Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#56809 by sadeveloper
Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 am
Since the oome telo is connected directly to my network...
Is there software (from ooma or somewhere else) that will allow me to dial from my computer?
Mac or PC?

Also would like to have caller ID displayed on computer.

Thanks
#56812 by Groundhound
Thu May 27, 2010 9:33 am
sadeveloper wrote:Since the oome telo is connected directly to my network...
Is there software (from ooma or somewhere else) that will allow me to dial from my computer?
Mac or PC? Not at this time.

Also would like to have caller ID displayed on computer. There are third party programs available that will display CID. You just have to have a computer modem that is CID capable (like a fax modem) to plug into your Ooma line.

Thanks
#57875 by nn5i
Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:14 am
Very few modems, even the ones advertised as caller-ID capable, actually can provide caller-ID. This was a surprise to me, but I have tested many.

There are two kinds of caller-ID:

Type I cID sends information when the phone is on-hook and ringing; it sends a string between the first and second rings, using Bell 202 signaling. This requires extra hardware in the modem to receive, and almost no modems can do it. The built-in modems in some Toshiba and Dell laptops can do it, but I have found no others.

Type II cID sends information during a call as part of the "call waiting" feature. This can be implemented in firmware in the modem, with no extra hardware required. Essentially every modem that is advertised as cID-capable can receive and interpret type-II cID, because then they can advertise on the box that it's cID-capable.

In the process of designing a custom call-intercepting-and-routing system that treats each caller differently according to his cID information (don't answer or ring phonesets for this guy; send that guy to an announce-only system; ring these phonesets but not those phonesets for this other guy; etc), I spent weeks testing hundreds of modems. The only ones I ever found that could do type-I cID were the built-in modems in certain Toshiba and Dell laptops. I was astounded.
#62849 by philw132
Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:10 am
Caller ID is not very tricky at all..... most modems have the ability.

it all depends on the operating system.

mac/linux: there is a program called NCID ( http://ncid.sourceforge.net/ )it is a server/client program that reads the caller id off the modem and then allows you to transmit that caller id to all the computers in your network, i have a small condo however i have 3 laptops, a desktop and 2 HTPC media center computers, all linux. when my ooma phone rings, it displays caller id on all my computers including the HTPC computers that are connected to the tv. i have found that most modems are made for windows and called "winmodems" they will work, but not out of the box with linux/mac. the best thing to do is to get a "hardware modem"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product is a good example i have this exact modem (except i got it for 3 bucks at a flee market) it works out of the box no configurations no drivers no nothing.. it just worked.

windows 2000/xp/vista/7: almost any modem will work out of the box with the proper driver disk/cd/download..... using software called YAC ( http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/ ) it will do the same exact function as NCID on linux...... no effort. you install it, tell it what modem to use and your done, ready to see caller id on your computer.

Using either method just connect a spliter to your ooma phone port, and plug it into the modem.. it still will not let you "dial" from the computer. I have heard of devices that use a SIP gateway connected to the phone port and allows you to use a SIP softphone.. i heard it works great and can be used with any service (magicjack,ooma,at&t etc) but i cannot remember the name of the device and i have never used it myself.

Hope this helps!
Phil
#63023 by philw132
Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:38 pm
Just curious.. you are looking to just dialout on the computer.. and then pickup the speakerphone or are you looking to use the computer as a phone (using either speakers and a mic or a headphone with a boom mic) ?

burnside wrote:I'd like to see a way to dial from my PC as well.
#63071 by burnside
Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:12 am
Yeah, just dialout from my computer and use the speakerphone. If there was an app that stored your contacts and did this, even better!
#63084 by philw132
Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:22 am
What operating system do you use? (WinXP/vista/7 or linux/mac?
I think I might have a link at home for a piece of software that does just that.. However it is useless on win7 or vista

burnside wrote:Yeah, just dialout from my computer and use the speakerphone. If there was an app that stored your contacts and did this, even better!