Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#62186 by Larion383
Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:17 am
Well thank you again southsound.

Re speed.........Once again, it is NOT the issue. Yes, I have checked speed often, and I do mean often. Also, I know what "bad" stuttery audio sounds like on VOIP when packets get dropped. I do not have "bad" audio, I have NO audio.

Re ports.......Things at setup.ooma.com look OK to me but maybe I wouldn't know. If someone here knows good from bad and wants me to copy and paste any of that info, I'll be happy to do it.

Customer support at ooma has never asked for that info.

Thanks.
#62190 by southsound
Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:11 am
I wasn't as concerned about the speed as I was the other results - packet loss, jitter and delay. It was a long shot because these would usually have an effect on the call quality - not whether or not you could actually complete the call.

The ooma internal webserver that you reach at setup.ooma.com or 172.27.35.1 (both from the home network port) will show if the ooma ATA is properly talking to the ooma servers or if some part of the path is not responding properly. I would do a comparison of these when the system is running great and when the system will not complete a call. It is the delta that may shine some light.

Under the STATUS tab:
Network
MODEM: Connected : [192.168.0.4]
HOME: Disconnected (my Telo is after my router - I use port forwarding to reach it - hence the disconnected status)
Ooma Tunnel: Connected

Services
Telephony: 533 - Running
DNS: 574 - Running
Web Server: 527 - Running
VPN: 782 - Running
Free: 198028

Under the PORTS tab:
HOME Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:05:10
inet addr:172.27.36.1 Bcast:172.27.36.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:55

MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:05:11
inet addr:192.168.0.4 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:475993 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:487150 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:93144907 (88.8 MiB) TX bytes:92663180 (88.3 MiB)
Interrupt:53
#62202 by Larion383
Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 am
And thank you again.

RE speed......yes, it works fine..........when it works.

RE ports.......my info at setup.ooma.com is essentially the same as yours. Everything "connected", etc.

Thanks

The people at ooma email support (NOT) are still telling me silly things like "check the phone cable", etc.
#62210 by ddominic
Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:13 pm
Horrible Customer Service and Tech Support For Porting.

I had a business line that I had with a VOIP company that I wanted to port to my Ooma Hub since 7/17/10. I called today, 8/16/10 to check on the status with this porting. The customer rep from Ooma stated sorry but it appears that the VOIP sent a statement to Ooma stating the number that was trying to be ported didn't belong to them. I told the customer rep what ? I said that number is a business line that I had for over 10 years with them and still have it.

The customer rep said what we can do is to print out a statement with my name and the telephone number and have me signed the statement saying that number belong to that VOIP company. I told them if I did that how long will it take to port my number. He didn't answer. I told him that it already has been a month and the phone number has not been ported. If I signed the statement with the phone number and send it to them it could be another month before the number is ported. which means I would have waited 2 months. Plus I already did this online on 7/17/10 with the statement agreement to the VOIP number that I wanted to port.

Anyway Ooma service is great but their customer service is extremely poor and their porting process is horrible. I have never heard of a company not being able to port a number and taking more than 30 days. I didn't get any results and of course the untruth lie about the VOIP company saying that the phone number doesn't belong to them according to what Ooma stated. The sad part about this process is even though the phone number has never been ported, I probably lost the business line (phone number) during the transition. I told Ooma to refund my 39.99 fee for porting and told them to cancel the porting request due to the fact it got no where. Horrible service from their ooma tech and customer service department.
#62650 by Larion383
Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:16 pm
I should inform any interested listeners in this forum......my ooma is functioning again.

The poor email customer service is still asking me to change the phone I use, check speed, etc, but somebody did something just like last time......and it works.

Maybe the 100 times I rebooted were not enough and the 101 rst reboot did it.

I'm happy to use ooma, when it works, but the customer support still stinks.
#63779 by majidmo
Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:00 am
Re: Ooma custermer service and tech support
by DTMF » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 am

gamb00ler wrote:
Unfortunately, I've had a different experience with Ooma support.

Currently, I'm unable to add funds to my prepaid account using Ooma's website. I get a strange error message that says,

Please check out following fields
[1] System Completed Request - No Further User Action Is Required

After getting this message I cannot compete the purchase. I've tried calling Ooma support, but never get to speak to anyone. Twice I've emailed them and have yet to receive any response, not even a canned response acknowleding my e-mail.

So now, I'm out of funds and cannot call my family. Shame on Ooma!Cut them some slack on this one. There may be an issue with your payment. Companies like Ooma that sell international long distance service online have to deal with a lot of fraudulent charges, so they tend to have payment systems with a lot of "tripwires" that require manual review by a human before a payment goes through. Something about your charge transaction probably activated one of those tripwires and the people doing the manual reviewing may not work overnight or on weekends. It's not a reflection on the company's view of you or the importance of your business that might cause them to do this. It's a reflection of management's desire to not provide service to ruthless thieves and fraudsters who can pay for a service with someone else's CC number and use it up in less time than it takes to receive a chargeback from the card issuer. That kind of fraud costs companies more time and money to undo than it does to prevent it in the first place. Since you took the time to post here and complain, you're almost certainly not a ruthless thief or fraudster. Give Ooma a little time to verify that for themselves.

I get the same error when trying to add money to the prepaid account. It is close to a month and the issue has not been fixed yet. This is a terrible customer service. This is the 3rd time I am seeing major problems that take very long to get fixed. Even if the error was due to customer's input, that error message is one of the worst I have ever seen. Completely meaningless and any programmer should know better than.
#63788 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 am
majidmo wrote:I get the same error when trying to add money to the prepaid account. It is close to a month and the issue has not been fixed yet. This is a terrible customer service. This is the 3rd time I am seeing major problems that take very long to get fixed. Even if the error was due to customer's input, that error message is one of the worst I have ever seen. Completely meaningless and any programmer should know better than.

Did you take up on ntoy when he offered help?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3315&p=50741#p50741
#63790 by nn5i
Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:47 am
DTMF wrote:Cut them some slack on this one. There may be an issue with your payment ... Something about your charge transaction probably activated one of those tripwires ..

Such rich conjecture, on such poverty of information! How could you possibly know any of that? Answer: you couldn't. While any of that could in principle be true, it is a groundless conjecture, a totally wild guess that most would not venture to make.

Ooma's customer support is -- in my limited experience (not limited quite enough for me, though) -- always polite and often helpful. Also, though, it is sometimes worse than useless, as when the CS rep says on the phone that the problem is unique to the non-Ooma phone I can't call, and Ooma can't do anything about it and can't even try -- when actually it is a known problem that Ooma is already working on. That was my case from the time of purchase to several days ago -- two-and-a-half month, plus -- but the problems seem now to be fixed, all without my friend's having to call her non-Ooma supplier and complain, which Ooma's CS rep had come as close to demanding as civility allows. I stayed civil, so she did too -- but it took two-sided effort. That effort is always worth it.

When Ooma's CS reps help, they're generally very cordial, very conscientious, and very prompt. When they don't help, I suspect it's because Ooma keeps'em in the dark.