Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#65787 by dterblanche
Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 pm
I am very disappointed with this. Ooma tech support just told me that Ooma only works with landline and mobile phones for incoming calls.

I just canceled my AT&T service, had two numbers ported ($40 bucks each), hooked everything up, all good. Everything works. BUT did you know.. that any calls that come from a voip system will not ring to your phone but will automatically be picked up by the ooma voice mail? Because I have two phone numbers with ooma, one on the hub and one on the ooma scout, I tried calling from one phone to the other. Went straight to voice mail.

So I contacted ooma tech support and they told me that ooma will only receive calls from landline and mobile phones. Umm.. so does this mean that other ooma users can't talk to each other????????? And what about the new Google Gmail app that now let's us call ANY phone from our computer.

I have had a voip 800 service for several years now. My customers call my 800 number and it follows me to whatever phone number I program it to. Great service. I can schedule it to ring through to me only during business hours. It asks the caller to hold while being connected to the next customer service rep (or whatever I want it to say) then calls my phone. Welll now all those calls go straight to voice mail. Which is what lead me to call and ask Ooma about this whole mess. So a heads up guys, you won't receive calls from people who use voip. And isn't everyone switching to some voip service or another? I mean, that has to be about 50% of the population now.. or will be soon.

Now.. what to do... any suggestions???
#65789 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 pm
Ooma can call ooma without problems. Calls between Ooma and other VoIP are fine too. As for idiosyncrasies with calling between numbers attached to the same main device, I'd have to do some search.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#65794 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:26 pm
dterblanche wrote:I am very disappointed with this. Ooma tech support just told me that Ooma only works with landline and mobile phones for incoming calls.

I just canceled my AT&T service, had two numbers ported ($40 bucks each), hooked everything up, all good. Everything works. BUT did you know.. that any calls that come from a voip system will not ring to your phone but will automatically be picked up by the ooma voice mail? Because I have two phone numbers with ooma, one on the hub and one on the ooma scout, I tried calling from one phone to the other. Went straight to voice mail.

So I contacted ooma tech support and they told me that ooma will only receive calls from landline and mobile phones. Umm.. so does this mean that other ooma users can't talk to each other????????? And what about the new Google Gmail app that now let's us call ANY phone from our computer.

I have had a voip 800 service for several years now. My customers call my 800 number and it follows me to whatever phone number I program it to. Great service. I can schedule it to ring through to me only during business hours. It asks the caller to hold while being connected to the next customer service rep (or whatever I want it to say) then calls my phone. Welll now all those calls go straight to voice mail. Which is what lead me to call and ask Ooma about this whole mess. So a heads up guys, you won't receive calls from people who use voip. And isn't everyone switching to some voip service or another? I mean, that has to be about 50% of the population now.. or will be soon.

Now.. what to do... any suggestions???

I have no problem using Google Voice, dialing from the web, or calling Ooma customers. As a matter of fact, there isn't any systems I can't use. And all callers can get to me with out problems.... except of course, the one's I have BLACKLISTED! :D

Wayne
#65796 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:Ooma can call ooma without problems. Calls between Ooma and other VoIP are fine too. As for idiosyncrasies with calling between numbers attached to the same main device, I'd have to do some search.

If you assign your 2nd number to a device as private number (vs shared), your numbers should be able to call each other. Someone confirm?
#65797 by Bobby B
Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:45 pm
Ooma customers can call each other fine.

If you call one of the numbers assigned to your Ooma system, you'll get forwarded to voicemail, even if the number is assigned to a private Scout.

Some users have reported a workaround, but it's not officially supported:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1806&start=10
#65808 by dterblanche
Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:53 pm
Thanks for all the replies... but... my issue really isn't the ooma to ooma calling.. it's receiving calls from a voip based service.

When I called tech support they told me that "Ooma only supports landline and mobile phone" incoming calls. And that is a quote from tech support.

Is there a way around this?

Anxious for a solution! Thanks :)
#65811 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:20 pm
dterblanche wrote:
Bobby B wrote:Ooma customers can call each other fine.

And other voip services?

No problems calling ooma, ooma has no problems calling them.
#65812 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:38 pm
When I called tech support they told me that "Ooma only supports landline and mobile phone" incoming calls. And that is a quote from tech support.

If that came from support then they got it wrong. It's totally untrue. I have relatives with both Comcast voip and Vonage and have no problems getting calls from them.

Wayne