Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#63784 by kevinloomis
Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 am
I'm a long time Ooma user and past SUPER FAN! Before I moved from Cox to Ooma I did a lot of research and placed a call to Tech Support. Within 2 rings I had an American Rep who knew what he was speaking about. I placed my purchase and have deeply enjoyed Ooma for years. That ended a few weeks ago.

Recently, Ooma outsourced their Tech Support to the Philippians. Just like Dell Computer, a fantastic piece of equipment was now being handled by people who cannot speak English, nor answer questions. I've had two experiences with Tech Support that were horrible. The first was an easy fix (increase bandwidth for QOS) but took 15 minutes due to following the rabbit trail of computer questions to ask. The past support team would have asked real questions and I'd have been off the phone in three minutes. This would have been OK except for my last experience.

I've increased my home office to a business network using a static IP from my cable provider. I have a guaranteed 25 mbs down and 3 mbs up. Connecting directly to the cable modem I register 30mbs down and 4.5 mbs up - BLAZING FAST. Configuring Ooma as directed, I'm now getting 5-6 mbs down and 340k up - yes the device is BEFORE my router. I called tech support and the worst rep ever - it was a repeat of my old days dealing with Dell Tech Support (will NEVER buy Dell again!!!!). She kept asking the same question over and over and over. Her English was terrible and she had no idea what she was doing. I begged and pleaded for Tier 2 support - no way. I begged for a supervisor - nothing. Then I started to get frustrated as 20 minutes rolled by on the same screen with nothing done and the same questions being asked (and answered). At that point she said I needed a 'TIME OUT to Calm Down' and put me on HOLD!!!! I have NEVER had that happen - flashbacks of my childhood were in my head. After she put me on hold the THIRD TIME 'to calm down' I hung up.

I conveyed this via email to Ooma Tech support hoping a REAL CARING rep would help. Brandon responsed asking technical questons about my setup. While this is OK, I don't have days and days to solve this via email. I responded twice, both times begging for someone to call. I am literally getting ready to seriously add useage to my system and can't have Ooma taking 90% of my bandwidth! Looking at the forums, this appears to be an Ooma problem (I have the original Ooma white box with scout).

Now, there may be a few Ooma reps (on this board) who will tell me to go to forums and dig around - I have. One Ooma rep actually responded to a person who had a bad experience to 'cut the tech person some slack'. What an arrogant response! The Customer is ALWAYS first. When a company turns away from the customer, other companies will happily to take their business. This is exactly what happend to Dell, Sprint, AT and T and numerous other companies. Companies that ebrace Customers like Verizon Wireless, Cox and DirecTV crush their competition and can charge more. Customers want to feel they count. Ooma USED TO care about their customers. Not anymore.

I am taking this post and will be putting it on EVERY site I can find with reviews for Ooma. I encourge everyone else to do the same. Write and post about how horrible Ooma Customer Support has become. If enough of us complain, perhaps they'll bring tech support back to the United States. BTW Ooma - we are in a recession and our US Citizens NEED THE WORK!!! Support Reps are only paid $15-17/hour (Tier one for the Bay Area - I'm an IT recruiter and place them). Come on! You were a great company and are very close to losing a flood of customers. A great product means nothing is you don't support it. The Philippians is NOT support!!!!
#63787 by southsound
Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:23 am
Wow! First off, let me say that I'm sorry you are so upset - also that I am not an ooma employee but this isn't my first rodeo, so maybe I can help. It seems like you were once happy with ooma and maybe we can get you back there again. Although I can agree about the state of the economy, I'm only going to address your ooma problem - we'll let smarter people like Stewart Varney talk about the other issues.

Ooma can work well between or after your router. With the quality and size of the pipe bringin the Internet to your home, I would just connect up the ooma like you would a computer - in one of your router ports. You don't need to worry about QoS on the ooma - and I would not worry about it on the router either unless you do a lot of bit torrent stuff. I have a much slower Internet connection - the best we can get here on the island is 1.5 mbps down and 768 kbps up. Even with that limited speed I have had two ooma boxes daisychained off my router and had great sound quality. If you don't have enough ports on your router, you can get a nice ethernet switch - I use a Netgear FS116 (16 ports) that I got for about $50. A recommendation if you are buying one - always go bigger than you think you will need. I know this after buying a 5 port and then an 8 port.
#63791 by cylooma
Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:59 am
kevinloomis wrote:I have a guaranteed 25 mbs down and 3 mbs up. Connecting directly to the cable modem I register 30mbs down and 4.5 mbs up - BLAZING FAST.

Since you have guaranteed fat bandwidth. Why not try connecting it behind the router? QOS should not be an issue for you if you are guaranteed this kind of bandwidth. Good luck.
#63805 by southsound
Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm
cylooma wrote:
kevinloomis wrote:I have a guaranteed 25 mbs down and 3 mbs up. Connecting directly to the cable modem I register 30mbs down and 4.5 mbs up - BLAZING FAST.

Since you have guaranteed fat bandwidth. Why not try connecting it behind the router? QOS should not be an issue for you if you are guaranteed this kind of bandwidth. Good luck.

Do you think that may be the same thing I said in the quote directly above yours and some 36 minutes earlier? It is always good to read other people's comments and suggestions before launching out with a new post. This isn't meant as a rant, but mearly a suggestion. :P
southsound wrote:Ooma can work well between or after your router. With the quality and size of the pipe bringin the Internet to your home, I would just connect up the ooma like you would a computer - in one of your router ports. You don't need to worry about QoS on the ooma - and I would not worry about it on the router either unless you do a lot of bit torrent stuff. I have a much slower Internet connection - the best we can get here on the island is 1.5 mbps down and 768 kbps up. Even with that limited speed I have had two ooma boxes daisychained off my router and had great sound quality. If you don't have enough ports on your router, you can get a nice ethernet switch - I use a Netgear FS116 (16 ports) that I got for about $50. A recommendation if you are buying one - always go bigger than you think you will need. I know this after buying a 5 port and then an 8 port.
#63825 by cylooma
Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm
southsound wrote:Do you think that may be the same thing I said in the quote directly above yours and some 36 minutes earlier? It is always good to read other people's comments and suggestions before launching out with a new post. This isn't meant as a rant, but mearly a suggestion. :P

Sorry. There was only one post when I started my response. I had to go do some work in the middle of my post. When I came back, finished and hit submit. You already beat me to it. Either way, the OP should try what we suggested.
#63840 by nn5i
Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:04 am
kevinloomis wrote:Recently, Ooma outsourced their Tech Support to the Philippians.

Well, gosh, if sending messages to the Philippians was good enough for Saint Paul the Epistle Apostle, it ought to be good enough for us. :cool: