Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#65818 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm
WayneDsr wrote:
When I called tech support they told me that "Ooma only supports landline and mobile phone" incoming calls. And that is a quote from tech support.

If that came from support then they got it wrong. It's totally untrue. I have relatives with both Comcast voip and Vonage and have no problems getting calls from them.

Wayne

Perhaps, Bobby needs to provide feedback to the support org. How can gross misinformation like this happen?
#65835 by ntoy
Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:29 am
Hello,

We apologize for the misinformation. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world.
We appreciate the feedback & continue to do our best to train & mentor our agents.
#65885 by DTMF
Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:48 pm
Since both Ooma devices are on the same LAN and assuming both are behind the same router, this sounds like something that might be fixable if you implement port-forwarding on your router, so that the traffic will be routed to the correct device.
#66205 by dterblanche
Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm
Well... I'm trying to keep my 800 number service that I have and have had for years. The one I posted about when I started this thread. When my service transfers a number to my ooma it goes directly to voice mail. Call Ooma tech support and that's when they told me they only support incoming landline and cell phones. So it's evidently only partly true because many of you receive calls from other voip systems.

So in desperation, I dug out my old MagicJack out of a box and hooked it to my laptop and sure enough my 800 service is able to reach the magicjack. So I'm partly thrilled about that. And another thought... my landline phone hasn't been disconnected yet ... so I'm wondering if that isn't part of the problem since I had my phone connected through the ooma scout through the wall jack that is still live with ATT.

So when ATT finally decides to getting around to shutting off the service I'll test it again. Thanks again for all the answers to my overly dramatic title to this post :)

On another side note... nothing to do with this service but just customer service in general. I chatted online with Dell sales support asking about the Windows 7 upgrade. And "Jennifer" at Dell almost had me spending over $300 for a complete windows ultimate 7 package when all I needed was a $180 upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate. But this was before she told me I could update vista ultimate to 7 home premium. Sigh.... Thank goodness for forums!!!

Thanks for reading my rantings!
#66211 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 pm
Are you forwarding your 800 number calls to the phone number assigned to the Scout?

Ooma number calling other numbers tied to the same main device doesn't work (goes to voicemail, sans the workaround talked about in another thread) but Ooma number calling other Ooma number works great as long as they are assigned to different devices. I tried this with 2 Hubs connected to the same router; they called each other fine.

Now, back to my question...is the envelope button lit on your Scout by any chance? Turn up the brightness control if you don't see the blue tab lit on the Scout :) That Do Not Disturb feature (envelope lit) would make calls go straight to Voicemail. Press and hold to turn the feature off.
#67377 by Sparkland
Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 pm
I also found out, that if I do not have "answer set" on my answering machine base station, that the calls will go straight to Ooma voice mail. One of those strange things about Ooma, but I still love it. The "envelope" button caused us some consternation the first time we set up the system.
#67421 by dkdj5
Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 pm
WayneDsr wrote:
When I called tech support they told me that "Ooma only supports landline and mobile phone" incoming calls. And that is a quote from tech support.

If that came from support then they got it wrong. It's totally untrue. I have relatives with both Comcast voip and Vonage and have no problems getting calls from them.

It doesn't really matter where the phone calls come from. They all go to a landline first and then from the landline to Ooma.
The only exception may be Ooma to Ooma calls. They could keep all their calls on their system. Unless they have deals with other VOIP, Mobile, or other not landline carriers to direct calls directly throught the internet.