My "fix" for incoming call problem

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
cpahcg

My "fix" for incoming call problem

Post by cpahcg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 am

I was having trouble getting incoming calls to ring on my new Ooma that was set up with landline integration, although I could make outbound calls just fine. After several lengthy tech calls we isolated the "Wall" port on the Ooma device. This diagnosis was supported by the fact that when I jacked into the device via web browser (using a Cat-5 cable into the "Home Network" port), the status display said that a phone line was not connected.

Ooma agreed to send me a replacement unit. Before packing up the original unit I had a thought. I placed a L1/L2 type splitter on the wall jack, then connected the L2 side to the Ooma's Wall port with a phone cord. Success!! All incoming calls rang correctly. At one time I had two lines coming into that jack into my home office phone. Prior to getting the Ooma, I had only been using L2 which my phone was capable of distinguishing. Apparently the Ooma Telo looked for a tone on the L1 pair of the cord from the wall. When it didn't detect one, it reported that no line was connected.

I passed this along to Ooma tech support in case it might help them diagnose someone else's problem (oh, and I cancelled the replacement). A simple L1/L2 splitter saved the day. :idea: