The status on My Ooma said my number was supposed to be ported yesterday, but now says "Action Required". So I called Ooma customer support and was told they are waiting on their partner carrier. I reminded them that I have been waiting over a month for my port and that they processed my $40. Of course they apologized and then said to keep checking my email and My Ooma, for status updates. The gal on the phone assured me the port will take place, but I have wonder how much longer do I have to wait.
Have to send off yet another payment to my phone carrier.
In the meantime I'm still paying for my landline and I'm burning my free Premiere trial period with only minimal functionality (I just have a single Telo handset hooked up -- I'm not going to hook up the rest of my phones until ooma becomes my main line). I knew porting wouldn't be instant, but ooma's lack of responsiveness is getting me close to full-out frustration. If I weren't afraid that a bungled port attempt would end up killing my landline anyway, I'd consider packing up the Telo/handset, taking them back to Costco, and giving Vonage a shot. My wife would be severely disappointed if we lost our current phone number, though. This is not turning out to be the easy "you'll never notice" process I promised her...
I was also told that they were "waiting on their partner carrier".
I'm not sure if I understand them correctly but the way I take that is: 'It's not Ooma it's the carrier the numbering is being ported from which is slowing the process.'
I thought the FCC had shortened the time required for ports like these to 24 hours. My number is coming from AT&T so I highly doubt they would fall into the 'small carrier' exception group which are granted an extra few months to comply.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/a ... 0708A1.pdf
Trying to use the "order DSL Direct on Port Day" approach that worked for swedrows in March, but now I'm worried I won't be able to use that approach because I can't get a confirmed date from Ooma..going to call them when they open this morning.
If you don't do the dry loop beforehand and do what they suggest, did they say if there is going to be cost to reactivate the DSL once your account is cancelled?
For me Vonage is not even a consideration, because they would cost me as much per month as my current Charter Cable telephone service. I went with the Ooma 1st Generation model so I wouldn't have to pay a dime per month for home telephone service. Based on my current phone bill, the pay back of the cost of my Ooma box and porting fee should be around 8 or 9 months. I don't need the Ooma's Premier service because I can get all that for free with Google Voice.nitsudima wrote:If I weren't afraid that a bungled port attempt would end up killing my landline anyway, I'd consider packing up the Telo/handset, taking them back to Costco, and giving Vonage a shot.
Overall I really like Ooma, just not the slow porting process. I just hope my Ooma box lasts a long time, as I have no desire to get a Tela and have to pay fees. Maybe I should have bought two Ooma Core systems and had one as a backup.