Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#66228 by jmac
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 pm
Over the last two weeks, I've been bombarded with calls from telemarketers even though ONLY my three immediate family members know my Ooma phone number. And just today, I got three pieces of junk mail addressed to the last name on my Ooma account which is my dog's name (never used elsewhere, so I know for sure that the info was provided by Ooma). What is going here? Can someone from Ooma please explain how this happened??
#66230 by allo
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:20 pm
I doubt very much OOMA did what you claim it did.
The sleazy marketers have a way of dialing all kind of phone combination to include just about every number in use!
#66231 by jmac
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm
When the calls started, of course I suspected the robo-dialer machines. But, I am 100% sure now that it was Ooma who sold my information based on the junk mail I'm receiving at my home. It is addressed to my first initial and the last name on my account which is my DOG'S NAME. I have never used my dog's name for anything else, so that is how I'm 100% sure that it is a result of Ooma's information sale.

I just reviewed the Ooma privacy policy and it clearly states that they have every right to do this. There should be a way to opt out of this and I am shocked that they would stoop to these levels. I have recommended Ooma to everyone I know and have been extremely happy with the service. I feel totally sold out and my opinion has done a 180 now. My phone number is ruined and my home mailbox is now full of junk thanks to Ooma. Thank you.
#66232 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:33 pm
The email address that you used to register your ooma account, is it hotmail or some other free email service? You provided your first name and last name (dog name) to them right?
#66233 by jmac
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 pm
My email account is a Comcast account. Like I said previously, I've never used my dog's name for anything else... Now that you mention it, this Ooma sale of my private information might also explain the recent junk mail being sent to my Comcast account registered with Ooma..
#66236 by allo
Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 pm
lbmofo wrote:I mis-read. I thought you were getting junk mail in email account.

Where did you see that they have the right to sell your info?

https://www.ooma.com/legal/privacy-policy

Some of the Privacy Policy is somewhat troubling:

"Customer Specific Network Information

In the course of providing Services to you, Ooma will collect and maintain certain customer-specific network information. Customer Specific Network Information refers to the types of products and services you currently purchase, related usage, and billing information for those products and services. Your telephone number, name, and address are not Customer Specific Network Information. Likewise, customer usage and call patterns of multiple customers which is aggregated together in a summary form and other information which does not specifically identify any one individual is not considered Customer Specific Network Information. We value our relationships with our customers and are committed to respecting and protecting your Customer Specific Network Information. Accordingly, we will not sell, trade, or share your Customer Specific Network Information, including your calling records outside of Ooma or with anyone not authorized to offer our Products and/or Services, or to perform functions on our behalf except as authorized by you or required by law. Generally, we can use your Customer Specific Network Information to offer additional Services to you, and for billing and collections purposes. We can also disclose your Customer Specific Information for legal or regulatory reasons, including in response to subpoenas and court orders. We can also use Customer Specific Network Information to investigate fraud and to prevent violation of our End User Agreement and monitor potentially unlawful use of our network, Services, and abuse of other customers.

Since they don't consider the telephone number, name, and address as Customer Specific Network Information.,, then they can sell them from what I understand... which defeats the whole purpose of "number blocking" scheme!
If that is the case, I think those who do not want their name/number /address sold should may be look somewhere else for another service!
#66237 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:03 am
You are reading it wrong.

Telephone number, name, and address are not Customer Specific Network Information because those are Personal Information.

"we will not trade, sell, or disclose to any third party any form of Personal Information (as defined below) without your consent, and we will not disclose or make available any such Personal Information to any third parties seeking to market third party products without your consent."

"name, physical address, email address, telephone number, credit card information, and other Customer-supplied data (collectively referred to as "Personal Information")"

Nothing troubling to me.
#66243 by allo
Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:16 am
lbmofo wrote:You are reading it wrong.

Telephone number, name, and address are not Customer Specific Network Information because those are Personal Information.

"we will not trade, sell, or disclose to any third party any form of Personal Information (as defined below) without your consent, and we will not disclose or make available any such Personal Information to any third parties seeking to market third party products without your consent."

"name, physical address, email address, telephone number, credit card information, and other Customer-supplied data (collectively referred to as "Personal Information")"

Nothing troubling to me.

Sorry I did not see that... but in a way it contradicts each other!
I wish they get rid of all those ""legal geniuses" who cannot write something clearly for the majority oi us to understand... without having to hire another "genius" to explain it to us. Any good writer can do a better job !
The US Constitution is pretty clear... it has only 4,400 words and I don't think they had any use for "those legalese confusers!" to write it!
#66261 by jmac
Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:17 am
If you read the PRIVACY POLICY closely, you will see that they can sell your information....

Privacy Policy
Ooma Inc. ("Ooma") is committed to your privacy. We obey all laws and regulations in the United States applicable to our use and disclosure of your information. Except as set forth in this Privacy Policy ("Policy"), we will not trade, sell, or disclose to any third party any form of Personal Information (as defined below) without your consent, and we will not disclose or make available any such Personal Information to any third parties seeking to market third party products without your consent.

*** "Except as set forth in the Privacy Policy, we will not trade, sell, disclose...." So, they define below WHEN they will sell your information...

Collection of Information
Ooma shall collect information, including, but not limited to, name, physical address, email address, telephone number, credit card information, and other Customer-supplied data (collectively referred to as "Personal Information") from Customers

*** Personal info includes name, physical address, email address, telephone number

Use of Information
Ooma will use Personal Information (1) to market our Products and Services to Customers and to Visitors that Ooma believes have interest in them, (2) to provide Services and Products requested by Customers and Visitors and (3) to enable its vendors and contractors to provide and assist Ooma in the marketing and provision of such Product s and Services to Ooma Customers and Visitors.

*** Ooma will use Personal Information to (1) to market our Products and Services to Customers and to Visitors that Ooma believes have interest in them, (2) to provide Services and Products requested by Customers and Visitors and (3) to enable its vendors and contractors to provide and assist Ooma in the marketing and provision of such Product s and Services to Ooma Customers and Visitors.

Customer Specific Network Information
In the course of providing Services to you, Ooma will collect and maintain certain customer-specific network information. Customer Specific Network Information refers to the types of products and services you currently purchase, related usage, and billing information for those products and services. [u]Your telephone number, name, and address are not Customer Specific Network Information[/u]. Likewise, customer usage and call patterns of multiple customers which is aggregated together in a summary form and other information which does not specifically identify any one individual is not considered Customer Specific Network Information. We value our relationships with our customers and are committed to respecting and protecting your Customer Specific Network Information. Accordingly, we will not sell, trade, or share your Customer Specific Network Information, including your calling records outside of Ooma or with anyone not authorized to offer our Products and/or Services, or to perform functions on our behalf except as authorized by you or required by law...

*** Ooma will not sell Customer Specific information; but telephone number, name, address are not considered Customer Specific information...

Again, I know Ooma has sold my information and the Policy above clearly states that they can do so... I couldn't blame Ooma until I started receiving the mail to my home addressed to my dog. Prior to that, I just assumed that the telemarketers and spam artists had gotten my info in another way..

I had used my Dog's name as my last name in my profile to help maintain privacy. I wanted my Ooma number to be considered 'unlisted' and that's why I used his name. It is the only time I had used my Dog's name for anything, so I can guarantee you that my information was sold. (If not sold, then someone hacked into the Ooma servers or they simply handed my info over to the telemarketers out of kindness..)