Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#64206 by Bob859
Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 pm
lbmofo wrote:I have a Hub (Core)...how come when my internet or power is out, callers go directly to VM?

I don't know. I contacted ooma via email and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting Ooma Customer Support.

We apologize about the inconvenience and misunderstanding. After verifying, I was able to confirm that the Ooma service doesn't forward calls to the voicemail system if the internet is out. Calls would only reach a message that would say that the number is out of service or get busy signal.

This also isn't an option with Premier. The only option with Premier is the Network Outage Call forwarding that would forward calls to the phone number of your choice when the internet is down.

You may contact our technical support team for any assistance.

Again, our apologies for the confusion."

#64215 by Bob859
Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 pm
lbmofo wrote:Can you do a test and find out? Power down ooma, make a call to see if you get VM. Also, powerdown internet and try. Both instances, you should get VM.

I powered off the modem and made a call to my ooma from my cell phone. I heard one brief ring indication and then nothing. Then, I unplugged the ooma (which also disconnects my internet since it passes through the hub) and the result was exactly the same.....a brief ring indication and then nothing.

#64217 by murphy
Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm
Bob859 wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Can you do a test and find out? Power down ooma, make a call to see if you get VM. Also, powerdown internet and try. Both instances, you should get VM.

I powered off the modem and made a call to my ooma from my cell phone. I heard one brief ring indication and then nothing. Then, I unplugged the ooma (which also disconnects my internet since it passes through the hub) and the result was exactly the same.....a brief ring indication and then nothing.

You have to wait up to 5 minutes for the Ooma server to determine that the Ooma box has gone away. They are not in constant communication. They are polled every couple of minutes or so.
#64250 by Bob859
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:26 am
murphy wrote:
Bob859 wrote:

You have to wait up to 5 minutes for the Ooma server to determine that the Ooma box has gone away. They are not in constant communication. They are polled every couple of minutes or so.

Thanks for that info. I have to go to work now, but I will try the 5 minute wait with my hub when I get home.

#64257 by Bob859
Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 am

.[/quote]
You have to wait up to 5 minutes for the Ooma server to determine that the Ooma box has gone away. They are not in constant communication. They are polled every couple of minutes or so.[/quote]

Thanks for that info. I have to go to work now, but I will try the 5 minute wait with my hub when I get home.

.[/quote]

When I got to work, there was nothing to do (which is fine with me) so I came home and did the experiment. The result was the same after five minutes, but I gave it some more time and it did go to voicemail. It successfully went to voicemail when I tried a call after about 30 minutes. I should have tried more often to get a more accurate idea of how long it actually takes, but I am just happy that it eventually does go to voicemail when the internet is disconnected. Once again, I am a very satified ooma customer. Thanks for your help.