Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#63565 by stromo
Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:08 pm
Four days ago ooma pushed the 39530 rev to my telo. It failed and bricked my telo.
With the unit bricked, there is no way to complete a valid flash.

i spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support, waited 4 days for a refurbished unit (to
replace my 4-month old NEW unit), and have to pack up and ship the old unit to ooma.
This has been a big headache for me and a pointless expense for ooma.

[1]Why cant i download the firmware rev to my USB thumb drive and flash the telo myself????

[2]What happens when an ooma rev bricks my telo after my warranty expires?
#63574 by DTMF
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 pm
1 - It's just not the way Ooma does things. Ooma is a product aimed consumers who want to be hands-off, not for tech enthusiasts who want to connect and tweak in every conceivable fashion.

2 - I guess you'd better be prepared to document that the bricking was Ooma's fault, because otherwise, you're buying a new Ooma device. AFAIK, no one else has ever reported firmware-induced bricking in this forum, which means it's unlikely to happen to you again.
#63577 by murphy
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:22 pm
The most likely way to brick an Ooma box during update is to be there when it happens and see the lights start flashing and try to fix it by pulling the power at just the wrong time. If there is even a 100 millisecond danger period during the update, someone will manage to hit it according to Murphy's Law (Guess why I chose murphy for my forum name).