Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#60799 by Gearscout
Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:40 pm
I confirmed it with Ooma technical support yesterday.

I waited on the phone line for almost 40 minutes to get an answer.

So, if you want to use Ooma on your iPhone or Ipod Touch, do NOT UPGRADE to OS4.

Technical support was vague, at best, about an update that would work with OS4. I believe they have to do something to prevent the App from going into background mode. Skype has that feature.

Cheers...
Last edited by Gearscout on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
#60813 by southsound
Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Gearscout wrote:I confirmed it with Ooma technical support yesterday.
I don't know who's support you are speaking of, but they are incorrect. My iPod Touch with OS 4 works just fine. Outgoing calls only right now, but it works and people say it sounds great.

I waited on the phone line for almost 40 minutes to get an answer.
Not acceptable no matter who it was. You have more patience than I do.

So, if you want to use Ooma on your iPhone or Ipod Touch, do NOT UPGRADE to OS4.
Many of us have had no problems.

Technical support was vague, at best, about an update that would work with OS4. I believe they have to do something to prevent the App from going into background mode. Skype has that feature.
Even though the app works it will not work in background mode so no multitasking at this point - that is a future enhancement as is inbound service.
Cheers...
#60866 by Gearscout
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:43 am
That's good news. It was Ooma technical support that told me it was incompatible.

If you have it working with OS/4 -- is there a setting somewhere I may have failed to invoke? Can I set my iPod touch so it WILL NOT ATTEMPT background mode? Obviously, mine is behaving differently than yours.

As noted in my original post, every time I see it slip into background mode it crashes. I had an experience last weekend where I could hear the voice on the other end of the call but they couldn't hear me.

Would love to solve this and use the mobile App.

Thanks!
#60933 by Gearscout
Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:09 am
As far as I can tell at this point, the Ooma Mobile App is better behaved under OS/4 if you go into:

Settings --> General --> Auto-Lock

...and configure that to "Never." That prevents it from slipping into background mode during a call. That's when I find this App crashing almost 100% of the time.

Still, it has failed in other situations as well. At least on my second-generation iPod Touch. (8MB) Perhaps it has something to do with 2nd vs. 3rd generation hardware here.

bw1 -- thanks for your reply and the link. Very helpful!