Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#66653 by joedaddy
Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 pm
How come the international rates are so high?

To get the regular and comparable price as other competitors. It's about $21 a month for service.
Instead of lowering the price for the $5/month international plan. OOMA added $10/month plan.
on top of that. $10/month premier plan is required. If all these 3 conditions are not met, international callers
are met with super high rates and ridiculous tax/fees...

I will probably go with a calling card from www.onesuite.com when my premier membership expires...
they don't charge for service/connection and their rates are cheaper than OOMA's $10/month plan.. ridiculous..

I feel like OOMA will lose more international customers this way...
#66663 by lbmofo
Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:35 pm
Ever since you joined, you complained about ooma's international rates.....

Today's post, you talk about ooma's "ridiculous" rates and then pop in a link to onesuite once again.

You have to keep in mind, Ooma is not competing with calling card companies on international rates.

To put things in context and give you a heavy dose of reality check, what were the direct dial rates when you were with AT&T?

Let's not talk POTS....did you check Comcast, Time Warner, Uverse, and Vonage rates? And they charge arm & leg for their regular service.

Ooma's rates "ridiculous?" Are you kidding me?

If your calling habits fit calling card plans, by all means, please go for it. Just need to make sure your hard earned $ don't expire after you give it to them but if you can handle that without problems, more power to you.
#66681 by joedaddy
Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 pm
i don't think you are getting the point. OOMA is trying to subsidize its low cost business model by nickel and diming its customers. While other companies are lowering their rates, ooma is raising them...

Yes, OOMA is still cheaper for local/long distance service. But the international rates are now even with ATT.

I don't think you get the idea.. i guess the international callers are the ones getting the short end...

and thanks for keeping track of all my posts.. i am glad that someone out there cares...
#66685 by scottlindner
Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 am
joedaddy wrote:i don't think you are getting the point. OOMA is trying to subsidize its low cost business model by nickel and diming its customers. While other companies are lowering their rates, ooma is raising them...


and all this time I thought I was saving $46/mo by switching to Ooma. I'm so going to fire my accountant after reading this thread. Right.. I am my own accountant, as you should be for you. If you are smart enough to do the math for your situation, don't you think others are also smart enough to do the math for themselves or do you really feel that we aren't smart enough to compare two bills and figure out what's best for us? If someone is being nickle and dimed as you say, they either don't care in which case it isn't your business, or they are too stupid to figure it out. So.. since we either don't care, or are too stupid, shouldn't you be focusing on what you can change rather than what you cannot? If you're concerned about our education, shouldn't you be pointing us to GED tests online?
#66719 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 am
joedaddy wrote:i don't think you are getting the point. OOMA is trying to subsidize its low cost business model by nickel and diming its customers. While other companies are lowering their rates, ooma is raising them...

Ooma is charging pennies per minute for international long distance; that's NOT called nickel & diming! That's called providing a great service at great rates. If you can find a home phone company with better direct-dial international rates than Ooma, let us know.

joedaddy wrote:But the international rates are now even with ATT.

I'd like to see that one. Where can I look up this "even" international rates?

joedaddy wrote:I don't think you get the idea.. i guess the international callers are the ones getting the short end...

I beg to differ. Quite the contrary to what you said. Ooma is now offering more options for people to save on International calls. The Basic 1000 minute plan is a great example.

joedaddy wrote:and thanks for keeping track of all my posts.. i am glad that someone out there cares...

You're welcome. It was quite a chore looking up all of 7 distinct posts :)
#66773 by noltian
Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm
try google voice. you don't need invite or anything any more.

their international rate is a lot cheaper and you don't need to suffer from calling card feature. You don't need PC either.

I do make a lot of international calls and i regret switching to OOMA because of that. I lose 2-10 bucks or save 2-10 bucks amonth after i restrain myself from making international calls. I miss unlimited calling.

yeah, OOMA's international rate is a lot more than others VOIP providers even though, OOMA would be cheaper for a lot of folks who just need domstic calls or occasional international callers. The new international calling plan would help some people but it did not help me. My parent calls Caanada alot and I make calls to Asia and my parents use up all minutes in the plan for calling Canada which is already cheap. The plan is not easy to maintain anyway ( no balance history, no call hisotry for the plan specfic...unable to track remaining minutes, unable to cancel online, no plan history, etc etc....i am sure it will be there someday..haha...it should've been there on day one). So I cancelled the internatonal plan and I don't recommend OOMA for heavy international callers(heavy means more than 800-1000 minutes. I always feel like OOMA has a full of college graduates working without experienced professional supervision because of their great fresh ideas and half baked products ( don't you feel like you are doing Beta testing sometimes?). However, I still like and use OOMA because I like the idea of free domestic calls.

Anyway, i found google voice very easy and call quality is excellent. In fact, the call quality for international is better than OOMA and cheaper. (call to Canada is FREE which can't be beaten and call to Asia is about a half price. Domestic calls are free to but you don't need with OOMA).

You have a choice.
#66777 by southsound
Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:18 pm
noltian wrote:try google voice. you don't need invite or anything any more.

I do make a lot of international calls and i regret switching to OOMA because of that. I lose 2-10 bucks or save 2-10 bucks amonth after i restrain myself from making international calls. I miss unlimited calling.
?? What, you had free unlimited calling or something??

Anyway, i found google voice very easy and call quality is excellent. In fact, the call quality for international is better than OOMA and cheaper. (call to Canada is FREE which can't be beaten and call to Asia is about a half price. Domestic calls are free to but you don't need with OOMA).

You have a choice.

Yes you do. You can choose to use ooma for all your domestic calling and GV when it is cheaper. I don't see why you have to have one or the other. I've been using both for over a year. I don't use GVE (Google Voice Extensions for Premier) as I don't find any advantage - but I use GV as my front end for my ooma and also for some calling. ooma is still a much better value than my old Qwest Choice Home package and allows me to have features (like a second line) that it didn't supply even though it was more expensive. I have several GV numbers I use (personal, non-profit, and one from Malibu CA just because I can). Since you need a phone anyways, ooma is a great service to use with GV.
#66785 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 pm
noltian wrote:I do make a lot of international calls and i regret switching to OOMA because of that. I lose 2-10 bucks or save 2-10 bucks amonth after i restrain myself from making international calls. I miss unlimited calling.

Lose $2 to $10 compared to what? Vonage World which would cost $33+ a month? Unless you call many many many minutes over 1000 min of international a month to the point where the overage (still at pennies a minute) + Basic 1000 plan cost puts you over $33 a month, you are still saving money with Ooma.

GV is an option as well but still involves dialing an extra number to call internationally which isn't for everyone.
#66790 by noltian
Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:23 am
I don't think you understand correctly or you don't make international call alot.

Otherwise, you'd know OOMA is not well designged for international callers. As I mentioned, new plan probably help some, but not for everyone. Everyone has different life style. If OOMA works for you well, it's good. The original post came from someone probably make more international calls. Do I understand?..I used to make 3k-6k minutes of internation calls with vonage. I stil charge alot with prepaid account.

OOMA has been targetting domestic callers that you should know with that many posting in this forum.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests