Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#59136 by dsinternet
Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:28 am
My parents are going on a 21 day cruise with Holland America (Greece, Italy, Spain) on the Prinsendam Ship and he would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how he could communicate while on the boat. I suggested that he borrow my Ipod Touch and use the Ooma Mobile app and the IPods e-mail while on the ship. I also said that he would have to make sure the Touch's internet is turned OFF unless he is sending or calling someone so he does not eat away his internet ship minutes.

Here are Internet details from Holland America:
Each ship features an Internet Center, and in addition there are a number of "hot spots" available on each ship for personal laptop use. Guests on all Vista Class ships may access the Internet directly from their stateroom. There is a one-time activation fee of $3.95. The basic time charge is $.75 per minute, or you can purchase a discounted time plan of 100 minutes for $55.00 or 250 minutes for $100.00. Laptops may be rented for $20 per day.
(Since he is going for 30 days I would suggest doing 250 minutes for $100)
He also has an AT&T cell phone and they said it would cost him about $1.99 a minute to use it.

Any suggestions?
#59145 by southsound
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:53 pm
dsinternet wrote:My parents are going on a 21 day cruise with Holland America (Greece, Italy, Spain) on the Prinsendam Ship.

Any suggestions?

You bet! First, wish them bon voyage for me and tell your folks that the purpose of a nice cruise like this is to enjoy themselves - not to be tied to all the little problems that will come with having good phone service. Let them use their ATT cell phone for emergencies - that way they will be available if they need to be but not tethered to home needlessly. When I used to work for Microsoft my schedule was so granular that once when I was on a trip our power went down and she could not find all of the UPS's that were beeping and didn't know what to do. I wasn't carrying my cell phone but she had a copy of my schedule and called where I was. I racked up about 3/4 million frequent flier miles when on the road - so when we took a couple of trips to Europe we took backpacks and NO phone. It was the most refreshing thing I ever did! :cool:
#59157 by dsinternet
Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 pm
They like to call or write in order to give the family updates about their trip. They like to share. It is also known that problems like their house starting on fire would not be told to them until they are back home. It's their fun trip and the family would not spoil it for them.
#59167 by Shawn
Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:36 pm
I cruised couple times on Royal Caribbean. The last one was like 15 days from Copenhagen to Athens. From my experience, internet on-board was expensive and slow. I carried my netbook and used wifi at port of calls where there were free wifi or at internet cafe. I could also make voip calls using Onesuite. For emergencies, I used sms from AT&T, which was $0.50 per message send or receive for international. For that, I temporarily stop the voice mail for that phone so I won't pickup any voice mail while I was checking for text messages.
Last edited by Shawn on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59168 by scooch
Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:44 am
Since the cruise ships use satellite telecommunications for their internet bandwidth, it is a very limited service. Most ships have less than 1Mbps of bandwidth for the entire ship that everyone shares. Since it is a satellite, the latency is upwards if half a second. If you could even get a connection, it won't work well or at all for voice.
#59200 by dsinternet
Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:26 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I passed them on to my parents.
I think waiting until the port of call is the best idea. However there is a 4 day period that they are at sea without a port of call.

Edit: My parents said they like the below suggestion the best. I guess I was wrong about communicating with their family.
"...tell your folks that the purpose of a nice cruise like this is to enjoy themselves - not to be tied to all the little problems that will come with having good phone service. Let them use their ATT cell phone for emergencies - that way they will be available if they need to be but not tethered to home needlessly. "

I do think they should at least test out the Ooma moble phone on the IPod while they are in a port and have free wifi.
#59210 by southsound
Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:39 pm
Image :P