Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#56462 by MILLIWAYS
Sun May 23, 2010 4:22 pm
Member since Mar 2009 Its a great service until you have a problem. At the beginning of this month my phone number started giving incoming calls a "number not in service message".. during my many phone calls i told them repeatedly that i could make calls out and to it from other voip phones in the ooma system and that the only problem was the number was not routing correctly through the standard landline (POTS) telephone system switches. Almost amonth later (today) they called me and said that they have discovered that verizon has ported my number???? If so then why is it going to a disconnected message.. also if they were informed of the port why is it still working on their system and why didnt they contact their customer (me) to verify it. I was informed that I would have to call verizon and get it straight. That they can do nothing. Isnt this slamming and doesnt the phone carrier that has the number (ooma) have to give permission for another carrier (verizon) to port the number they own? I was told they have no control over their numbers (like a normal carrier does) and that I will have to take it up with verizon personally. And this is from one of the level 3 switch engineers.

I don't know about everyone else but I need my number to be more reliable than ..."we have no control" and it taking a month to figure out what happened. I figure that with the cost of the unit and the 2 yrs of premium service I have paid for. I could have gotten equal voip service from one of the major carriers with probably the same crappy service but at least I'd still have a working number
#56464 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 4:52 pm
What happened? Not following. Your ooma number ported out to Verizon without your permission? If someone from ooma told u they can't do anything, they are not understanding what's going on or they are smoking something. Of course they need to help u get it fixed with Verizon. U can even file a FCC complaint against Verizon. That will get their attention real fast.
#56468 by MILLIWAYS
Sun May 23, 2010 6:24 pm
lbmofo wrote:What happened? Not following. Your ooma number ported out to Verizon without your permission? If someone from ooma told u they can't do anything, they are not understanding what's going on or they are smoking something. Of course they need to help u get it fixed with Verizon. U can even file a FCC complaint against Verizon. That will get their attention real fast.

Yes, according to ooma level 3 support they are unable to help retrieve my number from verizon, which according to ooma was ported by verizon without my knowledge. I will file the fcc complaint of course, but I have checked with ooma and they are adamant that they cannot help in retreiving the number they were entrusted with. Not a company I feel I will be able to continue service witrh.
#56469 by MILLIWAYS
Sun May 23, 2010 6:30 pm
DTMF wrote:I hope you don't reward Verizon with more business after they slammed you into their service. :o

http://www.fcc.gov/cib/consumerfacts/slamming.html

Well, I certainly can't justify rewarding ooma for letting their customer get screwed and providing no help or advice except "good luck straightening it out" I would at least expected to begiven advice and phone numbers of who specifically to call and possibly some help in bypassing the lower levels and getting it resolved quickly. But then, I'm not a new ooma customer and they already have my money.... lesson learned
#56473 by doug
Sun May 23, 2010 8:34 pm
MILLIWAYS wrote:I was informed that I would have to call verizon and get it straight. That they can do nothing. Isnt this slamming and doesnt the phone carrier that has the number (ooma) have to give permission for another carrier (verizon) to port the number they own? I was told they have no control over their numbers (like a normal carrier does) and that I will have to take it up with verizon personally. And this is from one of the level 3 switch engineers.

I have heard (but I am not in the industry) that even after a port the number is still "owned" by the original issuer. So if the number had originally been with Verizon, they may still be the "owner" and can put through a port back to themselves. That said, if they did that without your explicit authorization, that may still be slamming. Another carrier should not be able to push through a port though (as I understand it).

This capability may not be all bad -- it suggests that should the unthinkable happen and Ooma goes out of business, it should be possible for the original carrier/LEC to reclaim the number so you don't have to lose it. Then port once again to the new carrier of choice.
#56475 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 9:50 pm
doug wrote:I have heard (but I am not in the industry) that even after a port the number is still "owned" by the original issuer. So if the number had originally been with Verizon, they may still be the "owner" and can put through a port back to themselves. That said, if they did that without your explicit authorization, that may still be slamming. Another carrier should not be able to push through a port though (as I understand it).

The consumer owns the number. No one can port that number to anywhere without the consumer's (owner) permission. If the consumer ports a number out of some carrier that originally owned the number and then deactivates the service (no matter how many carrier hops), the number goes back to the original carrier.