Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#58968 by darindf
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 pm
Does anyone know if you can use ooma mobile on multiple devices. I downloaded it for one iphone already, and got it to work. Then I downloaded it to the 2nd and I can't seem to register the 2nd iphone, even if I generate a new password. Note generating a new password makes the 1st iphone not authorized. But if I use the new password on the first iphone, then it becomes authorized again. It seems that once you register one iphone, there is no means to switch or use a second iphone as well.
#58972 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm
Initially thought you bought the app from itunes. The beta version can only be installed on the iphone you specified. But the one you download from iTunes, you are supposed to be able to use on all your devices according to Dennis.

Dennis P wrote:Yes, we are working on incoming calls. It doesn't matter too much which version you use. If you already bought the app, you might as well use that for now. At least you will be able to use it on all your devices. The ad hoc version can only be used on the devices in the provisioning file.
#59003 by darindf
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 am
Not sure what you mean. When you buy an app on itunes, which you can do from either from itunes on a computer pc/mac, or from the iphone, it downloads. For other iphones that are shared on your itune account, you can then redownload the app directly from itunes app store (without charge)(using your iphone) or use itunes pc/mac to sync and distribute the app to other iphones in your itunes account. So in other words apps that you purchase on your itunes account can be shared/distributed (freely) to other iphones/ipads/itouches that are on your itunes account.

So for example I have skype app downloaded to several iphones. And with that I can use the same skype account and make a call from any of them, ditto with any other apps, facebook, newsreaders, netflix, xm radio, haven't tried hulu plus yet, all with the same user account info. None of these are locked to any particular iphone. Also this brings up the issue, what happens if you get an iphone replaced, does that mean you loose ooma altogether cause it's tied to the phone it was originally downloaded to?

So I have tried to use ooma mobile on 2 devices, non-simultenously. I have it download and working on one iphone. I have it downloaded to a 2nd iphone, but when I try to authorize it, I get errors about authentication, even when I go and regenerate the password, which then makes the 1st iphone ooma mobile inoperative since it can no longer authenticate. This regenerated password doesn't allow the 2nd iphone to operate, however if I go back to the 1st iphone and use the regenerated password, it can reauthenticate and ooma is functional once again.

So the issues seems that only the first iphone that ooma mobile is authenticated with, is the *only* iphone that will work with ooma mobile. So a 2nd iphone, from replacement or another member of your itunes account, will not be able to use ooma mobile at all since they will encounter authentication problems.
#59027 by murphy
Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 am
ntoy wrote:Hello,

You can install them to multiple devices as long as they all sync to the same computer.

What happens if those multiple devices attempt to make a phone call at the same time with the same credentials?
Does it become an instant second line situation?
#59030 by ntoy
Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 am
The important thing to remember is that simultaneous calls would each use prepaid minutes or deduct from the 250 minutes if you have premiere.

Calling another Ooma number would not.
#59042 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:09 pm
darindf wrote:Not sure what you mean. When you buy an app on itunes, which you can do from either from itunes on a computer pc/mac, or from the iphone, it downloads. For other iphones that are shared on your itune account, you can then redownload the app directly from itunes app store (without charge)(using your iphone) or use itunes pc/mac to sync and distribute the app to other iphones in your itunes account. So in other words apps that you purchase on your itunes account can be shared/distributed (freely) to other iphones/ipads/itouches that are on your itunes account.

So for example I have skype app downloaded to several iphones. And with that I can use the same skype account and make a call from any of them, ditto with any other apps, facebook, newsreaders, netflix, xm radio, haven't tried hulu plus yet, all with the same user account info. None of these are locked to any particular iphone. Also this brings up the issue, what happens if you get an iphone replaced, does that mean you loose ooma altogether cause it's tied to the phone it was originally downloaded to?

So I have tried to use ooma mobile on 2 devices, non-simultenously. I have it download and working on one iphone. I have it downloaded to a 2nd iphone, but when I try to authorize it, I get errors about authentication, even when I go and regenerate the password, which then makes the 1st iphone ooma mobile inoperative since it can no longer authenticate. This regenerated password doesn't allow the 2nd iphone to operate, however if I go back to the 1st iphone and use the regenerated password, it can reauthenticate and ooma is functional once again.

So the issues seems that only the first iphone that ooma mobile is authenticated with, is the *only* iphone that will work with ooma mobile. So a 2nd iphone, from replacement or another member of your itunes account, will not be able to use ooma mobile at all since they will encounter authentication problems.

It should work the same way with the ooma app. Since you posted in the Beta forum, I thought you had the adhoc version handed out by Dennis. The itunes version should work on all your devices. Generate the password again and use on both phones' apps.
#59256 by moofrank
Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:47 am
I have the Itunes version on two different phones, and am seeing this same problem.

The only thing to note is that we do not sync our phones to the same computer.
#59274 by darindf
Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:48 pm
Silly me, on "my ooma" pages, the "ooma mobile" has a beta label next to it. Guess there is a beta of the beta too.

Right I haven't sync the 2 iphones to the same computer, but itunes now allows you to use multiple computers (up to 5 computers) with the same account, plus you can share the songs/app/shows/movies/ringtones/podcasts/books using itunes built in sharing service, also this will allow you to move these items from one computer itune library to another computer itune library.

I appreciate all the help, but so far I haven't heard anyone getting this to work with multiple iphones.