Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#62992 by byost
Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 am
It would be nice to plug a 2.5 mm headset into my Ooma hand held phone to free up my hands while talking.
#63004 by WayneDsr
Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm
Agreed!

Wayne
#63017 by southsound
Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:34 pm
byost wrote:It would be nice to plug a 2.5 mm headset into my Ooma hand held phone to free up my hands while talking.

You are in a LONG line of people who would love to have that feature - myself included. Maybe Wayne can get some walnut brownies for all of us who are waiting in line?
#63027 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:49 pm
I thought this headset thing is a good idea especially for long calls so I bought one to try.

I have these AT&T SL82518 Handsets for home phone.
SL82518-handset.jpg
SL82518-handset.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 9138 times

I bought one of these AT&T EH500 Over-the-Ear Headset from eBay for $10. No good. It is a POS. Volume heard by the other party is low and staticky; on my end, the volume is too low to be usable. The build quality is much like a happy meal toy.
AT&T EH500.jpg
AT&T EH500.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 9138 times

I remeber having excellent/quality conversations using LG SGEY0003607 Stereo Earbud Headset on my cell so I just bought one of these from eBay for $6. Hopefully it isn't my handset that's the problem; I am just spoiled by cell phone ear buds I suppose.
LG SGEY0003607.jpg
LG SGEY0003607.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 9138 times
#63031 by southsound
Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:24 pm
If you spend a lot of time on the phone then a portable headset is almost a must. Although I've been waiting for it to break so I can replace it with the new CT14 DECT 6.0 version, I love my Plantronics portable. Mine is the older CT12 that stomps on any WiFi because it is an extremely strong and non-forgiving 2.4ghz system, but the new one would be great. The little keypad/transceiver has a clip for your belt or fits neatly in a pocket. The headset is extremely comfortable - and the sound quality as great.

I'd love for ooma to consider a similar headset and transceiver for the Telo - I'd probably wear it to bed. On second thought, mrs. southsound might have a problem with that. :P

You can buy it at a variety of retailers, but right now Amazon.com has it for $84.81 with free shipping.
#66284 by southsound
Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 am
mpatrick14 wrote:How do you use a headset like this with the Telo? Do you have it connected to a non Telo phone hooked up to the Telo base?

Actually, the CT14 is a complete telephone and connects up to the PHONE port on the Telo. I have my PHONE port distributed throughout the house so I could plug in my Plantronics base anywhere there is a phone jack. I still recommend having at least one Telo handset if you have Premier. Just as I was typing this, a call came in to our Telo. It was for my wife who was outside. As I was waiting for her to come to the phone, there was a call waiting beep - and my Telo handset rang. I could have either flashed over to the call using the phone that had the call for my wife (not too polite) or take the 2nd call on the Telo handset (and keep a happy spouse). Try that with the typical call waiting offered by your telco or even most other VoIP providers! I still want to someday see a Telo handset with headset jack, but for taking a second call like this, the existing phone is priceless!
#66286 by mpatrick14
Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:04 am
I am not sure I follow. I currently have one Telo handset and then a multi handset cordless phone connected to the phone port on the Telo base. For you to be able to use your existing wall ports, does that mean you have phone service beyond the ooma setup? Or is there a way to connect the Telo base in a way that allows me to use my multi handset cordless, the Plantronics, and the Telo handset?

I thought you could basically only have 1 or the other, which would mean I would have to unplug the non-Telo multi handset cordless when I have the headset plugged into the phone port on the Telo base, leaving only one Telo handset available for the rest of the house to use.
#66289 by southsound
Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:39 am
The PHONE port on the Telo (and also on the hub) emulates your standard telephone company line. In other words, you can use the PHONE port to power all the other jacks in the house, as long as you have severed the connection to the phone company at the Network Interface Box. This gets a tad more complicated if you have DSL, but there are many posts on the forum that can address the issue. Search for Distribution.

If your only need is to use both your multi-phone cordless base and the Plantronics, just stop by a dollar store or Home Depot, Lowes, or Radio Shack and pick up a single line phone splitter. That will allow you to plug both devices into the PHONE jack on the Telo. Nothing should be connected to the WALL jack as that is used for landline integration (can you say bad idea) only.
#66638 by Laughing Laura
Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:59 am
Another vote for a headset jack for a new version of the Telo handset.

Using other phones means you don't have access to the advanced features that I like using.