Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#60692 by wpwood3
Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:01 pm
Hi All!

I've been looking at several VoIP options for several months and decided on Ooma. Last week we got our Telo and Telo Handset. The setup was a breeze, voice quality is great and now I'm just waiting for our old phone number to be ported over. The estimate is currently less than 2 weeks.

We were using AT&T local, long distance and DSL. I decided to dump DSL and changed over to Comcast cable. Once our number is ported I'll dump AT&T local and long distance, too. A savings of around $65/month so our payback is less than 4 months with Ooma. Gotta love it! :D

Glad this forum is here! I'm sure I'll have questions as we move to Ooma for our primary home phone.
#60694 by southsound
Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:29 pm
Let me be the first to welcome you to ooma and to the forum! You're going to like it here! :cool:
#60773 by nn5i
Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:43 am
Let me echo SouthSound's welcome. I've dumped Sprint/Embarq/CenturyLink -- they change their name about twice a year -- and am quite pleased with my Telo, although I wish Customer Service were (1) more competent, and (2) easier to understand in English. But the Telo itself seems a better-conceived product than its competition is, although I still wish it had a wall-mount bracket so I wouldn't have to design & build my own.
#60795 by wpwood3
Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 am
Thanks guys!

As I mentioned above, I got one of the Telo Handsets. It works ok but, I am leaning toward just getting some Panasonic Dect-6 cordless phones for various rooms around the house. I don't need access to voicemail in every room so the Telo handset is overkill. The KX-TG6513B looks like it might be ok.

Any thoughts?
#60807 by bw1
Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm
I got a set of 5 Panasonic Dect 6 phones from Costco. They work well. Others have Uniden or VTech.

I also have Telo handsets that give me access to voicemail, call screening, send to voicemail and instant second line.
#60818 by tommies
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:36 pm
I recently got a Uniden 1588-3 from Costco for $60. I has a corded base with 3 Dect. 6.0 hand sets. With power out, the base works as a basic corded phone, and I like this.
#60894 by nn5i
Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 pm
tommies wrote:I recently got a Uniden 1588-3 from Costco for $60. I has a corded base with 3 Dect. 6.0 hand sets. With power out, the base works as a basic corded phone, and I like this.

Now if you can get the Telo to work with power out, you've got it made. The tiniest of UPSs will work, of course, and handle the whole schmear.
#60899 by tommies
Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm
nn5i wrote:
tommies wrote:I recently got a Uniden 1588-3 from Costco for $60. I has a corded base with 3 Dect. 6.0 hand sets. With power out, the base works as a basic corded phone, and I like this.

Now if you can get the Telo to work with power out, you've got it made. The tiniest of UPSs will work, of course, and handle the whole schmear.

Yes, as I had said on various posts, I have my modem, router, and telo on a CyberPower 850. My pc is on another (Tripp-Lite).

The LCD display on the 850 says it will last 90+min. with the current load. I'll be happy if it's actually last half of that.
#60916 by wpwood3
Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:43 pm
Well, I looked at several different phones yesterday and ended up ordering the Panasonic KX-TG6513B anyway. They are the new Dect-6 Plus phones and have all the features I need, use regular AAA NiMh batteries and have a nice display. I got a Plantronics headset, too.

Speaking of UPS systems... Yes, I have my computer gear, modem, router, hub, etc on a UPS. I also have my Telo on the UPS and can use my Telo Handset if the power goes out.

The Panasonic stuff will not be on UPS. Although, Panasonic does offer an optional battery backup kit for the base station. We rarely lose power in my area so it's not worth it.
#61117 by midas
Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:58 pm
Are there any phones on the market other than Telo handset that will light up when you have voicemail waiting? I tried the ones that came with Vonage package (Dect 6.0) and an older Panasonic set. Neither light up when a voicemail is waiting.