Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#70168 by southsound
Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm
+3

Even the least expensive pay as you go VoIP providers have it as a standard, no cost feature. It's called fail-over and it should be an included feature with ALL ooma plans. Anything less is not acceptable. Here is how it would work: If for some reason your ooma device is not registered with the ooma servers, they should forward your calls to a predetermined number. Simple to implement and the right thing to do. JMHO :cool:
#70238 by EricJRW
Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:34 pm
sfhub wrote:It is already implemented, right? Just not part of the "basic/core" plan profile.

Correct.
#70246 by Hollywood
Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:38 pm
southsound wrote:+3

Even the least expensive pay as you go VoIP providers have it as a standard, no cost feature. It's called fail-over and it should be an included feature with ALL ooma plans. Anything less is not acceptable. Here is how it would work: If for some reason your ooma device is not registered with the ooma servers, they should forward your calls to a predetermined number. Simple to implement and the right thing to do. JMHO :cool:

if this was a feature as you describe, all you would have to do to get call forwarding that the Premier users pay for, is to unplug your ooma when you need forwarding. There would be no way for Ooma to know if your device was broken, your network was down, or you just unplugged it to get free use of a feature they charge for. If the Ooma network went down, that would be another story, but as someone else posted, they probably couldn't forward calls in that case anyway, and they would probably put all of there efforts into getting their system back up as soon as possible.
#70247 by southsound
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm
Hollywood wrote: if this was a feature as you describe, all you would have to do to get call forwarding that the Premier users pay for, is to unplug your ooma when you need forwarding. There would be no way for Ooma to know if your device was broken, your network was down, or you just unplugged it to get free use of a feature they charge for. If the Ooma network went down, that would be another story, but as someone else posted, they probably couldn't forward calls in that case anyway, and they would probably put all of there efforts into getting their system back up as soon as possible.

You are 100% correct about the potential for abuse. I guess I'm a little too trusting - but but I still feel it is important. I have Qwest DSL and if the power goes out, their remote equipment goes to sleep. Even though I have UPS on all my electronics and two backup generators (part of the cost of living in the country) it does no good when the DSL is not working. Now it doesn't bother me for a number of reasons - I have premier and I don't give out my ooma number - instead I give out my GV number and I can point it to my landline. I'm a little unusual, however. Way too many numbers, providers, ATA's and phones. (Did I really admit that? Don't tell my wife!) For those who have just basic ooma service and a cell phone, I believe it is important.

This might help tighten things up a bit - when I signed up for my ooma, they took my mobile phone number as part of my profile. That is where I would expect my calls to be forwarded. If abuse was really an issue, maybe they could somehow track hours of forwarding per month or frequent changes to the mobile phone number in the profile.
#70262 by EricJRW
Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 am
I was going to point out exactly what Hollywood did, but decided not to give ooma a reason not to do this feature.

But now that the cat is out of the bag, the additional suggestion I was going to make is that "forwarding on a de-registered device", for non-Premier subscribers, has a shelf-life. For example, you only have 21 days of forwarding. This is to give you enough time to get your device repaired, replaced, or upgraded.

Regardless, I do find the call logs very helpful to see who called. I only have one phone with caller ID (I'm looking to get better phones), so far now the call logs are a very cool feature.
#83726 by bocaboy
Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:20 am
I agree with most of the responses in this string. Call forwarding is a basic feature that shouldn't require Premiere. It should allow an Ooma user to forward to a different number (vacation or travel requirements) or to a cell phone in the event of an outage. I live in Florida in the hurricane belt, and it's essential to have the ability to get phone calls even if the Internet or electricity is down.

So, "Management", make a great service even better and include call forwarding!
#85825 by chobe
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:36 am
How ironic, given the 5 hour outage today! Noticed there is still not posted acknowledgement on website! Think this request should be given priorty consideration!
#85906 by Charles R
Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:07 pm
chobe wrote:How ironic, given the 5 hour outage today! Noticed there is still not posted acknowledgement on website! Think this request should be given priorty consideration!

My outage was roughly half that and considering the type of outage as posted on the site they would have had nothing to forward... calls weren't reaching them.
#90473 by paladin252
Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 am
i can understand leaving multiring and regular call forwarding to premier, but call forward on outage is helpful. we lost power here for 5 days after getting 2 feet of snow on halloween and for friends and family to get a hold of you in case of emergency is nice for the call to come through to your cell phone since you might not be at home so you can get some heat.