Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#66312 by nn5i
Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I must add here that I've been with Ooma since Jan 2009 and I've never had any more junk mail; snail mail or email or phone calls since I've joined Ooma. I don't feel ooma sold anyones information. Something else is going on, but I can assure you it's not from Ooma.

Wayne

Nonsense. You cannot possibly know this, so how can you assure anyone of it?
#66313 by nn5i
Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 pm
lbmofo wrote:Ooma's policy explicitly states that they will not sell personal info. Pretty black & white.

As I read it, it doesn't state any such thing. But even if it did say it, in the face of the evidence elicited here (and the failure of Ooma's people to say anything at all, in a three-page thread), what assurance do you have that Ooma obeys its own policies? Many companies don't follow their own policies.

Policy is what a company says it will do. This is often unrelated to what it actually does, especially when the proceeds of a sale represent pure profit.
#66317 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm
How much do you think 100K to 200K names, numbers, addresses are worth? Ooma would be stupid to do it for some pocket change.
#66318 by gregg098
Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:05 pm
Any smart company would take a little time to gather thoughts and address the situation properly and professionally. Its rare that an issue/accusation like this will be addressed quickly as no companies like to have their employees jump the gun and say the wrong thing. Anything said can and will be used in various technology blogs so they have to be careful.

</devil's advocate>
#66326 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:07 pm
nn5i wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I must add here that I've been with Ooma since Jan 2009 and I've never had any more junk mail; snail mail or email or phone calls since I've joined Ooma. I don't feel ooma sold anyones information. Something else is going on, but I can assure you it's not from Ooma.

Wayne

Nonsense. You cannot possibly know this, so how can you assure anyone of it?

I can only add my personal experience to the subject. No, I can't assure it, maybe that was a strong word.
But I can strongly state, though my experience, that ooma has never done this with my information.

There's no nonsense about it.

Wayne
#66381 by huggybear
Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 am
Wow, jmac!
I feel your frustration, but I have had Ooma since April and have not had any calls except the political ones who are allowed to call. (Don't want those either) As a matter of fact, we didn't even think ahead about the phonebook and didn't realize that we would no longer be listed in it. We don't care to be unlisted but it turns out we are. Sorry you're having such a negative experience.
#66387 by Bobby B
Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:45 am
We do not sell or share our customers' information to 3rd party marketers.

Here's what is shared:
- Your name, telephone number and address is securely transmitted to the E911 service provider.
- Your name and telephone is provisioned in the CNAM database.

The only way I can think of why you're getting spam mail and calls in your dog's name is if someone looked up your name from the CNAM database.

I'm guessing this spammer prowled some semi-public databases to gather these bits of information. I remember when I put my house for sale, I started getting flooded with real estate flyers and moving van offers in my mail (addressed to me).

They found my name by associating the MLS listing with the home address and then got my name by plugging the address into either public county property tax records or the title report.

BTW, you should update your service address to your real name, otherwise the 911 operator will see your dog's name, instead of your name. You'll also want to make sure your phone number is on the no-call list.
#66406 by jmac
Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm
Hi Bobby- Thank you for your response, but I'm still having trouble with this... I'm not familiar with the CNAM database that you referenced; but based on my quick google check, it looks like it's the Voip Caller ID records. I only use my Ooma service to call my parents and they have confirmed that their Caller ID fluctuates between two different entries when I call:

1. My phone # + Out of the Area ("Out of the Area" did not start appearing until about ten days ago) OR
2. My phone # + The name of the adjacent city and state where the phone number originated/is registered... (not even my exact town name).

My name or my dog's name has never shown in their caller id screen; so I can only guess that my dog's name has not made it to that database...??

As far as the 911 database, I don't know who has access to that or how often it's hacked into...??

Lastly, real estate listings and tax records are very public. Once you list your home with an agent of by yourself (on some FSBO site), it seems like an open invitation for anything. Most registry of deed and tax assessment locations even offer free online searches, so the telemarketers, etc do not even have to leave their offices. The only way to remain anonymous is to set up a trust & a PO Box when you purchase something.. The Ooma information should not be freely accessible like the real estate info; and if Ooma has a policy of sharing this info, the customer should have a right to 'opt out'...
#66411 by dknyinva
Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 pm
had Ooma over a year and no one bothers me. Hate to sound harsh, but OP seems to be the only one complaining and falsely accused Ooma of doing something unethical.
#66429 by hpepper
Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 am
It has never happened to me either, as with many Ooma users. I guess the point is, ooma isn't going to make money selling one or two or a small handful of user's information, so obviously ooma isn't doing that.

The question remains... how was the information leaked or stolen. Is it possible for someone to get into the CNAM database? I assume quite a few have access to it.