Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#57486 by bw1
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 am
airban wrote:This is a must - especially if you have a home based business. Why is this not a feature?

Umm, because it's designed for "residential service".

I don't think they're against someone who's working out of their home or working from home as long as you don't violate the terms of service and your usage is within reasonable residential limits. See https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions

Perhaps when they come out with a SOHO solution it will include on-hold music.
#57502 by oomg
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:14 am
It has been a while, but I seem to recall some phones that provided a plug to connect a radio or other audio device in order to provide music (or news, or ???) on hold.
#57815 by nn5i
Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:34 am
There are devices you can add between the Ooma box and your phonesets. Most are inexpensive.

But there is no one kind of music that everyone likes; why would you choose to annoy your customers that way? It's bad enough being on hold, but having to listen to someone else's musical tastes surely increases the likelihood that the customer will get mad and hang up.

On the other hand, such a capability can be used as a sales tool, or even simply to assure the waiting caller that the connection has not been dropped. This too is annoying, but (if the intervening silences are long, a minute or so) not quite so annoying as someone else's musical choices.

But Ooma is targeted to a home-phone audience, not to a business-phone audience.
#57827 by southsound
Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:43 am
nn5i wrote: On the other hand, such a capability can be used as a sales tool, or even simply to assure the waiting caller that the connection has not been dropped. This too is annoying, but (if the intervening silences are long, a minute or so) not quite so annoying as someone else's musical choices.

I had to call a company for advanced support recently. I think it was about 2 minutes into their constantly repeating 20-second promo telling "how much they cared about me" and "how important my call was" that I decided I would never buy a thing from them again. The kicker was that I was on hold for a total of 18 minutes - that's 54 iterations of their senseless promo. You can imagine how hard it was for me to be polite to the support technician when I finally got a chance to talk to him. :shock:
#57945 by airban
Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 am
nn5i wrote:There are devices you can add between the Ooma box and your phonesets. Most are inexpensive.

Can you name one?
#58051 by nn5i
Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:32 am
airban wrote:
nn5i wrote:There are devices you can add between the Ooma box and your phonesets. Most are inexpensive.

Can you name one?

One I'm familiar with (because I've used it for ten years or more) is Friday, marketed by Bogen. I'm sure this model must be out of production; but I've seen several others I can't now remember. I don't use this feature, but it's there. The reason I don't use it is that I think music-on-hold is an abomination.

Because this feature seems distinctly uninteresting and undesirable to me, I don't remember specific models; but it seems to me that it's a pretty common feature of quite a few answering machines, for example. Or you can build one yourself for about five bucks worth of parts.