Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#55082 by jpainter
Sun May 09, 2010 12:38 pm
I just purchased the Ooma Telo and one of the Ooma handsets. I set up two Ooma phone numbers in preparation for porting my existing two land line phone numbers (after I figure the Telo system out).

Is there a wireless "land line' phone system that will work well with the Telo and will allow me to use both Telo numbers? I'm talking about one of the systems that has a base station and supports multiple wireless handsets that can be placed throughout the house.

Any input on this would work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jean Painter
#55084 by murphy
Sun May 09, 2010 12:59 pm
To use a second line on a Telo as a dedicated line your only choice is a Telo handset. Only one Telo handset can be assigned to the dedicated line.

If you leave both numbers shared, they will both ring on the shared handsets. You can force the caller ID of the second number to be used by preceding the dialed number with **1.

You can't use both numbers at the same time unless oneof them is dedicated to a Telo handset.
#55087 by jpainter
Sun May 09, 2010 1:41 pm
Thanks for the reply. Let me make sure I understand what you're telling me.

First, I would like all phones to ring for both numbers. Is this what you mean by "shared numbers"?

Currently I have one "stand alone" phone connected directly to the Telo and one Ooma handset is in another part of the house.

I set up two different ring tones, so I can tell which number a call is coming in on. Both phones ring on both numbers. So far so good.

My question is, if I replace the "stand alone" phone with one of those landline systems that includes a base and multiple remote wireless handsets, will all of the remote handsets receive the rings for both lines? If so, would the phone automatically answer whichever one is ringing?

I'm not sure what this means: " You can force the caller ID of the second number to be used by preceding the dialed number with **1."

Thanks sooooo much,
Jean
Last edited by jpainter on Mon May 10, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
#55089 by murphy
Sun May 09, 2010 1:52 pm
Yes to all questions.

With two shared numbers when you make a call the caller ID that will be sent to the caller will be the caller ID of the first number.

You can force the caller ID of the second number to be sent instead by dialing **1 and then the phone number of the person that you are calling.
#55130 by jpainter
Mon May 10, 2010 12:52 am
It looks like one of the multi-handset systems will work. What systems are others using that have good distance range from the base and work will with the OOMA? Are there any features I should be sure to look for?

Thanks for all input,
Jean
#55143 by southsound
Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 am
jpainter wrote:It looks like one of the multi-handset systems will work. What systems are others using that have good distance range from the base and work will with the OOMA? Are there any features I should be sure to look for?

Thanks for all input,
Jean

I love my Uniden 1580-5 multiple handset DECT 6.0 system. It has a very easy to read screen, great speakerphone, handset to handset intercom, abililty to have several of the handsets on the same call for when Billy or Sally call home from college and mom and dad both want to talk. The only feature it is missing is the ability to use it with a headset. The system does have a built-in answering system that can be turned off. My system was about $80 for the base and all 5 handsets from Staples during a sale.

Most important for any new cordless purchase: Avoid 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz systems. The 2.4ghz phones are guaranteed to mess with your wireless network and some of the 5.8ghz systems use 2.4ghz for control signals. The DECT 6.0 systems use a clean spectrum of 1.9ghz - and they come with a slew of previously unavailable features.
#76891 by richalger
Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 am
southsound wrote:I love my Uniden 1580-5 multiple handset DECT 6.0 system. It has a very easy to read screen, great speakerphone, handset to handset intercom, abililty to have several of the handsets on the same call for when Billy or Sally call home from college and mom and dad both want to talk. The only feature it is missing is the ability to use it with a headset. The system does have a built-in answering system that can be turned off. My system was about $80 for the base and all 5 handsets from Staples during a sale.

Most important for any new cordless purchase: Avoid 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz systems. The 2.4ghz phones are guaranteed to mess with your wireless network and some of the 5.8ghz systems use 2.4ghz for control signals. The DECT 6.0 systems use a clean spectrum of 1.9ghz - and they come with a slew of previously unavailable features.

Would you recommend the Model 1480-5BB? How is it different?
#76894 by tomcat
Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 am
richalger wrote:How do I tell if it can allow multiple people to talk at on the call at once?

The Unidens and Panasonics do, and I would assume most of the other brands do as well. To be sure though, you will want to look in either their feature list or in the specs in the manual.
#76897 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:02 am
Infomation Only:
We use Panasonic KX-TG6544B DECT 6.0 PLUS cordless talking phones, that we like very much. The handsets use common rechargeable batteries, so if the batteries fail in time, you just replace them with inexpensive common rechargeable batteries. We use four cordless phones with this system. All four phones are supposed to be able to be picked up and used at the same time. We have used three of the phones at the same time without problems, with a loud and clear signal.

What ever you do, when using the Ooma phone system, only purchase DECT 6.0 phones. Other phones may function okay, but you are taking a chance that they won't. Many times the other different bandwidth phones will confict with Ooma and/or with Wi-Fi.

If you purchanse DECT 6 phones, but still have other phones like 5.8 GHz cordless phones connected to your homes phone system, you may still have QoS problems.

If you are having Ooma QoS problems, you not only have to disconnect the cordless 5.8 GHz base phone line, but you have to disconnect the cordless 5.8 GHz phone base from power also. (I will still have echo and slight delay problems, with the 5.8 GHZ phone line disconnected from the house phone system, with only my old 5.8 GHz cordless phone base powered.)