Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#55857 by heilpern
Tue May 18, 2010 6:27 am
From one of the site blog entries:
Ooma Premier, which costs $9.99/mo or $119.99/yr.

Most companies that provide subscription services offer a discount if one chooses to subscribe for a year, rather than month to month. Unless my calculator is broken, Ooma charges a premium to subscribe for the full year, rather than keeping the flexibility of monthly billing. A small premium, sure (11 cents), but is this really what is intended?

I received incentive to subscribe for my first year (free number porting) -- assuming my two free months didn't get overwritten. Is there an incentive in the future to pay using this model that otherwise benefits ooma and offers me less flexibility?
#55859 by DTMF
Tue May 18, 2010 6:49 am
I guess the primary benefit here is the subscriber's time savings from not having to mess with budgeting 12 separate payments. If the savings in time is worth more to you than 11 cents, then the annual payment is the way to go. ;)
#55861 by bw1
Tue May 18, 2010 6:56 am
heilpern wrote:assuming my two free months didn't get overwritten.


Your Premier subscription starts after your Premier trial ends.

Up until the end of last year, Premier was priced at $12.99 per month or $99.99 per year. I'm not sure why they lowered the monthly rate and raised the yearly rate such as they did.
#55887 by Groundhound
Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 am
The year pre-paid incentive is stated at the bottom of the Premier feature list: http://www.ooma.com/premier/features
If you decide to keep Ooma Premier after your free trial, you'll pay just $119.99/year or $9.99 per month. Sign-up for a year of Ooma Premier and we'll transfer your number (a $39.99 value) or get an Ooma Telo Handset (a $49.99 value) for free!
#55899 by burnside
Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 am
What's the incentive though after your first year is up? When I was with Vonage, it was at the least 10% off the monthly price. I think paying $108 instead of $120 a year would add up to a nice incentive.
#55901 by heilpern
Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 am
Groundhound wrote:The year pre-paid incentive is stated at the bottom of the Premier feature list: http://www.ooma.com/premier/features
If you decide to keep Ooma Premier after your free trial, you'll pay just $119.99/year or $9.99 per month. Sign-up for a year of Ooma Premier and we'll transfer your number (a $39.99 value) or get an Ooma Telo Handset (a $49.99 value) for free!
Yes -- as I already noted in my original post. That won't be much incentive the following year, however.
#55902 by murphy
Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 am
Not paying Vonage $564.00 per year for two 500 minute lines was a huge incentive for me.
#55903 by burnside
Tue May 18, 2010 10:50 am
murphy wrote:Not paying Vonage $564.00 per year for two 500 minute lines was a huge incentive for me.


Same here, but we are more interested in what paying for a full year really gets you. For Ooma, they like customers paying for a full year because it's cash available immediately and locks the customer up for that year. So for Ooma, they get a nice incentive. For the customer, going month to month means they can just quit anytime before that year is over and pocket that difference. Nice incentive for the customer. So, where's the incentive for the customer paying for a full year?
#55904 by Groundhound
Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 am
burnside wrote:For the customer, going month to month means they can just quit anytime before that year is over and pocket that difference. Nice incentive for the customer. So, where's the incentive for the customer paying for a full year?

For the Telo user it would be the free handset. For others the only incentive is locking in the Premier price for a year.
#55912 by sfhub
Tue May 18, 2010 11:46 am
First year incentive is the handset or the port.

After the first year, you could always switch to monthly if having no incentives bothered you.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests