If OOMA works for you well, it's good. The original post came from someone probably make more international calls. Do I understand?..I used to make 3k-6k minutes of internation calls with vonage. I stil charge alot with prepaid account.

6000 min a month? I can't imagine being on the phone for 3.3 hours day in, day out, every day without fail just on international calls unless in a business setting.

The bottom line is that the Ooma Basic 1000 international plan is perfect (you might have seen me mention this point) for overwhelming majority of frequent international callers. With FUSF, it works out to $11.79 a month which translates to 1.18 cents per minute to 70 countries. That's a great deal!

BTW, for those that are wondering, Vonage World unlimited isn't really unlimited. It ain't 5,000 either; it won't be long before they terminate your service if you go over 3,000 minutes in international calling.
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic25780.html

I bring up what I said before:
lbmofo wrote:If you don't call internationally, why would you want to subsidize other people's international calling and Vonage's exorbitant advertising expenditure by paying $33+ a month when you can get free home phone service from Ooma? Even if you need heavy international usage, why would you pay $33+ a month (or $28 with iTalkBB) when you can just spend $11.79 a month with Ooma?
#66933 by cmeisel
Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:54 am
I am making a lot of international calls and I have complained many times about telling me before every call how many minutes I have left being VERY annoying and also recent issues with call quality (at least on calls to Brazil.
Having said this, I am also using google voice and they have similar quality problems at times.
I feel the Ooma rates are very commutative with other phone service providers (ATT, vonage, etc). it gets cheaper if you had your Ooma box longer since you have long made back your initial investment to purchase the Ooma equipment.
They have to make money and everybody is getting a little too used to everything being free.
Nothing is free, ever. You pay in other ways (data being sold by google, too many ads, etc)

But to say Ooma's rates are ridiculously hight is... ridiculous.
If the original poster is so unhappy than sell your Ooma decide and move on to a service that will make you happy.
#66954 by noltian
Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 pm
lbmofo wrote:
noltian wrote:I don't think you understand correctly or you don't make international call alot.

I beg to differ. I clearly understand and correctly, I might add. I don't make international calls a lot but my friends do. They were either with iTalkBB or Vonage World. They've now signed up with Ooma on Basic 1000 min international plans. They are all happy campers now. 1000 min of international calling per month is plenty for most people in a residential setting (which Ooma is for in the first place). 1000 min is about 33 minutes every day; if one was to miss a day, they'd have more than an hour the next day. That's a lot of minutes...for most folks, the Ooma Basic 1000 min international plan is perfect.

Hmm,,I have to assume you live by yourself or you have no friends to call Unless you do, you might not understand. Having relative and friends means a lot of calls especialy with a family of my size, 6. I admit my family make a lot of calls. Women are talkers.

Also you make me wonder what kind of business makes that many calls. There are not many business models that require many call minutes. You are talking about the business of good size and those businesses model don't use OOMA. It appears you assume a lot of things that you don't know.

noltian wrote:Otherwise, you'd know OOMA is not well designged for international callers. As I mentioned, new plan probably help some, but not for everyone.

Again, for most folks, the Ooma Basic 1000 min international plan is perfect.

noltian wrote:Everyone has different life style. If OOMA works for you well, it's good. The original post came from someone probably make more international calls. Do I understand?..I used to make 3k-6k minutes of internation calls with vonage. I stil charge alot with prepaid account.

6000 min a month? I can't imagine being on the phone for 3.3 hours day in, day out, every day without fail just on international calls unless in a business setting.

It's quite easy to make that much minutes. Have you seen wireless provider offers unlimited calling and texting?..You might want to dobut why they do. When I dated two girls at the same time, I exceeded my max 5k cell phone too easy. With a famil calling, it's not that hard. Of cousee, this is not a story of all family.

The bottom line is that the Ooma Basic 1000 international plan is perfect (you might have seen me mention this point) for overwhelming majority of frequent international callers. With FUSF, it works out to $11.79 a month which translates to 1.18 cents per minute to 70 countries. That's a great deal!

BTW, for those that are wondering, Vonage World unlimited isn't really unlimited. It ain't 5,000 either; it won't be long before they terminate your service if you go over 3,000 minutes in international calling.
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic25780.html

For your information, vonage world unlimited has been around quite some time and what you said is close to a rumor you want to start. I don't see any base. Also no provider ever offers true unlimited. From 3k minutes, they start investing what's going on. However, if you are clean calling friends and relatives, you have nothing to worry about.

I bring up what I said before:
lbmofo wrote:If you don't call internationally, why would you want to subsidize other people's international calling and Vonage's exorbitant advertising expenditure by paying $33+ a month when you can get free home phone service from Ooma? Even if you need heavy international usage, why would you pay $33+ a month (or $28 with iTalkBB) when you can just spend $11.79 a month with Ooma?


I felt like I had to correct you.
Good day.
#66968 by lbmofo
Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 pm
noltian wrote:Hmm,,I have to assume you live by yourself or you have no friends to call Unless you do, you might not understand. Having relative and friends means a lot of calls especialy with a family of my size, 6. I admit my family make a lot of calls. Women are talkers.

Wrong. We have a lot of family & friends but too busy to be on the phone for hours at a time. I have a beautiful wife & daughter who like to talk on the phone but, even combined, nothing remotely close to 3 hours per day, 7 days a week. Son & daughter do thousands of texts per month though.

noltian wrote:Also you make me wonder what kind of business makes that many calls. There are not many business models that require many call minutes. You are talking about the business of good size and those businesses model don't use OOMA. It appears you assume a lot of things that you don't know.

Businesses needing constant contact with overseas partners & associates is one example; company doesn't have to be large; it could even be a 1 man outfit. I didn't say you were a business; don't need to be that sensitive about it. I just had a hard time imagining a residential line racking up 6000 min of international calling per month.

noltian wrote:It's quite easy to make that much minutes. Have you seen wireless provider offers unlimited calling and texting?..You might want to dobut why they do. When I dated two girls at the same time, I exceeded my max 5k cell phone too easy. With a famil calling, it's not that hard. Of cousee, this is not a story of all family.

I often go over 5000 min on my cell but that's because I am on work conf bridge for hours. For personal talking, I like to do that in person. I can tell you this...out of all the friends that had Vonage World & iTalkBB, the one who was really proud of calling overseas a lot had a peak usage of 800+ min/month. Hence, the 1000 min Ooma plan works for all my friends.

noltian wrote:For your information, vonage world unlimited has been around quite some time and what you said is close to a rumor you want to start. I don't see any base. Also no provider ever offers true unlimited. From 3k minutes, they start investing what's going on. However, if you are clean calling friends and relatives, you have nothing to worry about.

That post in the link doesn't look like a rumor to me. It looks like the poster really got a letter from Vonage to curb international calling to 3000 min. The mod even wrote "They started a calling center in a laundry mat, got busted..."
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic25780.html
#67760 by joedaddy
Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:36 pm
lbmofo wrote:
joedaddy wrote:But the international rates are now even with ATT.

I'd like to see that one. Where can I look up this "even" international rates?


https://www.shop.att.com/internationalp ... arison.jsp

there you go.. 10 cents a minute for me.. same as ooma.. :D only $5.99/month extra... no need for premier..

i still like ooma.. but i am saying.. if you are a heavy international user.. the savings is that THAT much greater...

once my premier runs out.. I plan to just program my phone to use www.onesuite.com 2 or 5 cents for me.. ;)
#67764 by lbmofo
Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:06 pm
joedaddy wrote:https://www.shop.att.com/internationalplancomparison.jsp

there you go.. 10 cents a minute for me.. same as ooma.. :D

You would pay $5.99 a month extra on top of $20 to $30 with landline just for the privilege of paying the "same" 10 cents a minute? To what country?
#67800 by scottlindner
Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:11 am
lbmofo wrote:
joedaddy wrote:https://www.shop.att.com/internationalplancomparison.jsp

there you go.. 10 cents a minute for me.. same as ooma.. :D

You would pay $5.99 a month extra on top of $20 to $30 with landline just for the privilege of paying the "same" 10 cents a minute? To what country?


huh. I didn't even see it that way. I couldn't imagine walking away from blacklisting for the $4/mo on top of that. It's WAY too useful. Especially this time of year (elections).
#68051 by kieranmullen
Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:59 pm
Soooooooo What you are saying is that you would like to pay more for the Omma service?

joedaddy wrote:i don't think you are getting the point. OOMA is trying to subsidize its low cost business model by nickel and diming its customers. .
#68052 by kieranmullen
Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:02 pm
If you want the cheapest phone calls through a long distance access number AND horrible customer service try http://voipbuster.com !

P.S. It is "a lot" not "alot."

noltian wrote:I don't think you understand correctly or you don't make international call alot.

Otherwise, you'd know OOMA is not well designged for international callers. As I mentioned, new plan probably help some, but not for everyone. Everyone has different life style. If OOMA works for you well, it's good. The original post came from someone probably make more international calls. Do I understand?..I used to make 3k-6k minutes of internation calls with vonage. I stil charge alot with prepaid account.

OOMA has been targetting domestic callers that you should know with that many posting in this forum.
#97422 by elly
Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 am
Ooma's international rates are ridiculously high. I just compare them with Skype and Google voice. The last one is the cheapest. It makes quite a difference. F.e. calls with ooma to Netherlands mobile cost almost twice the rate of google.The only advantage you have with ooma is you can make your calls with a landline, with the other 2 you have to use your pc instead of landline phone. I happily use my pc if is costs me almost 15 c per minute less.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests