Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#57122 by heilpern
Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 am
I would like the blacklist feature to be seriously upgraded to act more like a set of rules where each rule matches a number (perhaps using regular expressions or at least wild cards, for the highest degree of flexibility) and an action to take. The way it would work is on an incoming call, the CID would be matched against each rule in the list, in sequence. The first hit would have its action performed and the list parsing would stop.

Example actions: RING(ring the phone), VM(send to voice mail), BUSY(indicate the line is busy), DISCONNECT(play a number disconnected message), FORWARD, etc. A great addition would be a MESSAGE action, which would play a recorded message (similar to a voicemail outgoing message) in a loop until the caller hung up (or some time limit expired, etc.).

Example personal set of rules:
RING 123-456-7890
VM 123-111-2222
DISCONNECT 123-***-****
RING DEFAULT

In this example, assume I am called by a CID matching 123-555-5555. Looking at the rules list in order, the first rule is not a match, nor is the second. The third rule matches (based on wild cards) so the number-disconnected message gets played.

Another example, assume I was called by 111-555-1212. Here, none of the first three rules is a match, but DEFAULT matches anything else (and should only be used as the last rule), so the number makes my phone ring.

I realize that many ooma users won't be able to grasp the idea of regular expression parsing however I also feel that this would be trivial for ooma's developers to include (and perhaps only enable for customers that request it through a preference somewhere). I've been receiving calls from numbers whose CID reports, for example, "3" and "1007" lately. (Telemarketers have no ethics!) I would use the combination of a rule parser and regular expression matching to include, for example: DISCONNECT [0-9]{0,6} -- sending any CID that had fewer than 7 digits to the number disconnected message.

Thanks for listening...
#57236 by heilpern
Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 am
The reason I made the request is along the lines of the reason I switched to ooma in the first place... I've been receiving phone calls from the same company, based outside of the US, trying to sell me a product I am not interested in. This company calls me very frequently, and ignored my repeated request that they stop.

Initially they were spoofing their CID to show as 888-888-8888. I bought ooma and paid for a premier subscription in order to use the blacklist feature, and this worked for several days. More recently, however, they have been spoofing the CID and have not repeated the same value -- however most of the time, they've been four digit numbers. Looking at my incoming call log, I see:

5/29: their CID was 3 (yes, a one digit calling number!)
6/1: CID was 1007
6/2: CID was 1024
6/3: CID was 1021

Bottom line here is that the blacklist feature is not working against this highly unreputable caller/company, and I need a better way to deal with it. My wife asks me why we even continue to have home phone service, and while I would prefer to not get rid of it, I need this resolved. I accept that better blacklist support can't happen overnight, and I accept that a decision by ooma to do more won't happen overnight either. I would really like to be told something though, without a promise of future roadmap, with as many disclaimers as you feel is necessary, just so I know my issue is not falling on deaf ears.
#57253 by heilpern
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 pm
I've been on donotcall.gov list since its inception and I renewed before the automatic 5 year expiration. The company calling me is based in India, and seems to not really care about US laws. Clearly, their willingness to spoof CID shows their lack of ethics.

Thank you for the response though... since becoming listed on the DNC list, my telemarketing calls have been reduced by a significant amount, so the list does something at least.
#57254 by murphy
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:50 pm
heilpern wrote:I've been on donotcall.gov list since its inception and I renewed before the automatic 5 year expiration. The company calling me is based in India, and seems to not really care about US laws. Clearly, their willingness to spoof CID shows their lack of ethics.

Thank you for the response though... since becoming listed on the DNC list, my telemarketing calls have been reduced by a significant amount, so the list does something at least.

For reference purposes for future readers the do not call list is now permanent.
The expiration and need to renew was done away with.