Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#83459 by nooma4me
Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:14 pm
Couldn't agree more with the title of this post! For over a month now I have been trying to port a number for over the last month and two times I have been told my number can not be ported. Although when I first ordered it they said "yes" it could be ported. They did take my $40 and I'm still waiting. A couple of weeks later I was sent another email saying they couldn't port it and when I called they said it was a mistake and then said they would expedite the porting (which is what they do for everyone so I'm not sure if that meant anything). Then I waited...and waited. Received another email the other day saying they can't port my number. I called the customer NO service today and was told they could not port it bc there was not an available line but when I placed and payed for the porting there was. And on my account the porting status there is now nothing. So far I have nothing more to say than that ooma is a scam.
#83460 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:25 pm
nooma4me wrote:So far I have nothing more to say than that ooma is a scam.

Welcome to Ooma but what you said right there could not be further from the truth. Ooma rocks!
Email ntoy or Bobby to help you look into your situation; at the least, they would tell you a straight answer on what's up.
memberlist.php?mode=email&u=107
memberlist.php?mode=email&u=53
#83539 by EricJRW
Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:51 am
It's also noteworthy to point out that porting in not under the complete control of ooma. The current "holder of the number" has to play nice too. I've read many posts where said holder seems to employ delay tactics to (presumably) squeeze a few more dollars out of you before you go.

I don't know why my AT&T to ooma port took (only) 10 days (several days less than expected - and I had zero problems and zero complaints) whereas when I ported my cellular number from T-Mobile to Sprint it was done during the call (less than 10 minutes), but it was smooth, easy, painless and now I'm really enjoying ooma. It was definitely worth it.

Regardless, multiple entities involved here so It's not always ooma's fault.
#83542 by tomcat
Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 am
EricJRW wrote:I don't know why my AT&T to ooma port took (only) 10 days (several days less than expected - and I had zero problems and zero complaints) whereas when I ported my cellular number from T-Mobile to Sprint it was done during the call (less than 10 minutes), but it was smooth, easy, painless and now I'm really enjoying ooma. It was definitely worth it.

AT&T seems to be one of the better players when it comes to porting from. My port took just under three weeks when I ported from my cable company which uses AT&T for their phone service so I can understand the additional delay, but the port went extremely smooth compared to other stories I have heard on the forum. No complaints from me either.

Also, while I can't quote it, the regulations for cell to cell number porting requires the port to be completed within the same day (or quicker) as the request. That's why your T-Mobile to Sprint port went so quick compared to a landline port.
#83547 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 am
Wireless to wireless ports are automated, hence take less than 5 minutes in most cases.
Ports involving landline & voip are not.
#83552 by EricJRW
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:49 am
lbmofo wrote:Wireless to wireless ports are automated, hence take less than 5 minutes in most cases.
Ports involving landline & voip are not.

Interesting... Thanks.
#86819 by law
Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:08 pm
I'm new to Ooma, and the port of my two land line numbers took place exactly as scheduled without any problems. My land line numbers had originally been with PacBell in 1986 (morphed into AT&T), then to Cox Cable in 2008, now to Ooma without absolutely no problems, and right on schedule. Took a couple weeks.
#87706 by bluesman
Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:03 am
I'm a new Ooma user. Signed up on line to port my AT&T landline number last Thursday late afternoon. Included a copy of my current bill which they said would speed up the process. Porting was completed yesterday afternoon. In other words, they completed it in 5 days and that includes the weekend!! I'll give it a day before I contact AT&T to cancel my service. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think porting my number in 3 working days is pretty good.