Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#54723 by kbush13
Tue May 04, 2010 10:17 am
I have a FAX line that I'd like to eliminate. Several companies offer FAX->Email services where incoming FAXes are received, translated to a .PDF file, and sent to your email box. This would be a great feature to add to the Premier service. It would be even better if you would allow a 2nd line specifically for that purpose, and even better if I could port my existing FAX number to the 2nd line.

Thanks. KB.
#54744 by southsound
Tue May 04, 2010 2:30 pm
kbush13 wrote:I have a FAX line that I'd like to eliminate. Several companies offer FAX->Email services where incoming FAXes are received, translated to a .PDF file, and sent to your email box. This would be a great feature to add to the Premier service. It would be even better if you would allow a 2nd line specifically for that purpose, and even better if I could port my existing FAX number to the 2nd line.

Thanks. KB.

For a company to succeed in these tough economic times they need to focus closely on their core business. Although a FAX->Email service might be a nice feature for some of us, it is already provided by other companies who make it work for many people on a large scale.

I personally prefer that ooma concentrate on only one product - good quality VoIP phone service at a good rate. I can just think of the uproar from ooma customers if an announcement came out from Marketing that said "We are going to reassign the people who support your systems and work on improved code to a new group that is going to try to provide a new product that is not part of our core competency but something people would use." They would get thousands of complaints from ooma customers who are already wanting better customer support and a system where ALL of the features work like they should.
#54752 by sfhub
Tue May 04, 2010 3:06 pm
I understand the need to focus and I'd agree for some limited use feature.

However, VOIP issues with Fax are actually a big reason people are hesitant to drop a landline for VOIP. The first thing people ask when I mention Ooma/VOIP is whether everything they have on landline (including fax) will still work.

Sure there are solutions like yet another online fax provider (separate billing, separate phone #) or playing with your ECC and baud rate settings until you get it somewhat working with *99, but then you still can't get it to work with the fax machine overriding Ooma voicemail when it detects fax tones.

IMO, if Ooma just supported fax on the server side and emailed it to you, it would make the overall product a much easier migration for landline customers, which opens up the product to even more people, especially those that are not technically savvy. In fact, it would even be a pretty good selling point that switching to Ooma saves them even more money because they don't need to maintain their fax machine anymore. Personally I was considering recommending Ooma to some friends, but I know they are less technically inclined and their eyes gloss over when I start talking about ECM, baud rate, or introducing too many service providers.

I don't know about the core competency argument as most likely there are already solutions out there and this would be mostly integrating the fax solution into their back-end as opposed to implementing something from scratch. Sure it still takes effort, but integrating is usually far less than implementing. Voice transcriptions weren't Ooma's core competency either, but they got it integrated into the system.
#54768 by daet
Tue May 04, 2010 7:16 pm
sfhub wrote:I understand the need to focus and I'd agree for some limited use feature.

However, VOIP issues with Fax are actually a big reason people are hesitant to drop a landline for VOIP. The first thing people ask when I mention Ooma/VOIP is whether everything they have on landline (including fax) will still work.

Ooma has indicated they will implement a T.38 FoIP gateway, much like Vonage and some other VoIP providers have. I think offering this as a premiere service to residential customers would be more to their advantage than a Fax2Email service.

DG
#54819 by sfhub
Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 am
I think you'll find there will be some people who would prefer to continue using their existing fax machine at their home (through T.38) and others would prefer Ooma run a virtual fax machine for them. This would be similar to the choice of whether to use Ooma voicemail or use your existing answering machine. Ooma thought that most people wouldn't need the broadband answering machine and decided to drop it from basic, but when they did that, they found a lot of people complained and they added it back. Clearly fewer people use fax than voicemail, but IMO you'll get a similar split of opinions.

Having either T.38 or Ooma Broadband Fax would be better than what is existing. Personally I think T.38 should be a basic feature since Ooma is being considered as a product to replace your landline. Ooma Broadband Fax could be a Premier feature because it is something you don't have today.

It makes it easier to market Ooma if you can say it both costs less and performs the same or better as opposed to it costs less but some stuff might not work. Currently for Fax, Ooma works to varying degrees, but you can't really say it is as pain-free or compatible as landline.
#61437 by jimmi
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:29 pm
I just stated using ooma & this is the first thing i'd like to see.

Not its easier or not but the fax could also be part of the voicemail list, that is just a list of audio files & a player, add pdf's no?
#62359 by oomg
Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:12 am
Posted before... but I will say it again.
"IMHO, with the ability to attach a document to an email in PDF format, a fax machine is almost obsolete. However, there are occasions when I must use a fax to send or receive documents.

So, I am currently using the OneSuite efax system. Only $1.00 per month for unlimited incoming to one email address. They even provide a dedicated fax number If you think you need more, go for their $2.95 per month deal. Unlimited incoming faxes to as many as 5 email addresses, plus outgoing at 2.5 cents per page. Upon delivery of the fax, a copy with delivery confirmation is returned to your designated emal. You will need a scanner as outgoing copies use a pdf file to attach to the cover page. Very easy to use, and inexpensive as well." See: http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp

BTW... OneSuite does offer other services, including VOIP. However, I will stick with Ooma for VOIP.
#63055 by jm9496
Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:18 pm
Dude: just buy fax to email service for $1 from onesuite or callcentric. There is no reason that fax-> email service must depend on Ooma.