Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#66253 by Storm Russell
Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 am
I recently recieved the Ooma Telo as a gift. I requested this after ready your panphlet. This stated no monthly fees, 11.75 yearly,First paid for and on your own after this. I was so excited due to living on fixed income. Then I was very disapointed to discover during activation, that it was not a yearly fee of 11.75. But a monthly fee of 3.47. 41.64 a year. I choose this over magic jack, a fee of 20.00 a year. I feel I have been miss imformed by your panphlet on your product. And concider this to be False Advertising. And I don't believe after ready your post on here,That I am the only one. I feel that I should recieve the 11.75 price a year. vs the 3.47. And that if you are not going to offer the 11.75 yearly fee. Please Imform the Stores carrying your product, to pull these panphlets. Because this indeed is False Advertising and Miss informing the consumers thinking of buying your product. I was thinking of referring some friends to this product, I have reconcidered now. And if I hadn't open mine and started activation. I would of returned mine. But if you can not reconcider the 11.75 vs. 3.47. I will not stick with Ooma. I will concider Magic Jack. More affordable for me.
#66351 by Jerry_NA
Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:10 pm
Hello,
I am another customer, not an Ooma employee, but I will try to help you. I have not seen an Ooma "pamphlet", so I do not know what one might say. (Where did you get one? Was it store advertising of some kind? Or do you mean the very short instruction guide in the box?)
From what I understand, the Ooma terms and conditions including taxes and fees are connected to the exact system that you bought. Not just the model, but the exact unit that is sold individually. The box will say on the outside in pretty big type that you have to pay monthly taxes and fees (most recent systems) OR $11.75 per year (older systems made in late 2009) OR (in the case of the original Ooma Core systems ONLY, not Telos) nothing at all. This is not "fine print" in a contract and you do not have to open or even unseal the box to find out.
In my case, I am saving so much money compared to my old landline that it is no contest. I looked up the current monthly taxes and fees, which come to about $3.50 per month, compared to over $30-$35 per month for my old home line. In comparison, the Ooma purchase price is paid off after ten months in the first year, and pays for itself in the first month of every year after that. (I assume that you are not on the Premier plan.)
I have read reviews for the MagicJack. Sound quality is reportedly so-so. You have to keep your computer running 24 hours a day. Not my choice. That said, if you are this unhappy with the taxes and fees, then you can always call the Ooma company for a return authorization and bring (or mail) the unit back to where you bought it. I would not, but this is your decision. Good luck.
Jerry
#66598 by Trinimd
Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:36 pm
Is there any place still selling the OOMA telo that only requires the 11 dollar a year?

What will the box say?

Thanks
#66958 by Zindar
Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm
Hmmm, I have the old ooma hub, so I pay totally zero, and have never paid a cent other than the equipment.

This came up in a conversation recently with my brother-in-law. Is it still possible for new customers, like he, who have never had an ooma to buy the old hub system and get away with the $0.00 / month plan like I have, or is that gone now, and I'm one of the lucky ones to be grandfathered in for life (as long as my equipment keeps working).

If it's the latter, I hope my equipment never breaks down, or that will be supremely annoying. I'd get pretty depressed if that spells the end of the era of $zero phone bills.
#66975 by Jerry_NA
Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:40 pm
Trinimd wrote:Is there any place still selling the OOMA telo that only requires the 11 dollar a year?
What will the box say?
Thanks

I do not know if you can still find these Telo systems. You will have to look at the individual boxes, because the terms and conditions are linked to the exact system (serial number? MAC address?). The annual $11.75 vs. monthly RRF fees are clearly shown on the outside of the box, but this detail is not advertised online. If you buy a used system at an auction, then you will likely have to pay a reactivation fee as well as risking a shorter system lifetime. (Not sure about warranty, either.) All I can say is good luck. Personally, I think that even with a monthly $3.50 fee, a new Telo is still a pretty good deal compared with my old landline rate of about $30-$35 per month.
#67499 by huynhl
Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:00 pm
For a while back, T-Mobile offers a plan that if you have a family plan with T-mobile, you pay for an addition home phone line for $5/month, they will send you an equipment to hook to internet line, and it works like ooma, the equipment for free, no rental fee, not require you turn on computer all the time, this is a good deal compare with ooma.
ooma plan you must buy ooma telo for $250 plus $3.47/month, T-mobile play pay $5/month using their equipment for free.
ooma cheats their customers, in compare tax and fee calculator, it asks you to enter a zip code, then it computes a monthly fee is $3.47/month regardless what zip code you try to enter, I tried invalid zip code like 11111, 99999, or 12345, it computes a same monthly fee $3.47. I am no longer an ooma fan.
#67502 by murphy
Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 am
12345 is a valid ZIP code for SCHENECTADY, NY.
T-Mobile's home phone service is no longer available to new customers.
Have you considered that maybe only a few zip codes have a different fee?
I'm sure that you didn't try all of the valid zip codes.
#67525 by ktwalrus
Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 am
Regarding MagicJack, you can't port your existing number to MagicJack and if you want to receive calls 24 hours a day, you need to keep your computer running the MagicJack program all day and night. Depending on your computer, the cost for electricity would be higher than the Federal Taxes Ooma charges each month.

Let's say your computer uses an average of 100W when turned on and running. That is 2.4KWHrs a day or about 25 cents per day in electricity. This would be around $90 a year.

I have no idea how much it costs to run the Telo modem 24 hours a day, but I bet it is significantly less than running your average desktop computer.

Does anyone know how much power a day the Telo modem uses? If not, I'll have to find my Kill-A-Watt meter and put it on for a day and find out.