Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#92017 by richalger
Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:07 am
southsound wrote:+3
Even the least expensive pay as you go VoIP providers have it as a standard, no cost feature. It's called fail-over and it should be an included feature with ALL ooma plans. Anything less is not acceptable. Here is how it would work: If for some reason your ooma device is not registered with the ooma servers, they should forward your calls to a predetermined number. Simple to implement and the right thing to do. JMHO :cool:

I agree. Make fail-over call forwarding free.
#92026 by markcm
Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am
Jerry_NA wrote:
EricJRW wrote:
gail wrote:I agree that call forwarding should be available to all ooma purchasers, without charge, during those times when the ooma network, and not the user's network, is down and not able to provide important telephone services.

+1

+2

+3
#92603 by mainman121
Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 am
I feel that call forwarding to 1 phone number should be free for any OOMA user that purchased a unit. My unit died after less than 2 years and now I'm out of luck unless I purchase a new unit or port my number away elsewhere. I've come across several other users in different forums that complained that their unit died after about 2 years and are now forced to buy a new unit. Something's fishy here if you still can't even use a basic feature like call forwarding without being forced to buy a new unit. Ooma's not such a great deal if I'm forced to buy a new unit again and hope that it lasts more that 2 years. Especially with other alternatives out there. Just my 2 cents.
#92605 by EX Bell
Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 am
+1 Have to agree as well. Even though I have opted for Premier, those that do not want the Premier options should at least receive call forwarding on network failure at no charge. I understand that the company needs to make money and I want them to make money for their survival, health and continued R&D. They're really giving me a bargin for the highly polished features they're offering for ten extra bucks a month, but if enough people don't subscribe to the Premium service, then they may be forced to raise the fee and nobody wants that. So it does make sense that they wouldn't offer all types of forwarding for free, but the elephant in the room seems to be long term reliability of the hardware they sell. In addition, the very fact that VOIP is dependent on a reliable internet connection suggests that offering at least the fail-over option for free is not an unreasonable request.

As a new Ooma user, I'm becoming increasingly ill at ease with the number of forum users that state their device died within the first 1-2 years. I plan to purchase the extended warranty, as that will be more cost effective than buying a new device out of pocket, but I'm curious as to why these units are failing. Are they really dead (AKA "Bricked") or are they just resting? In any case I'm really not looking forward to a day where I have to answer my wife's cell phone call that the Ooma is dead and I'm dreading the thought of it happening three times in less than four years. The worst would be every year. I would have to change my name and go back to Bell if that happened. Say it ain't so.
#93995 by short000
Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm
I've purchased my Ooma over three years ago, so call forwarding was free at first. But now the call forwarding page has been replaced with an ad to get it as a premium service.

Last week a data line surge fried my Ooma Telo (the malfunctioning device brought down my network, flooded it). But I decided to shop around, just like I did when I first purchased the Ooma Telo. I've noticed that the basic features for both NetTalk Duo and MagicJack Plus are now better than the Telo, but are also much cheaper. Ooma has been reducing Basic features and pushing Premiere too much, ignoring the recent improvements made by their competitors.

So I purchased a new NetTalk Duo for $49.99 on Newegg, about 22% of the cost of the Ooma Telo ($229 on Newegg). The first year of service is free, then it's $30 a year, same as MagicJack Plus or Ooma now (can get small discounts for multiple years). The smaller form factor is a plus for me. Ooma Telo's audio was always too faint, so it was worthless as an interactive answering machine--I would not have purchased the Telo if I had known it was that bad. The NetTalk Duo works great so far, and the number port was free. And the no-frills web interface isn't full of upgrade ads.
#94001 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:23 pm
short000, hate to see you go. Hope you don't run into the same issues as joe123. Good luck!

joe123 wrote:Prior to Ooma, I tried Majic Jack and returned withing 30 days. Very unreliable and not good voice quality.

Next I bought Nettalk and kept it for about 2 years with not good results. Bad voice quality and lots and lots of other issues, problems and headaches. I worked with Nettalk "engineers" for months and at time I felt like I was a test bed for them. I also used the Nettalk forums and with little to no help. I then tried Ooma with my same home network I had with Nettalk and bang - Ooma has worked great for us. I should add that I cannot use my Internet much as the Ooma voice quality degrades when using both Ooma and heavy Internet use, but overall Ooma has worked out wonderful for us.

Who the hell knows what is going on, but for me using my same Internet provider, modem and router, Ooma has worked great while Nettalk did not.
#94005 by EX Bell
Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 am
An insecure user name. My preference is joe1234 for added security. :)
#112699 by Rubay
Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm
I think it should be illegal to take away services that were provided when you purchase that service. I'm very disappointed that every option that was once free has been moved to premier. When I upgrade to unlimited cell phone service I will be ditching Ooma. Nothing I hate more than a company that thinks they can bait and switch without recourse.
#112765 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm
Rubay wrote:I think it should be illegal to take away services that were provided when you purchase that service. I'm very disappointed that every option that was once free has been moved to premier. When I upgrade to unlimited cell phone service I will be ditching Ooma. Nothing I hate more than a company that thinks they can bait and switch without recourse.

You are misinformed.