Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#57902 by nn5i
Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm
Interesting: I use a call-intercepting-and-routing system of my own design that, among other things, suppresses the first ring of incoming calls (by disconnecting all phonesets). Then, depending on the CallerID, it connects them back again, or not, for subsequent rings. This silences unwelcome callers.

To do this, I designed a ring detector that is very fast. It has to be fast, because it has to detect an incoming ring signal and disconnect the phonesets before they detect it, so they won't ring on the first ring. Between the first and second rings it gets CallerID and decides whether to reconnect phonesets for subsequent rings. Known unwelcome callers never cause my phones to ring.

Using it with my new Ooma Telo, it behaved strangely: on each ring it actually detected four or five separate rings. I suspect this means Ooma provides a square wave of about 4 Hz as a ring signal, rather than the 20 Hz sinusoid that conventional wired systems typically provide.

Can anyone verify this? I could just put an oscilloscope on the line and find out, of course -- but it's easier to ask first. Anyone know? Ooma folks, can you describe the Telo's ring output?

I was able to program around it easily, so it's not a problem; but still I'm curious.
#58338 by philw132
Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:35 pm
I'm afraid I dont know to much about frequency ranges or oscilloscopes but i do use a piece of software called "NCID" it detects the ring, reads the caller id info from it then sends the caller id info to all the computers and tvs equipped with a HTPC. they just resently made a change to there software to detect CID info faster then normal devices (some VOIP phone companys send out the CID info durring the first ring instead of between the 1-2 ring) but also rechecks between the 1-2 ring as normal... for whatever reason now the CID info is missing half the time.. i just finished talking to the creator of the software and he believes Ooma sends a ring differently then a normal POTS does. He is willing to make a patch for the software to incorporate Ooma's ring but more information is needed.. i'd be curious to what you have found so far.

also ive heard that the fax mode enables a higher quality mode for tones to properly be understood by modems and such.. did you have fax mode on via the my.ooma.com page? also on that page there is a ring pattern i haven't played around with that setting yet but i suppose there could be something there too.

thanks for the post, sounds like a great device you rigged up, wish something like that came standard on everyphone and telo :)

nn5i wrote:Interesting: I use a call-intercepting-and-routing system of my own design that, among other things, suppresses the first ring of incoming calls (by disconnecting all phonesets). Then, depending on the CallerID, it connects them back again, or not, for subsequent rings. This silences unwelcome callers.

To do this, I designed a ring detector that is very fast. It has to be fast, because it has to detect an incoming ring signal and disconnect the phonesets before they detect it, so they won't ring on the first ring. Between the first and second rings it gets CallerID and decides whether to reconnect phonesets for subsequent rings. Known unwelcome callers never cause my phones to ring.

Using it with my new Ooma Telo, it behaved strangely: on each ring it actually detected four or five separate rings. I suspect this means Ooma provides a square wave of about 4 Hz as a ring signal, rather than the 20 Hz sinusoid that conventional wired systems typically provide.

Can anyone verify this? I could just put an oscilloscope on the line and find out, of course -- but it's easier to ask first. Anyone know? Ooma folks, can you describe the Telo's ring output?

I was able to program around it easily, so it's not a problem; but still I'm curious.
#78458 by nn5i
Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 am
I too am curious about NCID. Never heard of it, and when I Google it I get a gazillion links to something run by the State of North Carolina, which I infer is not what you're talking about.
#78499 by nn5i
Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:20 pm
lbmofo wrote:Maybe this is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCID

Sehr interessant. Danke. I note that it is a GNU license and available on SourceForge, which distributes some other stuff I use (AutoAP, for example). Therefore it probably runs in Linux, which I have hitherto failed to master.