Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#63687 by morr08
Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm
qwest won't let me keep my landline as a backup in case of power outages (I have a hub and scout). they will do it but they said they have to give me a new number with a plan which would be about the same (maybe a little less) than my current plan ($40 a month). so I told them to port it back. It took me a long time to sort out the kinks in the system, got it working perfectly and call them up only to find that out. has anyone else had this problem? I can return my ooma but am out the $40 porting fee I paid to switch it to ooma.
So be warned if you still want your landline with qwest they are going to charge you for a new number and a similar monthly fee. maybe they are not being honest or maybe that is just the way it is. I would like to switch but need the landline backup option. so looks like it was a complete waste of time for me.
#63691 by southsound
Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:49 pm
For the life of me, if I see one more copy of this post I will go to your other one where I gave you escalation numbers and delete them! No more double posts. Let us help you - unless you just want to vent!
#63693 by southsound
Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 pm
Note to those who wonder why some of us get ticked at people who double post - while the OP was making his 2nd and 3rd posts of this same message, I had put together a response that included the Qwest Escalations Department number - the folks who could help. My reply was 12 minutes after he posted his original problem. So now we have two threads that will go nowhere because of the confusion. Double posting NEVER helps.

By the way, I am going to post this to the other duplicate thread so please let's not have some bozo accuse me of double posting. I'm just double replying to a triple post. (Darn - that made my head hurt).
#63695 by morr08
Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 pm
yeah sorry i didn't think it was a big deal. the topic just fit into different categories so I put them in those 3 categories. innocent mistake.
#63712 by FreePhone
Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:25 am
Why would you need a backup telephone? If power outages are your concern then connect your devices to a UPS backup unit. I use several in my home. But my backup phone is my cell phone. Just seems to me that an Ooma's price is better than paying for a landline each month.

Wasn't that long ago there were no UPS devices for home use or cell phones. If you lost telephone power, you were Sh!t out of luck until it came back on.
#63725 by southsound
Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:38 am
FreePhone wrote:Why would you need a backup telephone? If power outages are your concern then connect your devices to a UPS backup unit. I use several in my home. But my backup phone is my cell phone. Just seems to me that an Ooma's price is better than paying for a landline each month.

Wasn't that long ago there were no UPS devices for home use or cell phones. If you lost telephone power, you were Sh!t out of luck until it came back on.

As a fellow Qwest customer since it is the only high speed Internet available, maybe I can answer your question from one perspective. My DSL was on a special contract at first. I received two free months, then 12 months at $15 per month, as long as I had their "Home Choice" level of service. When landline was all that was available, it worked OK for me. I was able to have voicemail, call waiting with CWID, ect. for $4o plus taxes. After the year my DSL went up so I dropped back to basic phone service. $13.50 plus about $8 in taxes and fees. It isn't that much more than the added surcharges to not have phone service on my DSL.

There may be a misconception about battery backup or UPS systems. The POTS landline has ALWAYS had battery backup. In fact, the Central Office and all of the remote equipment actaually run on batteries full time. They are kept charged and maintained pretty well. The remote equipment that serves our home (SLIC) can give service for about 12 hours. If you get a chance to visit a Central Office some day, you will find and entire room filled with batteries. With traditional landline service and a CORDED phone, you should almost always have service. An exception would be for equipment failure, fallen trees (if overhead wiring) or a rodent chewing through a fiber cable as happened to our island last year. On the other hand, our DSL is not backed up with batteries. So even though I run my modem, switch, ooma, and a lot of other gear on UPS, when the power goes out our Internet is dead. My cell uses the strongest carrier on the island - and it works about 95% of the time in my front yard or by the barn. Not too good in an emergency. So that is why I keep a landline. It may be similar to the reasons the OP wants to keep his.
#63749 by jhphone
Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:13 pm
We have frequent power outages in this coastal area and a few nights ago we lost it again. So I connected the Comcast modem, Ooma Telo and cordless base to a UPS that's usually connected to my desktop.

Surprise! I had phone service. I was surprised because I thought Comcast's Internet service was locally powered.

But there is an additional factor: there was AC service a few blocks away, including where Comcast has a substation. Sometimes the power outage covers a larger area and I'll find out then just how sturdy Comcast's service actually is.

BTW. I've been in a few COs and saw those large lead-acid battery banks. Doubt that Comcast has such an animal.
#63751 by southsound
Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:41 pm
southsound wrote:
As a fellow Qwest customer since it is the only high speed Internet available, maybe I can answer your question from one perspective.

There may be a misconception about battery backup or UPS systems. The POTS landline has ALWAYS had battery backup. In fact, the Central Office and all of the remote equipment actaually run on batteries full time. They are kept charged and maintained pretty well. The remote equipment that serves our home (SLIC) can give service for about 12 hours. If you get a chance to visit a Central Office some day, you will find and entire room filled with batteries. With traditional landline service and a CORDED phone, you should almost always have service. An exception would be for equipment failure, fallen trees (if overhead wiring) or a rodent chewing through a fiber cable as happened to our island last year. On the other hand, our DSL is not backed up with batteries. So even though I run my modem, switch, ooma, and a lot of other gear on UPS, when the power goes out our Internet is dead. My cell uses the strongest carrier on the island - and it works about 95% of the time in my front yard or by the barn. Not too good in an emergency. So that is why I keep a landline. It may be similar to the reasons the OP wants to keep his.

Well, talk about a reason to keep my basic landline, less than an hour after I wrote the above we had two brief flickers with our home lights. I know from experience that it was our local substation switching to another route. Usually, if it does it 3 times, the power stays out. This time it was only twice. I walked into my office and looked into the network closet to make sure all was well. I have either 5 or 6 UPS systems in the house, but I noticed that my DSL modem was flashing. Upon closer examination, it showed the DSL signal was not locked. I called Qwest repair using my landline and after being in a que for about 10 minutes, asked them to ping the RTE (Remote Terminal Equipment) that is about 1000 feet from our home. They went on hold for about 90 seconds and came back to say that the RTE was down and I was the first to report it. They said they would be sending out a technician and to try the modem every 30 minutes or so. It just came up sometime after dinner. If I was depending on my Internet for VoIP I would have had no phone service - except my cell that does not work in the house. I would have wasted at least 10 minutes of airtime, standing outside. Or maybe no body else would have made the trouble report until afternoon. At any rate, I love my ooma Telo - but I am also happy I have a landline just in case.