Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#61125 by southsound
Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:26 pm
midas wrote:Are there any phones on the market other than Telo handset that will light up when you have voicemail waiting? I tried the ones that came with Vonage package (Dect 6.0) and an older Panasonic set. Neither light up when a voicemail is waiting.

My Uniden 1580 system works fine with the little light in the handset corner flashing when there is a new message. The system comes with up to 5 handsets in the package - I paid about $80 on sale at Staples for my 5 handset package. Costco has the 2 handset version for about $40. Neat thing is that you can make intercom calls between handsets, you can have more than one person on the call, and each handset has a great speakerphone. The downside is that there is not a headset jack. Note that all handsets will appear as one phone so you cannot use the instant second line or have two simultaneous calls unless you involve a Telo handset.
#61136 by bw1
Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:25 pm
I think most of the new phones do now. My Panasonic model KX-TG6441 does and it displays that there's a voicemail waiting on the LCD screen along with a flashing light. It won't display how many voicemails are waiting like the Telo handset does.

It also displays the number of missed calls and when you view the missed calls on one handset, it clears the message for all handsets.
Last edited by bw1 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#61139 by wpwood3
Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 pm
midas wrote:Are there any phones on the market other than Telo handset that will light up when you have voicemail waiting? I tried the ones that came with Vonage package (Dect 6.0) and an older Panasonic set. Neither light up when a voicemail is waiting.

My new Panasonic KX-TG6513B set arrived today. I hooked them up and tested voicemail.
YES! The light on the top blinks and the LCD also indicates there are voicemail messages. You can also program them to dial into the Telo voicemail to retreive messages. Works great! :D
#61150 by midas
Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:58 am
Unfortunately the DECT 6.0 phones that ship with the Vonage package didn't work for voicemail notificaiton. I had hoped they would since I already had them. I'm trying to avoid buying a phone system that has an answering machine. It just seems like it must be extra cost that I'll get no use from.

I'm wondering about this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+- ... _desc=null

It's the TG64 series rather than the TG65. But it looks similar. Maybe the difference in 64 and 65 is just the answering machine and the handsets are the same.
#61158 by midas
Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:31 am
Well after doing a little more research, I hope I made the right decision. I went with the Panasonic KX-TG6533B. This appears to be the same as the KX-TG6513B except that it has talking caller-ID, which I'm sure I'll get tired of in about 10 minutes. But hopefully it will work with the voicemail indicator. That's really my only WAF need at this point.
#61192 by midas
Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 pm
Thanks for the tips guys about the phones. The Panasonic works perfect. VM light works and VM button can be programmed to dial right in.
#61224 by bw1
Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:21 pm
Just for others reference, the Panasonic that I have has a built-in answering machine. But it's easy to turn off and it keeps the off setting even when it loses power. It also has a built-in speakerphone and dialpad so you can make calls from the base without a handset.
#61228 by hackerguy
Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:52 pm
I have a Uniden 1560 base with 4 handsets and the handsets flash a red light in upper left when the Telo has voice mail waiting.
#61236 by nn5i
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:37 am
midas wrote:Are there any phones on the market other than Telo handset that will light up when you have voicemail waiting? I tried the ones that came with Vonage package (Dect 6.0) and an older Panasonic set. Neither [lights] up when a voicemail is waiting.

Most unlikely, unless some future release of Telo firmware sends the necessary signal to devices connected to the PHONE port. Ooma could do that; many old-fashioned wired telephone systems send the information down the wire, and the Telo, when something is plugged into the PHONE port, could surely send the same thing down the wire. But that wouldn't encourage the purchase of Telo handsets, would it.
#61240 by highq
Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:18 am
nn5i wrote:
midas wrote:Are there any phones on the market other than Telo handset that will light up when you have voicemail waiting? I tried the ones that came with Vonage package (Dect 6.0) and an older Panasonic set. Neither [lights] up when a voicemail is waiting.

Most unlikely, unless some future release of Telo firmware sends the necessary signal to devices connected to the PHONE port. Ooma could do that; many old-fashioned wired telephone systems send the information down the wire, and the Telo, when something is plugged into the PHONE port, could surely send the same thing down the wire. But that wouldn't encourage the purchase of Telo handsets, would it.

Actually: more than likely!
Connected to my Telo is a Panasonic Dect 6.0, model KX-TG1033S, which I must have bought at least three years ago. I am presently staring at a lit-up voicemail indicator on the Telo as well as a flashing light on all three Panasonic handsets, as well as on my Ooma Handset.