Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#55934 by mrthreeplates
Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 pm
Hi fellow OOMA users,

What led you to getting an OOMA?

For me it was getting fed up with my cable companies' triple-play price increases. I was originally
motivated to cut the cord from my cable TV subscription, but I was worried that they would
get me on my phone bill. I've been a subscriber of Vonage in the past, and was prepared to
go back to them when I ran across OOMA (and the Telo).

I must say that I was a little nervous about taking the plunge, but it has all worked out great so far.
OOMA's service has glitched a few times, but nothing tragic (and for all I know it was my ISP's fault).
I give OOMA high marks, and they were especially helpful in transferring my phone number.

Anyway, all part of my cutting the cord journey. Thanks to OOMA, my "cutting the cord" includes
my phone too.

Here is my cutting the cord story, for your amusement:

http://www.cuttingthebills.com/2010/04/ ... -cord.html

and specifically, the part about OOMA:

http://www.cuttingthebills.com/2010/04/ ... rvice.html

Cheers,

George
#55937 by lbmofo
Tue May 18, 2010 2:05 pm
Nicely done and welcome. You know that Telo does have the RRF right? Either the $11.75 per year or the monthly according to zip.
#55947 by mrthreeplates
Tue May 18, 2010 3:27 pm
Actually, no... I didn't know about the RRF, but I can't say I'm surprised. Can you
provide a link? Searching for RRF in OOMA's knowledge base returns no results.

Much thanks,

George
#55952 by mrthreeplates
Tue May 18, 2010 3:57 pm
Thanks for the link! I suspected this was coming, and am not complaining.

However, I am puzzled how I missed the charges. I recalling looking all over the website
before purchasing and never found any definitive info on fees. Sadly, I threw away the
box so I can't check the fine print.

Now that I log into my account, it clearly says that I will get charged
$11.75 per year (after the first year). I can certainly live with that.

Best Regards,

George
#55970 by Hollywood
Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 pm
from what I understand, the new telos have a small monthly fee written on the box as of a few months into 2010. the first "telo's" had the fees on the box as $11.75/year after the first year.

sounds like the one you got was the current model, but was a few months older as far as the stores stock, so Ooma is registering it with the fees stated on your box. a lot of people would buy another one if they could find ones with the yearly wording. I read where 2 people bought their Ooma's the same time at the same store and got different packaging and therefore different fees.

sounds good for you! :)
#56010 by allo
Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 am
mrthreeplates wrote:Hi fellow OOMA users,

What led you to getting an OOMA?

Anyway, all part of my cutting the cord journey. Thanks to OOMA, my "cutting the cord" includes
my phone too.

George

Title "Cutting the Cord with OOMA" a little misleading... it gives the impression the other way around, before one reads the post!... I would use "Cutting the Cord THANKS TO OOMA"
#56503 by mrthreeplates
Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 pm
This fee business is a bit confusing so I called OOMA sales and had a nice long chat with a very friendly sales person. Here is what she told me:

Hub/Scouts are no longer being made, but you can still find them in stores (and I assume buy them from OOMA).

Early Hub/Scouts had no fee associated with them, but there aren't many of these left on store shelves. Best bet is to try Radio Shack or some smaller retailer. Look for boxes that say nothing about fees on the side.

Later Hub/Scouts (and very early Telos) had an $11.75 yearly fee associated with them. Again, this should be marked on the box. I seemed to have gotten one of the early Telos - lucky me.

The latest Telos and Hub/Scouts both have a $3.47 monthly fee. There aren't that many Hub/Scouts that have this fee as the product was discontinued.

BTW: If this type of info isn't posted prominently somewhere in a sticky, it should be.

Happy hunting!
#56517 by sfhub
Mon May 24, 2010 1:37 pm
mrthreeplates wrote:Later Hub/Scouts (and very early Telos) had an $11.75 yearly fee associated with them. Again, this should be marked on the box. I seemed to have gotten one of the early Telos - lucky me.

The latest Telos and Hub/Scouts both have a $3.47 monthly fee. There aren't that many Hub/Scouts that have this fee as the product was discontinued.

The early "Hub/Scouts" were called Ooma Core (Hub+Scout) Bundle. These don't have fees.

I don't think they ever manufactured Ooma Core's which had fees.

Later on the unbundled the product and sold a "Standalone Hub". Those are the ones that started having fees, either $11.75 or the monthly.

I mention this because "Hub/Scout" terminology is ambiguous when it comes to Ooma and can be confusing (more so than the pricing already is)