Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#4453 by Troy
Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 am
An auto warranty telemarketer called last night. On the phone's CallerID display the number only displayed 9 digits, with the first two being zero.

The phone number was something like: 00-245-xxxx

When I checked the Call Log in the Ooma Lounge the number appeared in the list as: 245xxxx

I clicked on the Blacklist hyperlink and tried to submit the form with the Save button. The webpage responded with a message in red: "Enter a valid 10 digit number". The Blacklist feature enforces a requirement of 10 digits for phone numbers.

This appears to be a weakness in the Blacklist that can be exploited.
#4511 by Troy
Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:48 pm
Re: Adding phone number: 00-245-xxxx to the Blacklist

I also tried in the Ooma Lounge to enter the number with 3 zeroes at the beginning (000-245-xxxx), in order to meet the 10-digit requirement imposed by the Ooma. I thought this might work if Ooma does a numeric comparison and the leading zeroes get dropped. But, no dice. The submit form enforces a valid phone number to be entered. It doesn't think a phone number starting with "000" is valid.

It would be helpful if the Ooma Blacklist software would allow numbers to be added that are less than 10 digits to deal with this situation.

Or alternatively, expand the criteria for the "Enable anonymous call block" feature in the Privacy Preferences section of the Ooma Lounge.
    1) Configure ooma to block callers that withhold their caller-ID information (current feature)
    2) Configure ooma to block callers with less than 10-digit caller-ID information (new feature)
#4516 by Mojo
Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:03 pm
You're right, we should allow non-10-digit phone numbers to be added. I'll see if we can get this added for the next development cycle (to be completed at the end of April).
#5545 by azism
Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:54 am
I agree Mojo, end of April would be great. Then I can block area code 062 (which again is not legit). I'm afraid to pick up those calls as it could be an offshore number and end up casting me a fortune.
#5572 by bw1
Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:58 pm
azism wrote:I agree Mojo, end of April would be great. Then I can block area code 062 (which again is not legit). I'm afraid to pick up those calls as it could be an offshore number and end up casting me a fortune.

How would it cost you a fortune? And if you don't answer it and it goes to voicemail, what's the difference?
#5573 by azism
Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:03 pm
If I answer it, who knows what's on the other end? With it saying area code 062, I'm going to err on the side of caution.
#6105 by brwilliams
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 am
Mojo,
Are you still on track for the end of April? All of a sudden we are receiving about 10 calls per day from a number that only shows three digits on the caller id. As you know, currently we do not have the ability to blacklist these numbers. Would it be possible for the "Community Blacklist" to automatically block all non-standard national and non-standard international formats since these scammers seem to be finding ways around caller id block?
#8725 by azism
Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:26 am
Yup, I guess I am still landline. It has been some time since I requested the porting of my number, so hopefull it will happen soon so I can drop my landline provider (and save the about $40/month).