Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#59437 by gconklin3@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:05 pm
When OOMA is connected to my ATT 2 wire modem/router, my computer speed decreases to a variable degree making it impossible to reach certain web sites such as downloading Quicken updates at times. When I test the speed of my wireless connected computer at the same time the speed is normal.
My wired computer works fine when I disconnect the OOMA internet connection.
What gives? and what can I do.
Thanks for any ideas.
#59461 by bw1
Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 am
Ooma Hub or Telo?
MAC address set to "Use Built-In"?
Is Ooma QOS "turned off"?

Is your computer connected to the Ooma device Home port?

If so, try connecting to the router directly.
#59667 by oom101
Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:19 am
Is the problem only happening when you are on a Ooma call?
I went into setup.ooma.com which connects you to the ooma, via the PC plugged into the home port, and set under advanced the QOS "up" and "down" to 0, which turns it off. QOS is quality of service, I believe it is, which is a priority and Ooma uses it as a governor, which can slow down your connection. You could try this easily.
Last edited by oom101 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59668 by oom101
Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:25 am
The Home port is for connecting a PC or router to the Ooma. The Ooma should be connected to your modem or modem/router via a cable from the Ooma Modem port.

By the way, he meant try connecting the PC to the modem/router directly along side the Ooma, but that assumes your modem/router has at least 2 ports for cables to plug in. Some do.
#59727 by samq
Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:06 pm
The ATT modem/router needs to be have the router turn off and then connect the Ooma the to ATT modem/router. The PC may be connected then connect to Ooma. If you needs to have wireless, I suggest the D-link 655 router. Thus is how I have Ooma connected and it works well with no effect what so ever on DSL speed even when we on the Ooma with a phone call.
#59741 by gconklin3@yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:35 pm
Thanks. Turns out I have a Telo. I didn't know there were 2 devices.
So I need to only use the ATT modem and my own router. I guess I'll try this when my computer expert son arrives. Also, with the modem/router, it seems difficult or impossible to use remote assistance.
Or I could switch back to cable.
#59804 by oom101
Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:57 pm
I think you are saying that the Att has wireless built in? Are you a Uverse customer?
If so, and the ATT has 2 wired ports for devices, power it off, and plug the Ooma in a port, and the wired computer in the other instead of connecting the PC to the Ooma. Of course you will have to plug the PC to the Ooma whenever you do setup.ooma.com to change settings, though. I still like having setup.ooma.com advanced with down 0, and up 0.