Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#62157 by mn2511
Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:52 pm
On Skype, I used to have a Unlimited One-Country Plan. I thought it was a great idea, since to me, it was significantly cheaper than paying for a plan to call all over the world. Ooma should definitively implement more International Plans, specially with UNLIMITED minutes. :)

When the Unlimited World could be something in the range of $9/mo; the Unlimited One-Country could be something like $5.

For customers like us who have family overseas, this makes sense. :idea:
#62171 by DTMF
Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm
What you ask for probably isn't feasible. It almost certainly doesn't cost Ooma the same to deliver calls to every country. Some countries place outrageous tariffs on incoming calls as a revenue source - a way of taxing. Some countries, like Mexico, have ridiculous disparities between what it costs to deliver calls to landlines vs. what it costs to deliver calls to mobile numbers.
#62262 by mn2511
Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:59 pm
Everything is posible, it may just not be equitable for all countries, but that's life, and it's reasonable.
The reality is that:
1) There should be One-Country Plans (competitors have it, and as a consumer, I liked it better).
2) They should be cheaper than a World Plan (it just makes sense)
3) There should be unlimited minute plans (under a fair usage policy... or whatever they need to protect from abuse)
4) Ooma needs to at least match its immediate competitors (Skype/Vonage).
#62277 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:02 pm
I don't think Skype is a real competitor to ooma. Computer dependent and/or special devices; at least I don't want to put up with that.

As for Vonage, Vonage World comes out to about $33 a month. With ooma's current international bundles or even basic bare bones international calling, you should come out way ahead month in month out. If not, you should be with Vonage because it fits your massive international calling needs better.

I am all for ooma coming out with more sensible international calling bundles and options to make ooma more appealing but at the same time, I realize they can't cater to everyone.
#63702 by mn2511
Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:29 pm
I've been a Vonage customer, and I can't really complain, I hardly ever had troubles with them.

As for Ooma, calling internationally can be frustrating. I've already made several claims to Customer Support, and they still haven't nailed it.

As for Skype, who says you need a computer or fancy equipment? You need a computer as often as you use it with Ooma, that is, hardly ever, unless you need to set up or configure something. With Skype-out I can call from any landline or mobile, I enter my PIN and I may even chose Skype to remember where I called from so that I don't have to enter my PIN next time I call. The rest, is dead easy, and extremely reliable. PLUS, the Skype app for the iPhone allows me to call other Skype users or any other phone in the world, and if it's on my plan, I have ZERO costs. With the Ooma iPhone app, not only I had to PAY $9.99 for the app (which is not great by the way...) but also I am charged per minute, regardless of where I call. Not to mention that to use the app I need to be an Ooma Premier subscriber, so that adds another $9.99/mo.

I'm seriously considering keeping my Ooma basic, and switching back to Skype Unlimited One Country for $5.99/mo.
#63711 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 pm
mn2511 wrote:I've been a Vonage customer, and I can't really complain, I hardly ever had troubles with them.

Except for the $33.52 that you have to cough up every month.

mn2511 wrote:As for Ooma, calling internationally can be frustrating. I've already made several claims to Customer Support, and they still haven't nailed it.

If you think ooma's international calling is subpar, why are you looking for more package options from Ooma?

mn2511 wrote:As for Skype, who says you need a computer or fancy equipment? You need a computer as often as you use it with Ooma, that is, hardly ever, unless you need to set up or configure something. With Skype-out I can call from any landline or mobile, I enter my PIN and I may even chose Skype to remember where I called from so that I don't have to enter my PIN next time I call. The rest, is dead easy, and extremely reliable.

I congratulate Skype for implementing this feature; calling card companies (with this same feature) must be taking a big hit.

mn2511 wrote:PLUS, the Skype app for the iPhone allows me to call other Skype users or any other phone in the world, and if it's on my plan, I have ZERO costs.

That's awesome, good for you.

mn2511 wrote:With the Ooma iPhone app, not only I had to PAY $9.99 for the app (which is not great by the way...) but also I am charged per minute, regardless of where I call. Not to mention that to use the app I need to be an Ooma Premier subscriber, so that adds another $9.99/mo.

Please get your facts in order before you post. You don't have to have Premier to use the Ooma app. Ooma to Ooma calls are free. Basic/Core users are charged roughly 2 cents a min for US calls (deducted out of Ooma prepaid account); standard rates for international calls. If you have one of the international bundles, you have access to those minutes via the app. Premier subscribers get 250 free minutes of domestic calling every month with the app; you can even use the 250 mintues as additional minutes in international bundles for now.

Here is the Ooma Mobile FAQ: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... mobile-faq

mn2511 wrote:I'm seriously considering keeping my Ooma basic, and switching back to Skype Unlimited One Country for $5.99/mo.

"Switching back?" You make it sound like you signed up to some Ooma package. The more appropriate term in this case should be "subscribe to Skype again." If that meets your needs, more power to you.