Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#61145 by kbpridgen
Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 pm
a storm came thru last nite and i lost my internet. found out my modem was fried and after getting someone elses', found out my ooma hub is out also. My config is modem-ooma hub-router. when i plug my hub into my modem, i get no activity, and there is no pass thru for router. I drop my hub out of equation and i am back online. I have not called ooma support yet only emailed them. Is there any troubleshooting steps i can take to see if my hub can be salvaged. I tried plugging a cable into the home port on the hub but my computer is not seeing it. can not access it using browser. If my hub is gone, will the scout piece work for something. I do not use it and really have not read what is it used for, i believe it is for a second line or such. will it work as a stand alone device? Just wondering out loud before i have to find me a another hub.
#61148 by murphy
Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:26 am
The Scout can't do anything without a working hub.
#61154 by av8r
Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:49 am
Sounds like your hub is toast. I'm really not sure why ooma charges an $80 "reactivation" fee for someone who buys a used hub. Obviously, they want you to buy new equipment as it supports their business model, but this current method really discourages people from trying ooma and *really* is not a positive thing to have happen to an existing customer. Maybe if they changed the fee structure to something like this:

Current ooma customer who buys a used device....reactivation fee $30
New ooma customer who buys a used device $80 (or whatever)

They have it priced such that people are paying about the same for used equipment as new when you consider the reactivation fee. Additionally, many people are selling used equipment with no mention of the reactivation fee which makes for a very unpleasant surprise for the person buying used equipment.

A little good will here would go a long way, IMO.
#61188 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:37 pm
I think the best route to go is to get a factory refurbished Hub from Frys. No activation fee.
#61189 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:39 pm
But then I checked Fry's prices and seemingly the ooma Core new is the same price as the refurbished Hub :)
#61207 by kbpridgen
Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:40 pm
I got an email from ooma on how to reset device, but i had already tried it thanks to forum. I appreciate the info on the post, thank you all. Will be checking out Fry and other options. I agree with the pricing structure recomended or no activation fee would be better. I have had my hub less than a year and now i will be out another 200.00 dollars or so if i go with the ooma again. Before the downed hub, i had no complaints and would have recommended ooma to others. Now i am not sure.

Ken Pridgen
#61218 by southsound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm
kbpridgen wrote:I got an email from ooma on how to reset device, but i had already tried it thanks to forum. I appreciate the info on the post, thank you all. Will be checking out Fry and other options. I agree with the pricing structure recomended or no activation fee would be better. I have had my hub less than a year and now i will be out another 200.00 dollars or so if i go with the ooma again. Before the downed hub, i had no complaints and would have recommended ooma to others. Now i am not sure.

Ken Pridgen

Since you have had your hub for less than a year it should still be under warranty. I think I would ask them to RMA the unit for testing and let them be the judge if it was lightning damage or a defect. The worst they could do is tell you no, that your unit isn't covered - but I've known ooma to be pretty fair so maybe they will do something wonderful. It can't hurt.
#61290 by bw1
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:10 am
First, I would do as southsound mentioned and try to get a warranty replacement. Also, your insurance should cover lightning damage. Finally, if you are an existing customer with an existing account, there should be no re-activation fee for a replacement device, AFAIK.
#61321 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm
lbmofo wrote:But then I checked Fry's prices and seemingly the ooma Core new is the same price as the refurbished Hub :)

Fry's ooma Core $169.99 item # 5741362