Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#55700 by Groundhound
Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 am
ed-wi wrote:Please,

Let discuss the life of the Ooma box and the cost to update after the first year. :cool:

Ed

As you probably know, the "box" is covered by warranty for the first year, but you can buy extensions to that warranty if you don't feel lucky. Otherwise the cost to update once the warranty expires is whatever you can buy a new or refurbished unit for from whatever retailer you prefer and have your old account transferred over.
#55708 by southsound
Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 pm
ed-wi wrote:Please,

Let discuss the life of the Ooma box and the cost to update after the first year. :cool:

Ed

I once asked one of ooma's super techs what he used for a phone on his desk. He told me that it was an ooma hub, so I asked him how long he had been using it. When he told me 2007-ish, I asked about problems and/or repairs. He told me he has only had the "pushed" upgrades like all of the users - he just gets them a little faster as part of the internal beta program. I've used a hub for a little over a year and my Telo since August. Again, no problems with either device. I'm comfortable that if it works when you first get it, it might have the same life span as other low powered electronic devices. My DSL modem is over 3 years old (I got it from a friend a year ago) and some of my other network gear is 5+ years old. I use a UPS on all of my electroic devices whish may help. Of course, that doesn't mean that lightning won't strike tomorrow and take them down, but it does offer some protection from normal surges.

My guess is that before either yours or my systems need replacements we'll be so enamored by the features of the new Ooma Très that we'll gladly retire our hub or Telo.
#55709 by Groundhound
Sun May 16, 2010 1:51 pm
southsound wrote:My guess is that before either yours or my systems need replacements we'll be so enamored by the features of the new Ooma Très that we'll gladly retire our hub or Telo.

Shush! You know you're not supposed to talk about the Très! It's top secret! ;)
#55713 by southsound
Sun May 16, 2010 2:05 pm
I guess I'm also pretty bad at manners, Ed. Welcome to ooma and to the forum! You're going to like it here!
#55729 by southsound
Sun May 16, 2010 8:45 pm
Groundhound wrote:
southsound wrote:My guess is that before either yours or my systems need replacements we'll be so enamored by the features of the new Ooma Très that we'll gladly retire our hub or Telo.

Shush! You know you're not supposed to talk about the Très! It's top secret! ;)

Sorry, I didn't think it would be a problem because it is still a ways off. Anyways, not too many people are monitoring this thread so it should be OK. :P
#55731 by southsound
Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 pm
This might be a good time for me in invoke my cloak of silence so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
#55775 by gregg098
Mon May 17, 2010 12:53 pm
You can always get a good credit card that has free warranty extensions. All Amex's do it and many Visa's and MC's. It doubles the manufacturers warranty (up to 1 year) for free on new (not refurb) items. Ive heard that some Visa's even allow for purchasing extended warranties for really cheap compared to Best Buy and others like it.