Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#55558 by sfhub
Fri May 14, 2010 12:31 pm
I'm not sure if you can really determine whether they are getting a deal or not unless you know what Basic Plus includes. Also you are comparing whether they are getting a deal or not to the Telo pricing you are used to, but new customers might not be looking at things the same way. (It always amazes me that for a $200 discount on a newer model smartphone, they would be willing to sign a 2yr contract to pay $480+ more in service fees, for the same voice/data service they already have)

Ooma might be experimenting with different ways to market their product. They might end up (and this is all conjecture) with multiple pricing models to appeal to different people.

They might have
$249 for the unit, with $0 service fees + taxes for Bare Bones Basic
$99 for the unit, with $9.99 service fees + taxes for Basic Plus
$0 for the unit, with $12.99 service fees + taxes for Basic Gold(Vonage edition)

Now if you are a Vonage customer, maybe the last one appeals to you because, the theoretical "Basic Gold" matches your Vonage feature set and the service fees are less and you don't pay for the unit, same as on Vonage. To them it is basically, why pay $17.99 when you can pay $12.99. Good deal for them. However they could get an even better deal putting out $249, but then they need to worry about when they break even and whether Ooma will make it that far. The break even point currently is still relatively short if you don't need Premier service, but if you do need additional services, it keeps getting longer and longer as Ooma changes its pricing for new customers.

Maybe for the cost conscious willing to take a leap of faith, the first one makes more sense.
#56547 by levelbest
Mon May 24, 2010 4:54 pm
Lower barrier/cost of entry at $99 - lower monthly cost that vonage. Guessing it's just another way of marketing the service rather than having folks pay $250 up front.
#56548 by allo
Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm
levelbest wrote:Lower barrier/cost of entry at $99 - lower monthly cost that vonage. Guessing it's just another way of marketing the service rather than having folks pay $250 up front.

I could be a return/"refurbished"... It doesn't say "new" either.

FREE with a $9.99 a month for 24months commitments would be a deal... but I don't think there will be many takers at $99 + $9.99 a month for basic service. when they can get a cheaper deal ( pay as you go) elsewhere!
#56556 by sfhub
Mon May 24, 2010 8:11 pm
allo wrote:but I don't think there will be many takers at $99 + $9.99 a month for basic service. when they can get a cheaper deal ( pay as you go) elsewhere!

It isn't for "Basic" service.

It is for "Basic Plus" service. We don't know what that is. *Hypothetically* what if "Basic Plus" was "Premium w/o 2nd incoming phone #"? I don't know what it includes, I'm just making that up. Once we know what "Basic Plus" is and what the term (if any) is, then we can make judgments on whether it is a value or not.
#56581 by Dennis P
Tue May 25, 2010 8:57 am
The "Basic Plus" service plan is our "Basic" service plan that normally comes with the Telo but also includes Enhanced Voicemail (call screening, voicemail attachments, DND/send-to-voicemail) which is normally $4.99 per month. Premier is still a $9.99 add-on though.

This alternate pricing model caters to the buyer who is looking for a lower barrier to entry and doesn't mind paying a low monthly fee for that flexibility.
#56588 by lbmofo
Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am
Dennis P wrote:This alternate pricing model caters to the buyer who is looking for a lower barrier to entry and doesn't mind paying a low monthly fee for that flexibility.

Thanks for the info. Different strokes for different folks.
#58655 by emarkay
Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:24 pm
Links don't mention Hub anymore - see nothing on anything other than "Free" and "Premier" for Hub users. Correct?