Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#63320 by tony29
Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 am
I have a Telo unit, it works great. However, I see many people own an OOMA HUB unit. I wonder what difference between the Telo and Hub? I search on the ooma.com website I found nothing, the only they sell there is the Telo unit.

Thanks for the answer in advance
#63380 by roadshow
Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:28 pm
Groundhound wrote:See: http://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-hub/features. Any specific questions can likely be answered here on the forums. The Hub is no longer being produced, but can still occasionally be found at some retailers.

Here are a couple of things that they left off in that comparison.

Device________________________________________________HUB_____________TELO

Caller ID Name for Free___________________________________Yes_____________No
Lifetime Phone Tech Support______________________________Yes_____________No
No annual Taxes or Fees__________________________________Yes (on most)____No

If OOMA ever offered a one time lifetime Premier package. I wouold buy it, and upgrade to a Telo, but until then, I think the Hub and Scout is a better deal if you anre not going Premier.
#63384 by FreePhone
Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm
I prefer the Ooma Hub because it has no monthly fees. I could care less about the new Tela features or its voice quality. My Hub sounds no different than my regular phone line and is good enough. I use my own wireless handsets with my Hub and it works great. From what I have read the Tela handset is poorly constructed and just feels cheap.

It is sad that Ooma is now making customers pay the monthly Federal fees with the Tela. At first the fees were only around $12 a year but now for my area, they are $36 a year. This kind of goes against how they used to advertise the product, as a telephone that does not have a monthly bill. Ooma is no longer a free telephone service. So unless you can find a 1st Generation Core box somewhere, using Ooma cost you money each month. And that really defeats the point of using Ooma.
#63418 by ajw522
Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:30 pm
FreePhone wrote:=And that really defeats the point of using Ooma.

Unless you phone bill was $3.50 a month before switching to Ooma, I really don't think having to pay that "defeats the point of using Ooma." With a phone bill of $50 a month, using Ooma will save you $46.50 a month. You save loads of money, which I believe is one of the main points of using Ooma.
#63522 by FreePhone
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 pm
ajw522 wrote:Unless you phone bill was $3.50 a month before switching to Ooma, I really don't think having to pay that "defeats the point of using Ooma."
True, but you have to remember that Ooma still advertises as not having a monthly bill, when this simply is not true. The Federal fees keep going up, first they were around $12 a year, now in many areas they are over $40 a year. If Ooma had started out advertising their product as providing consumers with a lower monthly bill instead of being free, then I wouldn't complain. But it was Ooma that stated there was no monthly bill and hiding the fact about the other fees by putting the disclaimer in small print. It can be kind of misleading to some consumers.

I really want to like Ooma, I really really do. Maybe I am just pissed off right now because they have my $40 number porting money, here it is 5 weeks later and my port still is not completed. Any other number port I have done for my home service and cell phones, only took like 30 minutes (and cost me nothing). I pay for this privilege with Ooma, and it's taking over a freaking month.....really?
#63527 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:29 pm
I think ooma moved away from "no more monthly bills" to "free home phone service."

That's okay I think because people see a lot of things being free but have to pay for tax, shipping etc.

It is unfortunate to see people having porting issues; I trust that they are rare though.

The less than 5 minute porting only happens between wiereless to wireless; only big players too. Don't forget that you lose arm/leg for that free porting during the 2 year lock in.
#64580 by tony29
Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:36 am
roadshow wrote:Here are a couple of things that they left off in that comparison.

Device________________________________________________HUB_____________TELO

Caller ID Name for Free___________________________________Yes_____________No
Lifetime Phone Tech Support______________________________Yes_____________No
No annual Taxes or Fees__________________________________Yes (on most)____No

If OOMA ever offered a one time lifetime Premier package. I wouold buy it, and upgrade to a Telo, but until then, I think the Hub and Scout is a better deal if you anre not going Premier.

Actually, I just got the Caller ID from my TELO unit last week. And the Phone Tech Support is still ON for my TELO. Now, the only difference between the two is the Taxes and Fees for TELO but for on HUB. I think I stay with my TELO unit because the HUB is going out of date soon and will not have any future firmware update. Also, the HUB does not support Bluetooth (Premier), Google Voice Extensions (Premier), also HD Voice and upcoming DTMF.